Mutant Xweetok.

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

(I just had to post to say this, the was this thread is titled, and the way firefox seperates webpages on the toolbar, it's showing up as Mutant X. Which is an awesome show =P)
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

Yay rat xweetok!! It's a great mutant. :) I'll make this short by saying the only thing I'm iffy about is the colour. Blue seems too bright.

Edit:
Played around with the colours. It may not look it, but the first one was dulled. I like the last one best. :)
covetiveness

Post by covetiveness »

Er, I must ask. Are you condemning them, or commending them? Two very different things, my dear.
Oops! Condemming them ^^;;
Current goal: Uhh...
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Lakota wrote: Image
Even though I am still horrified that rats now officially exist in Neopia (yes, I know all you people have them and love them - they scare the bejeebus out of me, okay?) I think the last recolor you did is a vast improvement on the official pet.

It looks more like a mutant and less like a cartoon character - and God knows, the Xweetok needs no help in the cartoon pet department.

Good job, Lakota.

Rat pets . . . evil, horrible, wretched things - nekkid leperous tails . . .

*twitch*
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Kamil wrote:

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Kamil wrote:
Even though I am still horrified that rats now officially exist in Neopia

*twitch*
:(

It always makes me sad when people hate rats for reasons of thinking they're dirty or evil or horrible. I don't have a problem with people fearing them in general, but when its based on stereotypes and untruth, then it bothers me. I could rant on about this but, like scythe, I'd like to simply demonstrate my point with a picture:

http://www.shadowrat.com/rats/jingles.jpg

Scythe, that agouti dumbo looks just like my Josh. And the little blazed one (girl?) is to die for! *steals*
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!@!!1
*saves both rat images*
The little ribbon around the one's neck is adorable. Nothing less pleasant. Aww, and it's got a wee little bell....

And the skull behind it is nifty.

And I'm going to leave the @ in the "Eeeee" because it amuses me that it wound up there.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Lakota wrote:Yay rat xweetok!! It's a great mutant. :) I'll make this short by saying the only thing I'm iffy about is the colour. Blue seems too bright.

Edit:
Played around with the colours. It may not look it, but the first one was dulled. I like the last one best. :)
Great job Lakota! Last colour really hits the spot :D
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

Kamil wrote:
Even though I am still horrified that rats now officially exist in Neopia (yes, I know all you people have them and love them - they scare the bejeebus out of me, okay?) I think the last recolor you did is a vast improvement on the official pet.

It looks more like a mutant and less like a cartoon character - and God knows, the Xweetok needs no help in the cartoon pet department.

Good job, Lakota.
Thank you! :) It is a cool idea for mutant, but the colour they used wasn't the best choice.
zebru wrote:
Lakota wrote:Yay rat xweetok!! It's a great mutant. :) I'll make this short by saying the only thing I'm iffy about is the colour. Blue seems too bright.

Edit:
Great job Lakota! Last colour really hits the spot :D
Thanks. :) I'm glad you like it so much. Maybe I should do all the poses in this colour. :P

Ziggy wrote:
Kamil wrote:
Even though I am still horrified that rats now officially exist in Neopia

*twitch*
:(

It always makes me sad when people hate rats for reasons of thinking they're dirty or evil or horrible. I don't have a problem with people fearing them in general, but when its based on stereotypes and untruth, then it bothers me.
It's just her opinion-- don't take it personally. My mom hates snakes, a lot of which is due to irrational beliefs, but that doesn't make her fear of them any less real or anything-- she still fears them despite the fact that she knows a lot of her conceptions of them are wrong. :? It's the same with my brother and his fear of spiders, though his fear is a little more understandable than mom's because he kept getting bit by them when we were younger. Fear is not always rational, so fear of rats need not make sense either. You can talk all you want about the merits of rats (and there are plenty :)), but that's not always going to stop someone from being afraid of them.

Anyways, those pictures are very cute. :) I like rats... except for mom's rat dog who definitly gives a bad name to the creatures she resembles. ;) I'm not kidding when I say she looks like a black rat (or a sewer rat if you will). :P
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's just her opinion-- don't take it personally.

I know, I shouldn't. Its my problem. I just can't help it. Its like being a parent in a way, you're irrationally over-protective of your kids to the point where if anyone says anything bad about them, you get personally offended.

My mom hates snakes, a lot of which is due to irrational beliefs, but that doesn't make her fear of them any less real or anything-- she still fears them despite the fact that she knows a lot of her conceptions of them are wrong

For the record, Im not keen on snakes either. If possible, I'd like to go my entire life never having to handle one again, and whenever I can get out of it, I do. But I don't think my fear of snakes is irrational. I've had friends get bitten by the snakes Im then supposed to handle and feed. If something actually has capabilities to cause you harm or even kill you, and has done the world over, it isn't an irrational fear.

Fear is not always rational, so fear of rats need not make sense either
I know, I understand its my problem and I take it so personally because my rats are like my kids and I know they're beautiful, clean, loving animals and its kinda sad when other people can't see it. I think its because I DESPISE brain washing and stereotypes. And the vast vast majority of rat phobias are based on people having been brain washed from a young age that rats are 'dirty, evil, spread disease' etc. If you'd actually been bitten by a rat then developed a phobia, thats understandable. But most people who fear rats have never even SEEN a real one. Often, I get people in vet waiting rooms who see my rats and tell me they're terrified of them. But usually, they end up touching them or even holding them and so many times I've heard 'they're nothing like I imagined a rat to be!' which always makes me kinda wonder what they DID imagine a rat to be like :s But its cool, because it means I've educated someone and killed a few prejudices just by showing them what the real animal is truly like.

Anyways, those pictures are very cute. :) I like rats... except for mom's rat dog who definitly gives a bad name to the creatures she resembles. ;) I'm not kidding when I say she looks like a black rat (or a sewer rat if you will). :P

Im more scared of little ankle biter dogs than most other things. I had one scare me half to death when I was 8 (it was one of those butterfly dogs, papion things) I'd rather deal with a pissed off doberman than a little yappy type dog. Seriously.
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

Ziggy wrote:It's just her opinion-- don't take it personally.

I know, I shouldn't. Its my problem. I just can't help it. Its like being a parent in a way, you're irrationally over-protective of your kids to the point where if anyone says anything bad about them, you get personally offended.
I know. It's hard hearing that some people don't like such-and-such when you invest so much time, attention, and love into it. :( It's just something one needs to learn not to take so personally, and that can be just as hard.
My mom hates snakes, a lot of which is due to irrational beliefs, but that doesn't make her fear of them any less real or anything-- she still fears them despite the fact that she knows a lot of her conceptions of them are wrong

For the record, Im not keen on snakes either. If possible, I'd like to go my entire life never having to handle one again, and whenever I can get out of it, I do. But I don't think my fear of snakes is irrational. I've had friends get bitten by the snakes Im then supposed to handle and feed. If something actually has capabilities to cause you harm or even kill you, and has done the world over, it isn't an irrational fear.
It can be irrational if it goes beyond the seriousness of the situation. There's no reason to fear a dead snake for instance, but my mom is still afraid of even those. :? But that's a part of phobias and mom doesn't qualify for those.

