Maraquan and Camouflage Rukis

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I saw the mara ruki, and thought "ew." And I wasn't even sure it was a ruki at first, perhaps because I've never really bothered much about rukis so I've never particularly noticed what their defining features are.

I think it is perhaps the colour that evoked that reaction from me initially, because to me it looks like an icky sort of pink and brown mix. I like the lilac, but the colours don't seem to sit that well with each other to me.

I know shellfish often do have oversized claws on the ends of their front legs, but somehow it looks a bit over the top, cartoonish as others have said.

I do like the swimming poses, this is something that they're definitely doing right, posing all the underwater pets like that. But I don't like the close attack pose, for some reason.

Camo is done well, the colours make sense for the pet. But I'm not into camo or rukis, so it's not for me.
Neopets wishlists: here
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Well, I'm agreeing with the camo love -- I really like how the colours are swirled, not just huge chunks of one colour and than another.

But the Maraquan...I love Maraquan in general and I love Rukis, so I should have expected how much I hate it. There's barely any color gradation, which is combined with already too-bright colours and overly cartoonish expression make it look very flat.
Its ventral surface is segmented, but not its dorsal surface, which I don't think is biologically possible.

And also, it's SEA LIFE. It should NOT have hands. Why the hell does it have those creepy hands? It also should NOT stand. Tails shouldn't bend that way, much less look like they're holding weight. EW.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

My pet peeve with camouflage are than some of the pets CANNOT camouflage anywhere, such as the Poogle.

This, however, is lovely.

The Maraquan Ruki...yugh. Creepy.
Whikey

Post by Whikey »

the Maraquan one is a little odd, but I guess it's supposed to be a lobster? I like the colors though.

The Camofloge one I really like, looks like it blends into the earth around it.
NecroAd
Time-waster

Post by NecroAd »

I absolutely love the Camouflage Ruki. It's great! I've definitely got a thing for Camouflage pets. Can't say I'm that keen on the Maraquan Ruki though. Colours clash way too much.
Kizule

Post by Kizule »

Well. I simply adore the Maraquan Ruki. My first thought was to run out a buy one as quick as I could. Not many colors make me want to do that, and this thing did. I understand all your complaints, and when I think of a pet that would look as you descibed, my brain says "Eew." But that all evaporates when I look at the Maraquan Ruki, which does have all those things (and more), but still looks great. And I love the nose. I can't really explain it, but this Ruki is awsome, to me. Its also hideous. But I love it. *sighs* Whatever. Just wish that they'd change that one pose.

As for the Camo Ruki- best camo pet yet! I love it! Looks like it could actually hide, a great change for camo pets. And the whole desert color scheme reminds me of the fact that Ruki actually come from the Lost Desert. Great. Love it.
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

Trick wrote:Yup, that age old problem - close and ranged are the wrong way around ;___;
I COMPLETELY agree. This is so clearly the lookup pose:

It's not a bad pet and I like how inventive it is.

Camo is nice, if a little underwhelming. Rukis are funny - I really like the basic rukis, and I would love to love one of their redraw colours, but I can't really get sufficiently excited about them.
Scimthary

Post by Scimthary »

Is the maraquan ruki suposed to look like a mix between a lobster and a dragon? Because it somehow does.

I love the camo one, it's adorable :mrgreen:
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

The only positive thing about the maraquan Ruki (it's just so awkwardly colored and funny looking), is that it looks like an entirely different species, much like the Mutant.

Be nice to get a Darigan Ruki soon.