Maraquan Pteri

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I think I would like it better if the bird-to-fish thing hadn't already been done better with the Maraquan Bruce.

And why couldn't a Maraquan Pteri (or whatever) puffin live underwater? Just because Earth puffins can't breathe underwater doesn't mean a puffin-based Maraquan pet couldn't. I mean, Earth cows can't breathe underwater, either, and no one objects to the Maraquan Kau on those grounds.
Copycat

Post by Copycat »

It's dissapointing that they couldn't think of something else to do with birds underwater. Compared to the Lenny, the Pteri and Bruce are neglected in colors. But compared to the lenny, isn't everything less awesome?

Huh. Boring. I understand they couldn't make the feathers into some sort of.. webbing, or something interesting on the bruce, becuase they seem pretty velvety smooth, but the pteri has lost it's lovely desert (haha, get it, lost.. desert..) and deserved something other than.. a fish.. for maraquan. Come on now, there are more creatures than fish that live under the sea! ):
It fits into the overall pteri attitude, but aren't different colors supposed to give, you know, variety to what..

... why am I even complaining? The Pteris have Faerie and Darigan, I suppose they're fine. -slumps in chair; loathing sets in-
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I like it, I really like it. It has so much sheer personality that I can't help liking it.

Fat this, short that, whatever, dude. This thing looks *alive* and that's something that's in too short supply with most pets.

I'll keep my complaining to this: Artist? Kindly step forward and put your hand out. *whap* It should be upside down in the beaten post. Lovely expression though, and bless you for the lack of bandages, canes, and crutches.

You may go, and take a box of biscuits on your way out. Ya done good.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Akerin

Post by Akerin »

Sweet! Another pet based off a real animal. :D I love it.

The only thing that bugs me about it is the size of it's eyes.
That makes it look too much like it's just a giant head with fins.
Akjara

Post by Akjara »

Hm, I don't hate it, but I'm also not to wild about it. I guess it just looks too boring to me. Probably because you can't do to much with a round fish, pose-wise. Not one I would get, but perhaps keep for a while if I zapped it.
Help me to make my Dreams come true?
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I'm sure if I absolutely love this, or hate it o.o I like a lot of the features of it, but some things just irk me on it, I don't like the yellow with the black and blue. Hmmm... I may have to get this.... or I may have to avoid it. So confusing. I think I like it, and either way it's great to see a nice fish pet, none of these merpets.
Happy
Location: South East Asia Listening to: One Fine Day Feeling: Excited

Post by Happy »

I was actually expecting a merpet. This is actually pretty good if you compare it with a regular pteri. Giant eyes, mostly head, tiny body, tail, feet, beak. Yup all there. Also, the floating tears are great.:)
Bunglejub

Post by Bunglejub »

Oh my....

I love this pet!

It's been a while since something came out that I instantly wanted and still did after looking at it for a while. Of course, I still probably won't pay for one, but it's a definite keeper from the lab.

Two BIG thumbs up to whoever drew this
Imagethanks to MM
my account
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

Wingsrising wrote:I think I would like it better if the bird-to-fish thing hadn't already been done better with the Maraquan Bruce.

And why couldn't a Maraquan Pteri (or whatever) puffin live underwater? Just because Earth puffins can't breathe underwater doesn't mean a puffin-based Maraquan pet couldn't. I mean, Earth cows can't breathe underwater, either, and no one objects to the Maraquan Kau on those grounds.
No but most sea mammals live in the water despite breathing air; sea-faring birds in comparsion do not even spend most of their time under-water. They float atop it or fly over it-- they only dive on occansion. I think penguins are the closest we get to a bird that spends the majority of its time underwater, and we already have a penguin-based pet. Not that that's a problem either since we have a seal marq. lupe and a shark marq. grarrl along with the tuskaniny and jetsam. ;)

I guess it's possible that we could have a Neopet under-water bird though. :) But I'd think a lot of the real-life bird characteristics would be lost during the transition then to make it look like a plausible underwater creature. Or it would look like that taxodermy thing I posted earlier or a merpet. :roll: And merpets (though understandingly similar in design since many real sea creatures have similar designs) are generally not the best Marquran pets because they always leave much to be desired.

Maybe someone could edit a regular pteri like a puffin for us to see?
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

You could make a Hesperornis bird I suppose (a prehistoric species), they lived all the time in water.

But I don't think Maraquan pets necessarily need to be something that can breathe water. The Maraquan Lupe is a sea lion, and maybe it doesn't make total sense in an underwater city, but neither does having your unpainted pet visit Maraqua. :wink: And the Maraquan Lupe is really good the way it is.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Lakota wrote:
No but most sea mammals live in the water despite breathing air; sea-faring birds in comparsion do not even spend most of their time under-water. They float atop it or fly over it-- they only dive on occansion.
Right, but most sea mammals don't look like mer-cows, either.

My point was that I don't think high standards of real-world realism are necessary for a Maraquan pet. Hell, most of them could barely swim if you put them under the water. Take any mer-pet (including all Peophins) -- horrible, horrible design for a real-life animal that lives underwater. A Peophin's forelegs, for example, are almost totally useless: they're not much good for swimming and they destroy any streamlining the pet might have had.

But they look cool. Or would if they were revamped.
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

Some people have said they think the Mara Kougra should be revamped to look like a Leofinn. I don't know how I feel about Leofinns, but they do look nicer than the current Maraquan Kougra.

I think some of the mer-pets are done well, but many look bad. The mer-Kau doesn't look all that bad, but the mer-Moehog looks like a bad copy of it. Same color scheme, but all blimpy.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Not an edit, but a sketchy puffinish pteri:
http://aelunii.nemoricultrix.net/puffinpteri.png

I really don't like Pteris' eyes, heh.
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

THing is, it would give them the perfect excuse to do a maraquan pet that's barely a redraw...

And then you get, oh it's too like a pteri, oh it's not sufficiently like a pteri, yadda yadda.

I think a pteri puffin could easily look the Aces, but I still like the pudgy blue fish.
Akjara

Post by Akjara »

I like your sketch Jazzy, but unfortunately it doesn't look very maraquanish to me, if you know what I mean. I just looks like a pteri-penguin cross.
The same goes for phoebemittens edit. It looks nice as itself, but not like a maraquan colour.
That said I have to admit that I like the idea for the pteri as it is now. I'm just not to wild about it. *g*
Help me to make my Dreams come true?