Transparent and Silver Flotsams

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
NeonDragonfly

Transparent and Silver Flotsam

Post by NeonDragonfly »

Image Image

Transparent isn't my favourite colour, but the Flotsam looks ok.
Silver seems more grey than anything else, there's not much of a shine to it.
Hummingbird

Transparent and Silver Flotsams

Post by Hummingbird »

ImageImage

Transparent is okay, I guess...I like how you can see the rib cage curve around the side of the Flotty's body, and the skull isn't bad.

Silver on the other hand, is awful. It looks more like lead that's been through the dishwasher. That, and the shading looks terrible.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Transparent and Silver Flotsams

Post by AngharadTy »

I love transparent, and I actually rather like silver; it's weird in an appealing way. Maybe it's meant to be an actual dolphin-like patterning? Kinda sorta pacific white sided dolphin-y.
Image Image
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I've got larger images: ImageImage

And clothes: ImageImage
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Captain_Awesome

Post by Captain_Awesome »

Why is the left eye socket on the flotsam visible if the left eyes on normal flotsams aren't? It just looks stupid.

Silver, however, I quite like.
Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird »

Silver to me looks like some sort of inversion..
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh oh I know! I bet flotsams have a very large melon, for echolocation, which isn't showing up in the transparency because it's, uh, the same density as skin. I dunno. But if they had a huge blob of a melon there, that would make the skull shape a little odd.
Image Image
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I'd noticed the visible-eye and just figured like Ty that the front of the head that normally obscures the left eye was fleshy and did not show up in transparent form. I'm more surprised that it appears to have nostrils, I'd assumed Flotsams would have a blowhole. Its internal plumbing is a bit peculiar, extending to just a heart and intestines which both appear to operate in complete isolation. It's not floating upside-down so something must be working properly in there. Not a bad job but I'd say average rather than one of the best Transparents.

Silver. The reflection/shading is a bit puzzling, because there doesn't seem to be one simple light source. It's strongly lit from an area below and slightly to its left which creates the strong shadow above its top lip and the stark shadow line above its eye. But also there is a more diffuse light source above creating the reflections on its back and fin. Whatever's going on it doesn't look like a particularly bright silver (more a kind of polished lead like a few have noted already)... but it does look dolphin-like. I hope that was the intention because this really works well. With a suitable aquatic background (ideally with similar lighting, for example dappled light coming from the surface above and more direct light coming from below) it would look fantastic. I like this one.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Lou 500

Post by Lou 500 »

This is the only silver pet I actually like because it's been based off of the colour of a dolphin. I have to be picky with transparent though...

Looking at this and the fact that the flotsam is meant to be based off a dolphin, it shouldn't have bones in its dorsal fin or flukes. I'm also bothered by the right eye socket and nostrils.

But hey, it's a cartoon character and I'm just being pedantic.
invaderhorizongreen

Post by invaderhorizongreen »

meh both of them are ok still does not make me want to get this pet
Darigan

Post by Darigan »

Lou 500 wrote: it shouldn't have bones in its dorsal fin or flukes. I'm also bothered by the right eye socket and nostrils.
I'm not surprised since the Skeith has bones in the ears.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

When I saw silver in the news I thought "Hey, dolphin," right away. I do like silver for that. I figured coming here I'd see I wasn't the only one thinking silver looked like a bottle-nosed dolphin in coloration. At least a little.

The transparent one is wonky though. Of all the listed reasons, the one that still bugs me the most is the visible eye socket on the far side. Maybe in a stand-alone image it'd not bother me as bad, but with another flotsam sitting next to the transparent image it makes the visible eye a glaring (pun wasn't intended... at first) problem.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
MalionX

Post by MalionX »

I mentioned on the Flotsam day thread that a silver would look good since Dolphins are normally silvery in colour... but I didn't expect the colour to completely reflect what a real world dolphin would look like. It's nice.

The skull of the transparent flotsam looks downright demented, I like it. :)

Jazzyedit: please don't change the font colour of your posts. Thanks! (also, um - have you noticed your avatar?)