Split & Swamp Gas Pteris (Pterii, Pteri?)

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Kantark

Split & Swamp Gas Pteris (Pterii, Pteri?)

Post by Kantark »

ImageImage

Big-ass pictures, deal with it*

Split is the conventional deal, no attempt has been made to spice it up by swapping the tail colours or even the eyes. Good as far as it goes.

Swamp Gas, in comparison, is filled with detail. The large pic really shows up the blotchy skin texture. I like how the outline is dark green in the centre of the image but gets darker towards the edges - this really helps give the effect it's encompassed by a cloud of gas. 'Gas' pattern is possibly a bit dark towards its foot, but otherwise this is a nice creation.

*if this causes issues for anyone, let me know and I will shrink them.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Color Wheel

Re: Split & Swamp Gas Pteris (Pterii, Pteri?)

Post by Color Wheel »

Swamp Gas: Pretty good for the color. It’s nicely textured but not overpowering, the fumes are well placed, and the way the lineart is done gives it quite a bit of depth. I’m also found of the colors chosen for the beak and markings.

Tl;dr - Pretty well done.

Split: How... average. Nothing is flipped here - not the tail tip, which would have looked good, or the eyes, which while pretty, sort of blend in because of this. The tail colors bug me a bit too - I think it’s because it should be mostly orange, with the purple being just a strip along side it. Otherwise it ends up looking like it’s curved at a rather odd angle. Over all, it’s nothing bad, it’s just... there.

Tl;dr - Meh.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Re: Split & Swamp Gas Pteris (Pterii, Pteri?)

Post by thelonetiel »

Your footnote made me laugh Kantark. x)

I would've like to see some variation on split - especially the eyes seem really boring.

Swamp gas is fine. Do all swamp gas pets have so little contrast? I'd expect darker outlines, particularly when it comes to things like eyes. I don't like such dull eyes.

But mostly I liked the footnote.