If you get techincal rats do have some ability to harm you, but it's not the way snakes can. We know that they can transmit disease to people for instance. Thankfully those diseases are curable, so that's no longer a problem for us really. But years ago it was. Certainly rats can still be a nusiance if they invade your home at any rate. Like it or not those little guys are very adaptable. However their reputation is far too stretched.
Fear is not always rational, so fear of rats need not make sense either
I know, I understand its my problem and I take it so personally because my rats are like my kids and I know they're beautiful, clean, loving animals and its kinda sad when other people can't see it. I think its because I DESPISE brain washing and stereotypes. And the vast vast majority of rat phobias are based on people having been brain washed from a young age that rats are 'dirty, evil, spread disease' etc. If you'd actually been bitten by a rat then developed a phobia, thats understandable. But most people who fear rats have never even SEEN a real one. Often, I get people in vet waiting rooms who see my rats and tell me they're terrified of them. But usually, they end up touching them or even holding them and so many times I've heard 'they're nothing like I imagined a rat to be!' which always makes me kinda wonder what they DID imagine a rat to be like :s But its cool, because it means I've educated someone and killed a few prejudices just by showing them what the real animal is truly like.
That's the problem with their sterotype. Rats are pests the way roaches are, but their danger as disease spreaders doesn't apply as much today as it did in feudal Europe. In other words unless you live in India (where the plague still exists), you should not worry about being around a random wild rat.

Plus I'm not so sure how that sterotype started in the first place! Our ancestors were complete idiots when it came to diseases; they thought Jews were posioning the wells with the plague. And treatments were even worse. Their method for treating smallpox was stupid; they thought burning the person in fire was the cure-- if you survived that, you were cured! You're better off rubbing dirt in a wound. The fact that rats were the source never crossed their minds. I can only assume that people just didn't want them around (for praticual reasons like not wanting them in food storage), and that the connection between rats and disease came later in the 1800s or 1900s. :?

I can't blame people who do develope phobias after getting bitten by one. If rats bite anything like mice, then you would have to yank them off because they wouldn't let go. >_< It's very painful I bet.

It's good to educate people, and it's funny when they don't even realize they're petting something like the 'dreaded' rat. :P I got that whenever I took a rescue pit bull, etc. out for walks. People think 'mean dogs' when they hear pit bull or any of those other breeds' names, so they don't realize how nice the breeds can be if they're given a chance. The breeds are not any more likely to bite someone than other 'guard' dog breeds-- they're just more likely to cause damage due to the way their jaws are designed. Their actual temperament can go either way depending on where you get them and how they're raised. A lot of time people don't even know what the breeds look like though, which is why they ask to pet the dogs I walk. It's funny to see their face when you finally tell them the breed. :) However there's still a chance that person will still not like the animal much even after seeing it.

Im more scared of little ankle biter dogs than most other things. I had one scare me half to death when I was 8 (it was one of those butterfly dogs, papion things) I'd rather deal with a pissed off doberman than a little yappy type dog. Seriously.
I prefer bigger dogs too. They tend to be more mellow than their smaller counterparts. It's like little dogs have a Napoleon complex or something. :P That's why I'm quick to say I own a lab and mom owns that little rat dog. :P I want no connection with her pet. ;)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

In other words unless you live in India (where the plague still exists), you should not worry about being around a random wild rat.

Plus, there is a lot of evidence now to suggest that rats were never responsible for the famous plague in the first place and that is was airborne.

I can't blame people who do develope phobias after getting bitten by one. If rats bite anything like mice, then you would have to yank them off because they wouldn't let go. >_< It's very painful I bet.

They do let go pretty quick, or the times I've been bitten they have. But it seriously hurts like hell. I'd rather be bitten by a dog than a rat.

It's good to educate people, and it's funny when they don't even realize they're petting something like the 'dreaded' rat. :P

Heh, yeah. I've had people get all cuddly with them and say 'oh, isn't he lovely! Is he a hamster?' then they recoil in horror when I say its a rat *rolleyes*
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

For the record:

Ziggy? Didn't realize you'd take it personally - sorry about that. I've had to adblock your siggy rat though - otherwise I wouldn't be able to surf the forum. >>

Also? I am more afraid of dead rats than I am live ones. Much more afraid.

I am more afraid of live mice than I am live or dead rats.

And there is nothing on this planet I fear more than dead mice.

N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

I would, my hand to God, rather pick up a live rattlesnake than a dead (or live) mouse or rat.

Nothing on this planet scares me more than mice - but rats are close - it's the naked tails. Although I don't know why, but the tails are tied into my fear.

