Transparent and Eventide Korbat

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
RNA
Human Avatar: 261756

Transparent and Eventide Korbat

Post by RNA »

ImageImage

The transparent - I like that it has somewhat plausible bone structure.
Eventide has non-sloppy gradient work on the wings, I think.
ImageImage
Kantark

Re: Transparent and Eventide Korbat

Post by Kantark »

Large(r) versions:

ImageImage

A good amount of blue and dark blue/stars on the body of the Eventide Korbat. The way the wings are shaded makes them look a bit like they're folded into a fan shape. Not bad!

Transparent has lots of detail - and lots of small bones! Along with the usual heart and intestines there's at least one other organ in there - a bluey-purple one on the right (liver?) and possibly something shadowy on the left too. Nice to see so much detail on this but, as the Korbat is one of the most diminutive of Neopets, some of the detail can be difficult to see - especially so on the smaller images.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird »

Well, I've always liked Korbats so I didn't turn my nose up at these two very much. Eventide is quite nice, but the lighter blue line that forms the lower curve of its body is really bugging me. Transparent is as good as transparent can get, in my opinion. The bone structure makes sense, and I'm loving the teeth. Just one thing spoiled it for me, though : why aren't there any bones in its ears?

And on a positive note, the new wearables are stunning, as are most korbat-specific wearables. :)
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Eventide is actually decent for a change. The gradients aren't as glaringly awful, and there are a lot of nice blues on most of it. The color-change outline is a bit out of place, though. What's wrong with solid black? Transparent is good. The bone structure actually looks possible (mostly). And, I know it's been mentioned before, but there aren't bones in the ears because ears don't have bones. That stuff you feel inside of them is actually cartilage. That said, WHY is there a little spade bone in the tail? I'd think that would be cartilage, too.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I really like both of these colors, so much detail and care put into a pet that just doesn't appeal to me much. I'm sure that if i were a Korbat fan, i would be all giddy over these colors. So for now, i'll just admire the color distribution on the Eventide (among the best we've seen so far) and the detail and anatomical care given to the Transparent (likewise).
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm still not sure about Eventide, because I don't like it when the outlines are lighter than the main body of colour, and I don't think red is a good outline for yellow. However, I'm really impressed by Transparent - my grasp of anatomy isn't perfect, but it looks surprisingly realistic for a cartoon bat. Nicely done!
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I hate wings that have fingers at the elbow joint (that's not how bat wings work), but it looks like the artist was constrained by original art, which clearly indicates some sort of structural support at that spot.

But, yeah, those large pics show a ton of detail, very nice new pets. Agreed that it's a shame the Korbat is so small you can't see the detail pretty much ever, but it is nice to know there are still dedicated artists on staff with an eye for the small things.

I really like how the wings on Eventide have an independent gradient to the body. I really like the end result of both of these, especially the large images that show all the details. I'm also a sucker for starscapes, so the fact that the Korbat has plenty of that helps.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Transparent: I really like how many small bones this has. The fact that it has a few more organs than usual - namely that blueish one to the right side - is a very nice detail. I also like how the heart is an actual heart instead of being a shape. And anatomy wise, this looks pretty darn plausible. The only problems I see with it are that the fingers are separate from the bones in the wings (bat wings are like really long webbed fingers), but the Korbat’s art seems to indicate otherwise anyway, so it makes sense. There probably wouldn’t be a bone in the tail tip either, as it would most likely be cartilage. But overall, this is really darn good.

Tl;dr - A nicely detailed addition to the Transparent color, with some of the most realistic anatomy so far.

Eventide: I really, really like this. There are no straight across gradients - each section has its own gradient, so no two colors are lined up. I love how they added the gradient to the wing - that’s a lovely touch that really makes the whole thing pop. If I had any suggestions for improvement, it would be that the colored lineart is mis-matched in some places, namely the bottom of the body, and that the dark starry part on the head merges with the ears a bit too much. Those are minor problems though, and overall I think this is one of my favorite Eventide pets so far.

Tl;dr - *grabby hands*