Electric and Grey Bori

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
daisybell

Electric and Grey Bori

Post by daisybell »

Not sure if there's another yet to be uploaded (given Eyrie day's single colour) but the electric is here.

I'm not going to news post here until the news on Neo goes up in case there's a second pet.
Last edited by daisybell on 13 Oct 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets wishlists: here
Noble fauf

Electric and Grey Bori

Post by Noble fauf »

The new bori colours are electric and grey! It helps me forget about a certain checkered gryphon.
ImageImage

The electric bori looks pretty nice to me. I like the stripes on the front legs, and the overall combination of threee shades of blue.

The grey bori has a nice droopy maroon tail, and the use of black complements the grey base colour.

[edit by Jazzy: merged two topics together]
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Re: Electric Bori

Post by TCStarwind »

Grey is boring. I can only imagine how awesome this would be if it came out pre-2.0. :< Electric is very nice, though. I like the navy they added. Compliments the rest of it well.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Re: Electric and Grey Bori

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Electric is rather pretty, for Electric. I like the deep blue backplates, and the stripes look carefully positioned rather than haphazard.

Grey's eyes are suitably pathetic, and I like the nothing-is-worth-it expression. I think they should have repositioned the tail, though.
Last edited by Rainbow Daydreamer on 13 Oct 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

TCStarwind wrote:Grey is boring. I can only imagine how awesome this would be if it came out pre-2.0. :<
Yes, just as awesome as the grey pteri and moehog and zafara and koi and oh gosh, so many awesome pets from several years ago.

Seriously, I'd rather have this than any of those.
Neopets wishlists: here
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, I have a grey skeith right now, and I do worry about it melting when I zap it. This is a dull Grey, but at least it doesn't make me long for it to change into a Quiggle or something, and I vastly prefer the new Bori base over the old, anatomically impossible one. I'm not sure whether an old Grey would've been great, like the Ixi and Gelert, or whether it would've taken the worst of the Bori anatomy with the worst of the melting Greys and ended up as something cringeworthy.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Oh, sure. Pick the worst ones out of the bunch. Every color has shining successes and hideous failures afterall (some more than others I'm sure). :P I still hate these 2.0 greys more than those. They're just so static. Other than frowny faces, there's no feeling to them. No drudgery. The UC grey kyrii is my uncontested favorite neopet of all time. Maybe it's just that I dislike the new boris, too. But whatever it is, I just don't like it and think it could have been better had it been done years ago.
varii

Post by varii »

We have to get over the whole 'wah wah wah, i miss redraws' thing. I do think that pets that were converted generally don't pull off the colour as well as ones that are released now for whatever reason but nowadays Grey is a simple colour which we generally get a new facial expression for. And since customization I've liked 4/5 grey pets released and the Bori is one of them. I actually like the grey bori a lot. The tones are nice and I think it really suites the pet. I actually kind of want one and I'm not a big Bori fan.

I don't like electric. That colour feels so stale to me.
rei @ neopets
invaderhorizongreen

Post by invaderhorizongreen »

i think electric is very nicely done and makes me almost want to get a bori and paint one electric the gray ones on the other hand look like a sad watered down shadow one who got their tail in a bucket of paint.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Electric's not bad at all. Minor niggles; the flashes are maybe a little too wide especially on the left front leg. A nice touch is that a lot of the flashes seem to be emanating from under its shell, although one creeps over the boundary into the lighter fur on its chest by a couple of pixels - not sure if that's intentional. Bit of an odd gap by its bum and neck.

Grey is probably as good as it's going to get given TNT decided to constrain it to a colourfill post-customsation, rather than a redraw. The plus point of this is that it can wear clothes - the downside being that there's little variety between Grey and bog-standard colourfills, and it becomes a 'has-been' colour rather than a 'must-have'*. Colours are nice enough, though, and it looks suitably peed off.

* Yes, there were some truly awful greys pre-Customisation - but also some truly wonderful ones. Variety is the spice of life, and whether we got a good Grey or a bad Grey we were at least going to get something different.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

daisybell wrote: Yes, just as awesome as the grey pteri and moehog and zafara and koi and oh gosh, so many awesome pets from several years ago.

Hey! I like the UC grey zafara! Looks like a hunchback. Neato! There's nothing wrong with wondering what this pet would have looked like pre 2.0. Grey is my favorite UC color, I think the exection of the color eventually became better than plushie, but that's just me. Grey is a boring in particular on the bori. However its a color, like faerie, that's lost much of its charm without the emotion in redrawing the poses. I'm pretty indifferent about any grey pet now. Just kinda like "Well its what they could do with the amount of limited space".

Electric feels as average as all the rest, but I do like the dark blue on the shell.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Kantark wrote: * Yes, there were some truly awful greys pre-Customisation - but also some truly wonderful ones. Variety is the spice of life, and whether we got a good Grey or a bad Grey we were at least going to get something different.
My thoughts exactly, Chris. There were plenty of bad pre-customization Greys - and Faeries and Royals, blah blah blah. It doesn't mean you can't wonder what a pet would look like pre-customization! I even own a post-customization Grey (not by choice; Arien was supposed to be a Grey Wocky but not after how those turned out! Hence him being a Kacheek instead) but I haven't really liked one that's come out since... because so much was in the pose, not just in the color. It could definitely make or break a few pets. I mean , one of my least favorite pets is probably the old Grey Pteri - god it's awful! But my favorite pet on the site still to this day is the old Grey Ixi.

That being said, I don't think Grey is particularly bad on the Bori, but I do think it's boring, and with the price of Grey being what it is... no thanks. Maybe that's what bothers me xD It seems grey PBs are 6 mil, so their price has been rather.. stagnant (there's also only two on trades, so it's hard to tell), but 6 mil is a lot to pay for a colorfill.

Electric is just... a generic electric, but I guess Boris don't have much you can do with them as far as that goes xD I don't really like it though; the bolt going down the Bori's forehead is -really- bothering me because it's not matching the flow of the hair or the shape of the face. It makes it look really pasted on and just... odd.

The clothes for Bori day were a pretty big disappointment too, but I think Boris are just one of those species that do not fair well with clothing on. Even my Faerie Bori just gets accessories like scarves and what not - anything that covers the shell looks really, really odd.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Yes, just as awesome as the grey pteri and moehog and zafara and koi and oh gosh, so many awesome pets from several years ago.
Don't forget the Grey Usul with the detachable head!
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
ChrisCool

Post by ChrisCool »

When will TNT ever release a great colour for Boris ? I'm still desperatly waiting for a Royal or Maraquan Bori... (Well, Halloween was great :))
champagnesoup

Post by champagnesoup »

I quite like the Grey Bori! I actually prefer the 'subtley sad' Grey pets of post-customisation to the often ridiculously depressed pre-customisation pets - then again, I would never own a Grey pet myself as I can't quite see the appeal of sad pets.

Electric is Electric, but nice enough. Something a little more spectacular would have been nice but when have Boris ever been spectacular?

On a more upbeat note, I really like the flapper outfit :D