Tyrannian Koi

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
CallyKariShokka

Post by CallyKariShokka »

Tyrannian: ... o_o! Wow. Wasn't expecting THAT. I actually.. Like it. a lot. Very much. I want one. XD

Split: Uh, hasn't that been available for a while? o.o I could've sworn it was..
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Wow, they fixed everything I hate in a normal Koi with this one.

No stupid, goofy grin, and no utterly retarded Defensive Pose.

Not to mention, it's cheap (it's, what, 400k?). Well done, TNT. :)
Last edited by Silverevilchao on 26 May 2006 05:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

Bleh. I don't know. I don't think the Tyrannian looks especially Tyrannian =/

It's not bad and all. It's just not that great, and if I saw it, I'm not sure what I'd think it was.

Why do the teeth change?
ImageImage

I hate the colour Split. But there is nothing remarkable about the pet.

The Kois really could have gotten something better.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I was looking at split yesterday... it isn't a new koi colour.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I thought there was already a split Koi also. But I saw one on the front page and asumed I was wrong ^^
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

Jamie wrote:I thought there was already a split Koi also. But I saw one on the front page and asumed I was wrong ^^
Ditto here. But, Tyrannian pwns.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Split is old. It looks like they may have updated it because the coloring looks consistent. I remember it being partially pink or blue in some poses.

I don't know what to make of Tyrannian. It doesn't work at all for me, especially considering the numerous types of real fish this could have been based on. It's not threatening, tough, or even just bizzare. It's boring. I suppose we should be grateful they didn't attempt Darigan.
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

Huggles wrote:Split is old. It looks like they may have updated it because the coloring looks consistent. I remember it being partially pink or blue in some poses.
*checks old poses*

Wow, you're right. What artist is THAT lazy?
immortal_janemba

Post by immortal_janemba »

When I first saw the picture on the news I thought "here we go again"... but it turns out that the happy pose is like the only one I'm not too fond of. I really like the circle pose it looks so.. dopey.. and Tyrannian *omg we can't have a tyrannian that looks tyrannian*

ImageImage
gidget

Post by gidget »

Well, I don't love the Tyrannian Koi, but I do kinda like it. I think it's a good alternative for those who want a non-cutesy fish.

The Mutant Koi still blows it out the water though. :)
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

It looks kinda funky in that pose.

Otherwise I think it's a bit rushed. Obviously a second-thought sort of thing, and they could have done much better.
Image Image
LadySilverSnake

Post by LadySilverSnake »

Man, I wish the BD poses of the regular Koi would look like the ones on this one!

At the rate they release spiffy new Koi colours, I'm gonna need a side account or two just for Koi. (And we still don't even have Royal Koi... can you image a "fish princess" as pretty as the Royalgirl Flotsam? *dreams*)
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

Well I'm glad Koi got a redraw after all ^^ Personally though, I don't like this even a little. The art looks strange to me, like it doesn't even fit in to the neopets world, and not in a good way like the tyrannian buzz.

This colour/pet combo had a lot of potential given the funky prehistoric fishies we know about, this does look rushed and even with the concept they went with it could have been a lot better.
Skitty

Post by Skitty »

Bwa? I was <i>sure</i> they'd do a coelecanth. How can you miss that? It's the most well known of prehistoric fish. This is not a coelecanth. Just a slightly spikey and perhaps bulkier average brown Koi.

*thumbs down*
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

My lack of knowledge on all things prehistoric makes me think the artists must've studied *some* sort of Jurassic fish to base this guy off. So I can see the Tyrannian. What I don't see so much is the koi o_O

I mean, they've got the same body shape... but that's about it. The whiskery things are copied but nowhere near the same place, the fins on the Tyrannian are shifted and there's another pair added (I think?), the extremities become webbed, body segmented, etc... okay, so it pulls off the effect, but the koi's completely lost. I think what I especially look for in similarities is the face, which is lost too with the addition of nostrils, teeth, jaw-change and eye makeover. Whereas something like the mutant koi still carries the idea of the pet in it because of its cartoonish depiction, the Tyrannian's drawn so (comparatively) realistically I hardly see koi at all. Though it's probably just me =P

</weirdminiranttangentialthing>

Otherwise, me likes. It's boring, yeah, but in a cool way. If I weren't allowed to throw my opinion into the mix I'd praise the artist for a nice idea and execution, with my only nitpicks the teeth thing going on in happy and the face change in angry o.o
Thanks to Twisted for the awesome set!