Transparent and Gold Moehog

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Kantark

Transparent and Gold Moehog

Post by Kantark »

Image Image

Transparent's got heart and a lot of guts, nothing out of the ordinary here. It looks rather cluttered in there, but the small body of the Moehog doesn't really lend itself to this kind of design so don't know what they could've done differently.

Gold is effective, very shiny like the more recent golds we've had.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
_neo_kami_91

Re: Transparent and Gold Moehog

Post by _neo_kami_91 »

Transparent: If the species doesn't really resemble a real-world creature, you don't have much of an idea of what the insides should look like. With the Cybunny and Hissi, their insides can be modelled on rabbits and snakes (with the exception of some features to make them distinct). But on species like the Wocky, Kyrii, or Jubjub, there's really no animal that you can compare it to. I'm in between with this one. I'm thinking warthog, but I don't know. Otherwise, its got a heart, guts, ribs, but no lungs, I see...how does it breathe?

Gold: First impression was lemon jelly/butter. Not sure what to make of it.

EDIT: Transparent - Wait, aren't the tusks a bone? They look pasted on and out of place...
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Yeah, those tusks look a bit prominent... I can't believe I glossed over those yesterday. I suppose it makes sense that they're white being external to the body whereas the bones under the skin have the yellower hue like they've been x-rayed. But they do look stuck on. And the body outline looks much darker in places too. Jeez I must've been tired or drunk or something to miss that lot.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Transparent's got heart and a lot of guts, nothing out of the ordinary here.
Haha, very true!

Transparent: It looks pretty anatomically sound, judging by a Warthog skeleton http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-pi ... p?file=314, if not a bit cramped. Personally, I'd rather have it be cramped than too empty. The biggest problem is the tusks - I realize that they're trying to keep them consistent with other Moehogs, but why would the tusks be while when the rest of the bones are yellow? They should be yellow too. Not to mention the black outlines aren't helping any.
Also, the eyes having light pupils just looks strange. :|

Gold: The shading is rather lovely, and follows the curves nicely. The only problem is one it shares with all gold pets - the values really need to be darker, as gold is very reflective. Having the values as they are leave the pets looking more like butter than gold. Still, that's a minor complaint.

Overall, two rather nice Moehogs.
Captain_Awesome

Post by Captain_Awesome »

Fun fact: teeth and bones are not one in the same
The enamel, dentin and pulp you find in a tooth are what make it a tooth and not a femur

your question is akin to asking why your palms and tongue are different colors

further more it should be understood that the skin on a transparent pet is probably somewhat opaque which changes the colors of the underlying bones and organs
_neo_kami_91

Post by _neo_kami_91 »

Captain_Awesome wrote:Fun fact: teeth and bones are not one in the same
The enamel, dentin and pulp you find in a tooth are what make it a tooth and not a femur

your question is akin to asking why your palms and tongue are different colors

further more it should be understood that the skin on a transparent pet is probably somewhat opaque which changes the colors of the underlying bones and organs
That really sounds like you're trying to prove that we're idiots. It sounds that way.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Nah, i just took it as a "hey guys, it's not the same thing. And keep this in mind, too."

There are still some wonky things, but this is a virtual pet site. There will be inconsistencies, creative stylization, "Huh, that isn't right" tidbits, and even "yeah, they actually got this pretty close if you think about it." If i had been concerned with expecting all of it to look "real," i would have started looking elsewhere long ago.

Golden butter and a fun simplified and stylized "anatomy lesson" on some Moehogs? Not really my thing, but i'm amused and appreciative that the artists gave us these. They're pretty good for their representative colors.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Captain_Awesome wrote:Fun fact: teeth and bones are not one in the same
Huh... I suppose that would be right. I never thought about it like that. :P It still looks a little strange on the pet itself, but it does perhaps make more sense now.