8-Bit and Dimensional Shoyrus

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Daf

8-Bit and Dimensional Shoyrus

Post by Daf »

Image Image

The red fits the Dimensional theme very well, and I can't stand the 8-Bit's cuteness, his smile, and the clothes are very nice.
~
Daf

Re: 8-Bit and Dimensional Shoyrus

Post by Daf »

Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Ooops. Talked about the clothes but I didn't post them. Here they are, they are great, the sword is awesome.
~
niklnip

Post by niklnip »

Oh gosh, I absolutely love the Dimensional one! I'd get one if I had space... The color works very very well with the pet, and it's pulled off in such a way that it makes it bright, yet somehow subtle at the same time. It's not gaudy like the other ones.

8-bit... Something about it bothers me. I think it might be the head shape and the eyes. I dunno.

The clothes are really nice, too, although.... Hehe, there's something about the knight's armoury parts around the legs that bothers me. The dress is beautiful.
ImageImage
Daf

Post by Daf »

I think the 8Bit looks weird to you because you see both of the Shoyru's eyes, its strange. But I like it, the expression looks cute, and blue with orange clothes fits well.
A very good day for SHoyrus indeed!
~
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

The wibbly-looking knobby piece on the side of the head, like an ear, on the 8-Bit throws me off. Shoyrus don't have earlobes, do they?

I hope that if they do a Dimensional pet in a species i really like, it'll be in a color scheme i like. This one just doesn't do anything for me, but it's suitably neon-like.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Daf wrote:I think the 8Bit looks weird to you because you see both of the Shoyru's eyes,
It certainly looks a bit odd and I couldn't put my finger on why but I think you're right. Its lumpy head, as Fjorab pointed out, doesn't help either. Having said that, the pixels are well defined and all the same size, and it's only got about 14 different colours in it so it's a pretty realistic 8-bit. And it's very cute.

Dimensional, well it's red neon this time but pretty much the same pattern as we've seen before. Nice and glowy without being overwhelming.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
uberstav

Post by uberstav »

Shoyrus have two EYES?!?!?!?! O_O
Daf

Post by Daf »

Of course they have, but they are never shown at the same time.
~
MalionX

Post by MalionX »

I like seeing both their eyes... You used to see both eyes on the Pirate and Faerie shoyru, but oh well...

when I was younger I did think they only had one eye and that you were looking at the front of it's head.

I remember getting a lot of hell about that one. haha.

Oh well that person isn't on this board anymore :P
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

To be fair, the old pre-Customisation Shoyru was drawn in such a way that it was quite easy to envisage it with just the one eye:

In the post-Customisation 3/4 pose it is much more obvious that there's another eye just out of view on the other side of its head.

Bhy the way I missed this when I first commented, but those clothes that were released... the boy looks like he's dangerously close to cutting his own head off o.O
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
MalionX

Post by MalionX »

well obviously at the time it was pre-customization.

2004-05 I think. haha long time ago.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

It's actually funny to look through old pre-customization editorials in the Neopian Times and see JUST HOW MANY TIMES the question "Do shoyrus only have one eye?" was asked.
grizzegrijn

Post by grizzegrijn »

I like Dimensional. The eye is a bit weird, but that's probably just because it is so large.

8-bit on the other hand is awful. It just looks so... derpy. Other 8-bits I like but I really dislike this one.

Btw, am I the only one who never considered the thought Shoys might be one-eyed? Haha, the comments surprise me. I never looked at them that way.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

8-Bit: The expression and pose are very cute, I'll give it that. It's also one of the few 8-bits that seem to have keep the colour limitations in mind and kept the pixels all the same size.

The most bothersome thing about this is the eyes, at least to some extent - I don't think the problem is that you see both of them (As MalionX pointed out, you used to see both eyes on the old Faerie and Pirate Shoyrus), but rather that they're placed too close together. Shoyru's have really wide snouts, to the point where the eyes are almost on the sides of their head, and you don't see that here.

Also, the body is very... lumpy. 8-bit characters, when facing forward, are completely symmetrical. No two pixels line up on this, which makes the head look misshapen.

Tl;dr - More accurate than most 8-bit pets and very cute, though there are some problems with the face.

Dimentional: Red is a wonderful colour for this; it's not too glaring like some dimensional pets are, and yet you still get the sense that it is quite bright. The texturing's good and I have a feeling you could do some really awesome things with this when customizing it. (Here's one that I came up with in a few minutes:)

Also, someone pointed out that the inversed eye looks like a white flame, which is really cool.

Tl;dr - Probably the best Dimensional pet we've had so far.
EofS

Post by EofS »

The customisation works really nicely - I love the suggestion that the Shoyru is the only light source.