Sponge and Strawberry Shoyrus

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I adore the sponge shoyru.

This surprises me on a number of levels.
Image Image
Ikkin

Post by Ikkin »

These colors really show how much the Shoyru needs a revamp, IMO. As colorfills they're both good. I really like the way the Strawberry's seeds are done, the Sponge looks kind of like a ghost, which is neat, and the Sponge's beaten pose is well-done... but, because of this, the poses themselves seem even more problematic in comparison.

I've always liked Shoyrus despite the old lineart... but, I wouldn't own a non-redraw Shoyru (mine is Faerie, which has poses that I love), or several of the "redraws" (such as Darigan and Mutant, which should be redrawn when Shoyrus are finally given the revamp they need). The Shoyru's one of the tops on my "needs revamp" list, along with the Usul, Scorchio and Buzz.

After seeing the really nice front page image, the problem seems even bigger. :?
Akjara

Post by Akjara »

I think we will have to wait a very long time for a revamp. I mean, Shoys are THE most popular pet on the side. Obivously a lot of people like it the way it is, so why change it. Or so TNT will probably think.
Help me to make my Dreams come true?
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I...pretty much hate them both.

Strawberry because it's Strawberry, and Sponge because Sponge is lame and a cheap-ass excuse for a colour.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

The Strawberry is meh, so right up there with all the other strawberry pets.

I love the sponge -- the beaten pose is so well done, and the colour, as others have mentioned, is very nice. They redid some of the wing positions in the battle poses, and that helps it look nicer, and also more 2-D.
I actually vaguely hate the front page art for Shoyru day and would be extremely put-out if they revamped shoys to look like that, as Eliesse is my oldest and dearest pet. I agree they need a revamp, but one that keeps the character of the pet, please.
immortal_janemba

Post by immortal_janemba »

Strawberry is well... your typical not very adventurous strawberry pet. Maybe they could've stuck a shoyru inside a giant strawberry costume (it may not be the best idea, but what they're doing now is really just a cruddy red or something).

Sponge however I really like, it's a moving sponge rather than just a cutout of a different sponge shape for each pose, it is following in the footsteps of the great Aisha sponge, I like what they're doing with sponges now. Go SPONGE!!!
ImageImage
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Sponge is better than the Strawberry, however Shoyrus need a revamp so neither is showing their true potential.
Image Image Image
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Decently done considering what they had to work with. Shoyru is maybe a pet with most potential if they decided to redraw them. I'd get a faerie one or maraquan one but never any in the regular pose... :?
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

I like the stawberry shoy. It's nice and simple. Basically what you would expect. I do wish the beaten pose had a bite out of it though :P

I'm sort of alone here but I don't like the sponge shoy. When I see it, it just doesn't look like a sponge to me. For some reason, I think it looks like it has mold spots and I just can't get past that :x If it were a mold Shoyru, Id love it though.
Not all who wander are lost.