Account hacked

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Account hacked

Post by Nogitsune »

Despite TNT's claims to the contrary, someone got into my main account. I don't give out my password, though I did get a nice warning about posting that my account had been hacked into (apparently the site has never, ever been hacked into).

The account is frozen but I'm unsure what damage has been done. My pets all still seem to be there, but I'm hoping I can get it back soon.

I'm also sorry I dropped off the face of the internet. I've been hugely busy this semester between two different programming classes, and most of my time has been spent with those. If I don't get my main account back, though, I'll likely just drop out entirely. Much as I liked neopets, I simply don't do much more than my dailies on my main account. If I can't get it back, I don't see any point in bothering with anything neopets related. Rebuilding on my side would take too long, and I couldn't get what I lost in quests and such back anyway.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Kantark

Re: Account hacked

Post by Kantark »

Good to hear from you again, Nogitsune. I hope you get your account back, it's intact, and you carry on playing - even just dailies (pretty much all I do now too, unless there's a plot on)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Kantark wrote:Good to hear from you again, Nogitsune. I hope you get your account back, it's intact, and you carry on playing - even just dailies (pretty much all I do now too, unless there's a plot on)
Thanks! I wish I knew more about how these things worked. I'm dreading the state of my bank account.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Ughhh, I'm sorry to hear that! That's terrible... site security really is horrifying.
Image Image
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

AngharadTy wrote:Ughhh, I'm sorry to hear that! That's terrible... site security really is horrifying.
Well the worse part is that I got a warning because I claimed my account was hacked. Apparently neopet's site has never been hacked ever. I'm still at a loss as to how the person got my password if this is the case, since I don't give it to anyone.

I'm more worried my main account will be tied up for a long time and I'll end up missing out on plots and such.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Ugh, they need to figure out how to keep CGs and such from continuing to get through. And i wonder what kinds of scripts/programs/etc. they used to get to yours.

I hope TNT returns your account intact. The "Jelly World doesn't exist" thing is annoyingly cute. The "hackers don't exist on Neopets" thing is just a feeble attempt to make people feel worse about "not securing their accounts" and try to keep the scare of it under wraps.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Fjorab_Teke wrote:Ugh, they need to figure out how to keep CGs and such from continuing to get through. And i wonder what kinds of scripts/programs/etc. they used to get to yours.

I hope TNT returns your account intact. The "Jelly World doesn't exist" thing is annoyingly cute. The "hackers don't exist on Neopets" thing is just a feeble attempt to make people feel worse about "not securing their accounts" and try to keep the scare of it under wraps.
Thanks. This is what annoyed me about the warning more than anything. I've taken courses in computer programming and I know perfectly well that if someone can come up with something to play games for them they'd certainly be able to come up with something to figure out other folk's passwords. Blaming the victim is not the way to go when the victim is genuinely not at fault.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Agreed. After my account was compromised I tried to get an actual answer as to how it could have happened, because of course I want to make sure I don't stumble into the same trap again. But I just got the usual spiel about giving my password to other people and falling for fake login screens.

Good luck getting back into yours, I hope the damage isn't too great.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

EofS wrote:Agreed. After my account was compromised I tried to get an actual answer as to how it could have happened, because of course I want to make sure I don't stumble into the same trap again. But I just got the usual spiel about giving my password to other people and falling for fake login screens.

Good luck getting back into yours, I hope the damage isn't too great.
Thanks! Well I got it stopped before he could do anything to my neopets. Everything else is replaceable.
Darigan

Post by Darigan »

Good luck, Nogitsune.

Hope you get your account back soon.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Darigan wrote:Good luck, Nogitsune.

Hope you get your account back soon.
Thanks! I do too! I wish I knew how long it was going to take.
Themacwe

Post by Themacwe »

I hope you get your account back! Trust me I know how it feels... I'm in pre- med school and my main was frozen because someone hacked it and I have no idea how! I've given up on my account sadly after sending over 4 tickets and not getting any farther in getting my account back in the last 3 months :(

Sadly I don't have the time I used to, to play and Im just struggling to get a UC MSPP which was my all time favorite pet on my old account.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope it's better than mine!
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Themacwe wrote:I hope you get your account back! Trust me I know how it feels... I'm in pre- med school and my main was frozen because someone hacked it and I have no idea how! I've given up on my account sadly after sending over 4 tickets and not getting any farther in getting my account back in the last 3 months :(

Sadly I don't have the time I used to, to play and Im just struggling to get a UC MSPP which was my all time favorite pet on my old account.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope it's better than mine!
I've seen on the neoboards that it can take up to a year for them to unfreeze accounts. Best of luck in your studies!