Magma Pets: Xweetok pg1, all others from pg2

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Plushie Lenny

Magma Pets: Xweetok pg1, all others from pg2

Post by Plushie Lenny »

Thanx to Jellyneo
This pic is from a TNT Testing account, no news on how to get it yet, we'll just have to wait iuntil the offical release :(

What do you guys thik?
ZomgethMew

Re: 1st Look at the new "Magma" Pets: Magma Xweetok!!!!!

Post by ZomgethMew »

Hm, the rumours were true after all? o_O; It's.. not really my thing, but it's alright
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I... well. Hm.

I like the overall concept a lot - and it looks really good on a Xwee - and I know its on a testing account so maybe it'll change... but it just looks so -blurry- to me. It's really hard to look at because it just looks unfinished, somehow.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Why are there badages on the wrists? Is it a clothing item?

I don't care for it. It looks like black dandruff instead of lava flakes.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I don't like it, but that's because I have an irrational dislike of black being outlined in lighter colours. I don't know where it came from, but I twitch every time I see it in cartoons. Ick!
Not A Kitty

Post by Not A Kitty »

I think it looks really nice, but I can't see myself ever owning a pet like that. It does look like it would be hot to touch, which is more than I can say for most of the fire pets. But it would just look silly with clothes on.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

The bandages are the prize from the latest game challenge. They are not part of the pet.
waffle_x

Post by waffle_x »

I guess I'm alone on this but I really like it. The swirly designs on the knees as if the hardened magma was starting to crack is nice, and I like the way the fire is drawn. It's a different style of drawing, almost, but IMO I think it really works and looks good.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I don't see myself painting a pet in this color, but I think it's really, REALLY pretty.
Fury

Post by Fury »

It's a little bright but I really like it! They've clearly put a lot of effort into the design - the concept is good, the detail is great and it's significantly different to the Fire colour - so I'm really quite pleased with this. Bravo, artists!
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

it's significantly different to the Fire colour
Please explain what you find significantly different, because I really don't see it. It is still black with flames. It is shinier, but to me they could as well make it a fire update. :)

It's just that with all the options they have to make a new colour, they choose to make a version that is apparently the ancestor of the fire pet. (According to the comic.) So no, I'm in the "not impressed camp".
Fury

Post by Fury »

Marah wrote:
it's significantly different to the Fire colour
Please explain what you find significantly different, because I really don't see it. It is still black with flames. It is shinier, but to me they could as well make it a fire update. :)

It's just that with all the options they have to make a new colour, they choose to make a version that is apparently the ancestor of the fire pet. (According to the comic.) So no, I'm in the "not impressed camp".
Really?

Image Image

I don't know, they look pretty different to me. Yes there are flames are involved in both but... that hardly makes them identical. Magma is much more of a complete transformation than Fire, Magma being molten rock and all. They might be similar in as much as they both incorporate a heat themed element in their design but I don't agree that Magma should replace Fire pets altogether (not that I'd be bothered tbh, I've never wanted to own a Fire pet LOL).
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: 1st Look at the new "Magma" Pets: Magma Xweetok!

Post by Jazzy »

I think part of the problem is it's a colourfill. Not in a "customisation is awful and everything sucks like this" way, more that because they all follow the same lines for clothing compatibility, the place the Magma pet has fire is the same place the Fire version has fire. You can flick between the two in tabs and it looks like one is basically an overlay of the other (a slightly messier Fire). I don't dislike the colour apart from the aforementioned lighter outlining problem, but they do look awfully similar.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

The red does work within the body of the pet, giving it a resemblance to larva - black on the surface with cracks showing the red-hot rick underneath. But around the edges it doesn't really work and makes the whole pet look rather busy and unclear, and almost like a negative-image. The boundary between the tail and ruff, for example. There's far too much going on in the eyes.

It's such a different style from the usual I don't know whether I like it or not (above quibbles aside). With the right background and accessories it would look quite impressive. Whether it's something the site actually needs (given that we already have the conceptually-similar FIre pets) is debatable.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Faun

Post by Faun »

I like it. although I do think that they should make it a moltara colour instead of fire. that way, they could do steampunk pets as well as the magma pets.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter