Fire Gnorbu

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

It would be fantastic if the fire was, ya know, drawn properly. Instead it looks like somone's just tkaen a bunch of firey-coloured paints and blobbed them onto the pet in hopes that they'll turn out like flames. *Points to Huggle's post* Thats how flames really ought to be drawn, but with Neo in red and yellow as well as orange instead of just orange like with the Subeta Reborn pets. And yes we have all been spoiled by the Reborn prettiness *pets Reborn Serpenth*.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

I thought that the Fire Xweetok and the Fire Yurble were ushering in a new era of Fire pets. I like the pets that look like they have real fire. I don't know why they didn't do it in the same style.

If they weren't able to do realistic fire, I wish they'd not done it at all. Colouring it like the Wocky would have been better than this.

Btw, I don't play Subeta, but those pets look beautiful.
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

I agree, all Subeta art looks better than Neopets art, but for a Neopet the Gnorbu actually looks great to me. Its mane reminds me of those fake fires that look really realistically far away but close up look bad. Not that it's bad, but I think it's a nice change of pace from most other pets. Although the sad pose is sort of off.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
checkers

Post by checkers »

The only one I like is this:

The others looks rocky fur and the fire has no detail looks rushed, could have had great potential (sp?) but they ruiend it, was expecting something like Scorchio :D but no they mess it up x_X
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

I agree, all Subeta art looks better than Neopets art
*cough*

I'm sure you could all fill in your own examples of less-than-amazing subeta pets (swampies, for a start?). The basic difference between subeta and neopets is that everyone forgets the colourfills on subeta and the less-than-amazing species because you just don't need to bother with them when you can buy redraws of your favourite species after three days on the site.

I'm not a fan of gnorbus- I still wish we'd got the Lamameeah- but I love the beaten pose. The fire is a little hit-and-miss, but it would be very difficult to draw flames burning upwards without singeing the gnorbu's face.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

dandelions wrote:
*cough*

I'm sure you could all fill in your own examples of less-than-amazing subeta pets (swampies, for a start?). The basic difference between subeta and neopets is that everyone forgets the colourfills on subeta and the less-than-amazing species because you just don't need to bother with them when you can buy redraws of your favourite species after three days on the site.
It also helps that the Subeta artists only have to draw one pose under a deadline, while the Neopets ones have to draw emotion AND battledome poses.

Anyways, this should not be called the "Fire Gnorbu". Instead, this should be called the "Lava Gnorbu", because it's "flaming" mane looks more like a ring of lava.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

Did they make some changes to it? It looks cuter to me now than it did yesterday.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

The word is that the black outlines for the flames have been removed, but it looks the same to me.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

It's definitely different.. I'm not sure if only the outline was changed or the fire was updated too, but it makes a big difference and I like it more now. :D
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Muuch nicer now. Cookies for whoever decided to make the fire look like actual, yanno, flames.
dandelions wrote:
*cough*

Hey, I like the robo-Penguin. =D It's certainly a well-drawn mutated thing, miles better than, say, this: Image

And even if, as you say, the subeta pets are easy to come by (which I wouldn't necessarily agree with; I've certainly worked quite hard for what I have) that doesn't make them less prettyful.
Last edited by Kamil on 05 Jan 2007 04:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Definite improvement! Close attack and hit are among the awesome poses now, and sad isn't as pathetic as it was. I still don't bear love for circle/happy - flames just don't feel right there.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Buttersauce

Post by Buttersauce »

Muuuch better. I admit, it's not a color I'd keep if I were to zap one, but it's neat nonetheless. :D

We need more fire pets like this, damnit!
ImageImage
Friend Code:
3565-8412-4029
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

This is the most perfect fire pet I've ever seen. I love it. Might start zapping for one, even.
Gnorbus are getting alllll the love :D Not even a year old but already so many great redraws :D
Gazella Dama

Post by Gazella Dama »

Well damn, I love it. The only thing sliiightly distracting to me are the fact that the spots on its side are three different colors. I wish they'd picked one and stuck with it.

That said, I think the Subeta art isn't much better on the whole. There are a few good examples of a few species but on the whole it's tremendously inconsistent. The cow-thing (sorry, I don't know the species name) is very nice by itself, for instance, but the flames on the other two just look like woobly orange gelatin or transparent hair. Pretty, but if we're complaining about the fire on the gnorbu not being realistic, that isn't very adequate either. Flame is guttering and bright and bold. They're just stylized in different ways.

Also, I really really like that they actually bothered to include highlights from the flame on the gnorbu's body. Good on you, Neo.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

I think the black outlines were a big part of ruining the 'fieryness' of the mane. It looks better now. I would prefer some more fullness to the top back part of the mane, though. As it is, I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's okay.[/u]