And it has nothing to do with thinking they will bear disease or any such thing - it's the tails, I tell you. *twitch*

Something happened to me with a mouse or a rat when I was young, but I don't remember what; I'm a World Class Represser. At any rate, I am more afraid of them than anything else on this planet.

Given the choice of going outside into a tornado or staying indoors in the same room with a mouse or a rat - out the door I would go.

Screaming like my hair was on fire if I'd actually seen one.

As far as that old chesnut, "they are more afraid of you than you are of them"? Bullshit. Given the choice I'd go the rest of my life and never see one again. They, on the other hand, come leaping out at me from dark corners and go streaking across the barn floor in front of me and such -- no way they're more afraid of me than I am of them.

And, finally, thank you for posting that picture, Scythe, I'll only wake up screaming five or six times tonight - I'll be sure to remember you when that happens. ^^
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Kamil wrote:
Ziggy? Didn't realize you'd take it personally - sorry about that. I've had to adblock your siggy rat though - otherwise I wouldn't be able to surf the forum. >>
Its ok, like I said, its my issue.
Its just so hard for me to understand how something I let sleep in my bed, eat from my plate and basically something I would die for is so awful to someone else. But its ok, as long as you don't go around killing them then Im cool >:)
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

Ziggy wrote: In other words unless you live in India (where the plague still exists), you should not worry about being around a random wild rat.

Plus, there is a lot of evidence now to suggest that rats were never responsible for the famous plague in the first place and that is was airborne.
No they were responisble. But so were dogs, cats, people, horses, cows, and any other animal that lived around people. In other words rat fleas attacked any mammal if they couldn't find rats, and those mammals carried it as well.

Rats were the common carrier though because the plague is a rodent disease. It's their fleas that carry it, and their fleas tend to be host specfic (meaning that they prefer rats over other mammals). But when the rats were not available, the fleas would bite other mammals. In addition rats often lived in people's homes back then, so people were around one source of the disease.

The disease became airborne when it invaded the lungs. People then could cough up the bacteria and spread it to others that way. The fact that the bacteria found a way to do that had nothing to do with rats. Intially it wasn't airborne though and was spread thru direct contact with infected individuals or infected animals. It could still be spread that way even after it became air-borne.

However it was not the rats' fault for any of this. Blame the fleas or the bacteria. ;) Or blame people for being such idiots about health care back then. Seriously people seemed to lack common sense about it. I can't even blame the panic the plague caused for that because it seemed to exist before the plague became a problem.

As for India's problem, it is related to their rodent population, but I can't remeber if rats were the primary carrier of it over there. I know that in the USA the primary carrier is the piarrie dog, which is another type of rodent. Yes there are cases of plague in the US, most of them in the midwest, but they're very uncommon and usually not fatal.

They do let go pretty quick, or the times I've been bitten they have. But it seriously hurts like hell. I'd rather be bitten by a dog than a rat.
Do they bite like hamsters? :? I've been bitten by one of them before, and that was very painful. Of course that hamster's teeth were over-grown...

Mum's rat dog bites me all the time (bratty thing hates being told what to do), and it doesn't hurt that much. I'm not sure if she's holding back or what, but it simply doesn't hurt. My dog's teeth are too worn down from playing fetch to hurt when she bites; she doesn't bite people though except on accident (when both you and her try to pick up her tennis ball-- she doesn't mean to bite you then; she just wants the ball).
It's good to educate people, and it's funny when they don't even realize they're petting something like the 'dreaded' rat. :P

Heh, yeah. I've had people get all cuddly with them and say 'oh, isn't he lovely! Is he a hamster?' then they recoil in horror when I say its a rat *rolleyes*
Yeah but they don't if you call them 'mice.' :roll: And what's the difference between mice and rats to the uninformed person anyways?!? One's just bigger (generally) than the other, but bigger seems to matter to these sorts for some reason. :?

I've actually found hamsters to be the least friendly of the rodents. I've never had rats, but my mice were friendlier and so were my friend's gerbils. It's silly then that hamsters are the preferred small mammal pet for kids.