Royal Kau

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
carsandtrains

Royal Kau

Post by carsandtrains »

Boy & Girl

I personally prefer the girl to the boy. The girl is pretty-like, and the boy is odd looking. Plus he has the same crown as the royal male usul in green.

Discuss?
Last edited by carsandtrains on 19 Jun 2006 02:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

The Royal Girl cow reminded me of someone I've seen before... *tries to think hard*

She looks VERY evil, though.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm a little dissapointed.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Those are some freaky huge eyes on the girl. I like circle for the girl much better than the rest of the poses, so I'll reserve judgement on the boy until circle turns up.

The girl looks like the circle pose was drawn by one artist, and the rest of the poses based off of that by another, slightly less skilled artist.

In a way, I'm glad they went for the four legged pose rather than do like the moehog and make the kau bipedal but... It makes the poor things look really awkward and like they are about to trip over their clothes.
Lucifer_Apollyon

Post by Lucifer_Apollyon »

I'm extremely disappointed. They could have made a minotaur reference with this or perhaps give it the same treatment they did with the royal unis. This is sadly not really that good. The clothing on quadropeds is too much. A blanket only for both please TNT. >_<
roger9614462

Post by roger9614462 »

thelonetiel wrote:The girl looks like the circle pose was drawn by one artist, and the rest of the poses based off of that by another, slightly less skilled artist.
I second that. The Circle pose is very great for the girl, but the other poses are very odd-looking... And the eyes! *hides from the scary cow*

For the boy, I love it. I hope the circle pose is good too. Seriously, if I have a Royalboy pet someday, he would be at the top of my list.
colbatdragon

Post by colbatdragon »

I don't like the way the pants on the girl "scrunch".

You know, the elastic that makes all the ruffles...I don't know where I'm going XD

I wish they weren't both green.
NyauNyau

Post by NyauNyau »

It kind of makes it look like its standing on its front legs..all bipedal-y
Nothing To See Here
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

*shrugs* I wouldn't call either kau "royal", as they have some sort of regal element missing from both sexes. I like the happy and angry royalgirl poses, but I'm a little disappointed overall, as I think quadropeds should only be partially clothed, like the royalgirl uni. (The two exceptions are the royalboy uni and the royalgirl gelert, as they managed to pull off both quite nicely) Both are a bit too "covered up" for my tastes.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
ICKessler

Post by ICKessler »

It's a little disappointing - all the other four-legged pets who have gotten a royal color (except uni) were made bipedal, and all anthro-ish so they could stand up and be wearing clothes.

I understand the uni though, because the medieval caparison makes it look quite nice, but the kau just looks like someone dressed up a kau. I don't care for it.

The girl kau's face and hair are lovely, and the high collar is a nice touch, but I really hate that they're "on their hands and knees" instead of standing upright like the other royal pets (except the uni)
Lucifer_Apollyon

Post by Lucifer_Apollyon »

You know what would have been really nice is if TNT could have made the royal girl sorta resemble Elsie of Bordon Milk & Cheese Products fame. Not necessarily the same colors as Elsie, but made her spotted instead of yellow and given her flowers around her neck (yes, I know the royal girl uni already has them) and a green and gold silky blanket and halter. I don't know how you'd do the boy as Elsie's husband Elmer is only seen on the Elmer's Glue bottles and it's just a head shot. :/
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

ICKessler wrote:It's a little disappointing - all the other four-legged pets who have gotten a royal color (except uni) were made bipedal, and all anthro-ish so they could stand up and be wearing clothes.
You know, about that, I honestly don't like it when pets that are quadropeds stand up-- most of the time, it's executed poorly, like the royal poogles, and lupes. Royal seems to work the best with the pets that are already half-anthro, like Krawks and Usuls. The one thing I *do* like about the Kaus is that they at least made an attempt to keep all-fours on the ground. They're certainly not the greatest royals, but I give them points for at least trying.

EDIT: In response to my first post, I completely forgot about the Royal kougras :P, those are awesome quads.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think that perhaps the problem here is that the royalgirl has too much clothing, while the royalboy doesn't seem to have enough.

Collar, ruff, cape, shirt, skirt, tiara.

The shirt looks especially wrong, it doesn't seem to fit with everything else. It's like she's wearing pants on her front legs and a skirt on her back legs!
I like the tiara though, it's nice and understated.

The royalboy just has the cape, collar and crown.

The cape is sort of weird as it seems to have arm holes, like a bathrobe or something.

I don't know. They're not very good royals, but.... I can't think of anything fantastic they could have done to make a cow look regal.

At least they didn't draw a human in medieval costume and paste a kau's head on top. That much we can be grateful for.
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Ew. Ew and ick. These are mediocre at BEST-- as usual, royal is a good idea in theory, but in practice looks awkward and like crap. Poor Kaus really get shafted in the redraw department.

As other's have said, the poses seem bunchy and inconsistent. And what is up with royalgirl's back? Looks like a round table with a tablecloth over it. Maybe that's why she's so huge-- she's hiding under a table, and just stuck her head out.

In the circle pose, her head is all right, but in the rest it goes all wonky and her snout loses it's delicate roundness and looks more like a donkey's maw. Royal boy seems to be executed a little better than her, but he's so plain and forgettable you couldn't really justify the expense unless for SOME REASON you simply must have a royal bovine.

I don't really like most of the royal pets. The few exceptions are the Kougras (the only species handled REALLY WELL imo) and the odd royalboy (Acara) and royalgirl (flotsam). But on the whole, these two seem pretty typical of the brush.

Can't wait to rate these suckers! :twisted:
watermirrors

Post by watermirrors »

Yeah, I second the Borden thing. Swiss-royalty would have been awesome. This is like errr....Amidala from the first Star Wars with all her giant overwhelming clothing. Not very elegant if you ask me...