Royal Kau

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Mac

Post by Mac »

The female looks like someone really took a cow and just showered it in green cloth. The male looks a tad better, but they're still... off. =/
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

roger9614462 wrote:
ICKessler wrote:It's a little disappointing - all the other four-legged pets who have gotten a royal color (except uni) were made bipedal, and all anthro-ish so they could stand up and be wearing clothes.
*cough*Gelerts*cough* :P
And kougras. Flotsams also aren't anthro (it wouldn't work at all on them) and neither are jubjubs (ditto). I'm glad the kaus aren't anthro, and I like them a lot more than I like most royal pets (eyrie, poogle, most of the royalgirls: yuck), although the girl's clothes are a little much.

My favorite royals are the ones that look like real pets, just dressed up a little -- the kougras, the flotsams, and the royalboy uni (the krawks and draiks are okay, too, as they're pets that already stand like that). But there's not a single royal pet I would want to own, even if someone gave me a free paint brush.
Float

Post by Float »

I love the poofy sleeves on the girl, they're so cute. I don't really like the boy that much, looks like a kau in a cape instead of a real good redraw. They should have made it look more like a bull or something. I was hoping for egyptian-y but I'm not really sure how they would have done that anyway.
Ensign Edison

Post by Ensign Edison »

Awful. My eyes started to cross as I tried to figure out the girl, and the guy is underwhelming to say the least. The colors are nice, but bleh.
TimothyJuang

Post by TimothyJuang »

The girl looks like.... maraquan. The colors are like it and the back fin thingy.... Hm.

Siggy by Henri, from the Jellyneo boards.
Erstin
Human Avatar: 340918

Post by Erstin »

The poses aren't really 'royal' to me and the boy looks like a drunk dancer. :?
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Eww.

Why are they posed so . . . oddly? Like Tophe said, the boy looks like he's about to fall over onto his head, and the girl is almost as bizzare, what with the squinting and the solid ton of clothing and so forth going on.

Eww.

And, yes, what's with the quasi-maraquan thing going on with the girl? Her shawl, or whatever it is, looks more like the fin of a maraquan pet than it does like extra (and trust me, she does not need extra) clothing.

Eww.

Royal, despite severe competition from darigan, remains the color with the best and worst redraws on the entire site. It'd be hard to find a nicer pet than, say, the royalgirl Flotsam, and it'd be even harder to find a worse pet than these.

Take them away.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Scimthary

Post by Scimthary »

I find the Girl really nice. The details are well done so that the horns and the hair stand out good. The clothes could be a little less green and I wonder why there's a FIN coming out of the neck, but besides that, It's a lovely pet which I wouldn't mind owning one. (That is, If the paintbrush wasn't so expensive ).

The boy, I don't like it. The concept is good, but the poses are bad. :( Disapointing really.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I am really rather fond of the girl - I don't think the headpiece looks like a Maraquan fin, and circle is certainly spiffy, however, a couple of the poses bother me.

The problem here, for me, is that it looks like the part below the knee of her dress actually makes me think of mittens instead, and the hooves look more like they are joined to her body. I think it's a strange pose, with poor execution. Maybe there was no better way to do it, I would have just done it a different way.

That simply bothers me, it looks slightly drunk, I'd like to see where the leg would be posed without the dress, it's just confusing me at the moment. It looks like it is laying, but I do not understand why the back hoof is upright...

I do not think she is 'overly dressed', to be honest, if they are going to keep them quadraped (which I think was a good choice, people often complain about anthro pets beneath the clothing, see Poogles, Royalgirl Aisha), they need something.

The boy on the other hand is too plain, he's slightly disappointed. I think a royal blue could have worked better, as well as a recoloured robe.

Overall, girl is good, minus a few poses, boy is dull.
Last edited by Tom on 15 Jun 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subeta: Thomas
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Hm. Well, I happen to like some of the anthro royals, as a random thought (okay.. well one. I think the royalgirl poogle is brilliant), and I agree, this woulda been better as an anthro. However, as it is --

I'm very disapointed in both, particularly the boy, which I don't really like ANYTHING on. The only thing I really like on the royalgirl is the hair, which I think is cute and a nice shade of blonde.

I.. don't really h ave much else to say though. Bleh and bleh.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

All this anthro encouragement is making my eye twitch uncontrolably.
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

*hug* It's only going to get better...

I don't have an opinion on them. It's like...I see them and my mind doesn't register that they exist.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
carsandtrains

Post by carsandtrains »

If I must be frank, I don't think kaus were particularly in need of a royal colour. There's not really anything regal about kaus (or cows) anyway.

I still dislike them but prefer the girl.
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I don't like them. At all.

I wish I could give a proper explanation but given that there isn't a single thing I like about either of them it would be long and pointless.

Just ick.
gidget

Post by gidget »

I'm very glad they stayed quadrupeds.

Beyond that... I just really don't have much of an opinion.

They are about as good as I expected from Kaus.