Forum host move!

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Forum host move!

Post by Jazzy »

A friend of ours who hosts websites has offered to let us move to his webspace, which will cut down on our hosting costs. We're going to do the move tomorrow (about midday BST on Sunday 29th September, or about 4am NST). During that time, the website address neocolours.me.uk might not work, or might produce errors. This might last for a few days.

The address http://www.neocolours.co.uk will work a bit earlier, however (though there might also be some errors caused by the difference in domain name) - yes, we've finally managed to snag it without paying the squatters a penny!

Once the move is complete, you shouldn't see any differences in the site, but if there are any problems I'll be posting contact details to report errors.

In summary: starting midday GMT on Sept 29th
neocolours.me.uk may break temporarily
neocolours.co.uk should work slightly earlier
the forums are likely to be disabled to stop any posts or PMs being lost until the move is confirmed as having been completed.

ALSO, this is very important: in preparation for the move, I am getting the site as up-to-date, database wise, as possible. If you know of any Subeta colours that have been revamped since the 23rd of June please post them here.

Any problems, let me know!
Kantark

Re: Forum host move!

Post by Kantark »

Her Jazzyness wrote:The address http://www.neocolours.co.uk will work a bit earlier, however (though there might also be some errors caused by the difference in domain name) - yes, we've finally managed to snag it without paying the squatters a penny!
Hooray! Great to have the .co.uk back, excellent work!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Having just gone back through the 10 years nostalgia, in case anyone is concerned about the move to "a friend's" hosting:

I and EofS have known Johan for over 12 years now, and Jazzy only slightly less, and is a fine upstanding person. He owns the web hosting business that we are moving to (hence a friends' discount of ~100%), so it is on a server with paying customers and service reflecting that. I actually think that we'll get far better technical support and communications that from where we're currently paying for hosting!

Johan is also a member of another forum where Joeno was known prior to his actions here - the only people with access to the Neocolours hosting on Johan's server are him, Jazzy, and if I could ever remember the password, me (who would have a Jazzy to deal with in short order!) So staff security isn't an issue.

Finally, the website is being hosted remotely, but the domain registration (both .me.uk and now .co.uk) is remaining under my control.

The server is now physically located in the Netherlands. We should be well protected against the xkcd scenario.

The delays in redirecting neocolours.me.uk are entirely down to propagation of new DNS records. I'm afraid that will be entirely out of our hands, as it;s down to caching of records around the internet. Neocolours.co.uk will be exactly the same site (just an Apache alias, for those into that sort of thing).
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Hooray for NC! That's good news overall. I'll accept a minor downtime (and probably only click my bookmark out of habit two dozen times?).

Jazzy, I made a post with the subeta revamp info in the News forum. I can repost here if that's better.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Reposting here would be good so I don't miss it :)
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

That sounds wonderful! Though I have to ask, will the forums be displayed like this (with the poster's info and whatnot on the right) permanently from now on, or is this just a side-effect from the move? It's a little odd looking, but I wouldn't hate it if the forums are staying this way or anything.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

The forums are displaying a bit oddly right now, mainly that a lot of images are broken - that said, I can't quite replicate what you're describing, since everything's still on the right here. What browser are you using, and could I perhaps have a screenshot?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Er, still on the left. I would edit my post but of course the edit button is broken here!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I think this is all the things that need to be reset (couple added from my post in news, actually)--

tigreans (arid, bloodred, chibi, common, cream, darkmatter, dawn, dusk, field, gold, lilac, marsh, nuclear, sun, twilight)
terracoons (arid, common, cream, dawn, dusk, field, gold, lilac, marsh, nuclear, sun, twilight)
escalades (arid, common, cream, dawn, dusk, field, gold, lilac, marsh, nuclear, sun, twilight)
waradors (arid, chibi, common, cream, darkmatter, dawn, dusk, field, galactic, gold, lilac, marsh, nuclear, scribble, sun, twilight)
glade swampie
chibi hipottu
chibi ghostly
spectrum fester
hydrus swampie
hydrus serpenth
darkmatter telenine
darkmatter rreign
darkmatter serpenth

I think that's complete?
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I am so excited and happy and gleeful! This is going to be awesome!

How did we get the domain back? It just came back up for sale did it?
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Madge,

Basically yes - the neocolours.co.uk domain has had nothing but domain-squatting advertising on it for years, and was autorenewing for quite some time on its annual expiry too. We've been deliberately not visiting, only querying the WHOIS info through third parties (just in case some auto trigger of hits == domain renew), and this June it finally didn't auto-renew. It then took three months for Nominet (the UK domain authority) to release it back to the pool of available names, which we were eagerly waiting for, and snapped it up the day it became available!

Tl;dr: domain hunting is REALLY tedious.
novaflash

Post by novaflash »

Hello, I'm the guy that now runs the new hosting situation for this site. I thought I'd drop in and say hi and that I'm not some crazy guy that'll just up and disappear. I run a business in the NL and I've known Miguel for over 10 years or so, and things are cool. Jazzy I've known for quite a while as well, of course. Anyways, enjoy. Hope everything works out okay for you guys.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Everyone, the hosting move is completed and as best I can tell, all DNS records now point (correctly) at the new hosting. If anyone's encountering issues accessing this site through neocolours.me.uk, please shout up now!
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Ty - have updated all of those. Could you also submit an obviously-fake request for a rating reset to check that the notifier is working? (It doesn't check that a colour really exists so you could put in eg. a Neopet.)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I sent a fake request, then realized I had to send a real request (darkmatter irion) so I did that too, why not. It probably overwhelmed the system and broke everything, because that's me!

I told it to add the darkmatter cybill (brand new pet) and it shows up on the recently added record for the news update site, but doesn't show up on the public portion of the site. *ducks*
Image Image