Neocolours forums are 10 today!

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Neocolours forums are 10 today!

Post by Jazzy »

That's right, these forums have been around for exactly 10 years today!

And as part of that, I am happy to announce...the Neocolours Feastday* Fantastic Feature Free-For-All! Got an idea for a feature we could use? Can you think of a part of the site that needs updating? And...if I update the way the site looks visually, how should it look? It's been overdue a bit of an update for a while now, but I've been struggling for ideas.

*So you try and think of a synonym for "birthday" that begins with F!
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Re: Neocolours forums are 10 today!

Post by thelonetiel »

Daaaaang, gurl.

That's pretty impressive. Is that the Neocolours site itself, or just the forums? I'm guessing forums, I just remember that transition, and didn't realize I had been on these things for the vast majority of my Neolife. And, you know, a not insignificant portion of my real life too (10 for ~22!).

So many feels. I love you guys.

I'll think on the feature/design/update front Jazzy! Though I was just thinking the other day "Dang, I like the design of these forums, Jazzy did good." :P
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

10 years.. That is very impressive. Congrats forums, administrators and moderators!
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Wooooow, it's been so long :D It's amazing how much time flies. Congratulations!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us, Happy birthday dear Neocolours Forums, Happy Birthday to us!

Looking back at my registration emails it seems I've been here since April 2004 so not quite the full ten years. WRT improvements to the forum/site, I'll put my thinking cap on but nothing immediately springs to mind.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Ten years, yikes. I feel kind of old now.

I suggest a disco ball.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Happy birthday forum friends!!! I used to read sam's news posts and then he announced a forum so I thought I would join it because it seemed like a good idea. That's my story.

Again, 10 years! For me, that's from age 15 to age 25. I have been aware of Joey and Jazzy and the rest for longer than I've been aware of things like my sweetie pie(s) and how to be a person with a job and stuff.

It was absolutely amazing to get the opportunity to meet Jazzy and EofS and Fury and Miguel (and miss out on Kantark! I hope they gave you my TimTams???) in London earlier this year. (Where is that photo!?!?!) If I ever manage to make my way to the USA I will attempt to barnacle onto a whole new set of you.

As far as features I don't know. We need to get werewolf back though, if anybody would actually play?? I've become a fan of mafia on the xkcd forums lately and am so sad I missed out on werewolf when it was played here back in the day. But whether we'd have enough people to sustain it would be another thing. (Though perhaps people could be contacted somehow and invited back?)

It would actually be kind of cool to have a thread where everyone posts "THIS IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN MY LIFE SINCE I JOINED THE FORUM". I think that would be really neat. (for example, I was sad yesterday so I bought a houseplant. If you'd told me 10 years ago that would be the kind of person I'd become I would be very upset).
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

This forum pretty much raised me. No joke, I was such a useless tween when I started. But I was quickly taught better by you guys... (I like to think...). I've finished high-school, finished university & am now a full-time working adult, all while checking up on NC almost daily.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I like the idea of that thread, Madge :D I am going to go and start it.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Happy birthday us!

I don't have a site suggestion per se, but I do think there should be cake. (Also, Scandiwegian languages spell birthday with an f, if that helps you come up with a catchy name.)
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Jamie wrote:This forum pretty much raised me. No joke, I was such a useless tween when I started. But I was quickly taught better by you guys... (I like to think...). I've finished high-school, finished university & am now a full-time working adult, all while checking up on NC almost daily.
I know there's another thread along these lines but... Yeah, I feel you. =P Kinda crazy.

But, anyway...
Site feature ideas!
  • Petpet Rainbow Pool? - PetPetCentral filled this gap awesome for a while, but has been dissolved as far as I can tell. I'm not sure if good alternatives exist (I usually end up using JellyNeo, which isn't the most intuitive for this kinda thing), it'd be nice if we could provide one.
  • (If we wanted to be really fancy, there could be a way to add a petpet suggestion to every pet color combo - say Baby Faerie Fireball on the Faerie Zafara page. But this would have to be user generated which means a mess of either screening data or accepting junk suggestions.)
  • The "Lookup Generator" may want to include the new Premium 5 pet max.
  • Site navigation isn't the most intuitive. I remembered having the Lookup Generator, but it took many scans of the "Index" page before I realized/remembered the main list of Neopets color features is under the "Pet Colours" page. I'd like to see that list of features on the Index page or something similar (Site Nav page?), and have "Pet Colours" go directly to here. I'd also love to see something more interesting on that page initially, either a random pet (perhaps pulled from a select list of favorites, like the interesting concept pets?) or a banner, or the most recent pets seen on the Index page, similar to how the Subeta page is setup.
I'm totally recruitable for at least some data collection/list formation. My coding skills are pretty shitty these days though, I don't want to use our site features as practice. :P
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

Hmmmmm...re: Petpet Rainbow Pool, I know that PHP has some image functionality (which I use for, say, an automatic resizing script for my photos). And there is a way to get the RGB value of a pixel (http://php.net/manual/en/function.imagecolorat.php). With that in mind, one could theoretically take all of the pixels in a pet image, aggregate and average the RGB values and get a dominant color, then do the same for all of the other pet images, store those in a JSON file, do the same with the Petpet images, store those in a separate JSON file, then match up the values when needed on a page.

The initial aggregating would probably take a while. The matching might if we're going with jQuery stuff...but we probably wouldn't need anything that fancy and it could be pulled up on page load. But then again, I don't really know how the site works and I'm not an uber-professional (with only a grouse research site for UND and a couple of personal hobbyist sites under my belt). >x<;;

White from the area surrounding the pet would have to be left out...I seriously doubt there are any outright pure-#FFFFFF pets out there...
EofS

Post by EofS »

Silverevilchao wrote:I seriously doubt there are any outright pure-#FFFFFF pets out there...
I beg to differ...

0:)
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

EofS wrote:
Silverevilchao wrote:I seriously doubt there are any outright pure-#FFFFFF pets out there...
I beg to differ...

0:)
LOL, completely forgot about those! :P Though since it's an entire color, probably easy to write an exemption for, yes?
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I'm late to the festivities (cross-country trip and all, whee!)....

But YAY NEOCOLOURS!

I still love yous guys!