Stock Market Achieva(woe)

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Kantark

Stock Market Achieva(woe)

Post by Kantark »

Mostly Achieva with a little bit of Woe, though...

Today I finally hit my target of half a million shares - that's well over 500 days of buying 1000 a day, eep! Mostly achieved by bumping my sell point up to 100 over the last few months, now I can relax that a little. Hooray!

Typically, the day I finally hit this milestone my portfolio shows an overall loss for the first time in literally months. Lots of red numbers there - I hope they're not going to pull a 'Neopian stock market apes real life' stunt like they did during the Enron scandal.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Ailiel

Re: Stock Market Achieva(woe)

Post by Ailiel »

Congratulations! I've been pretty much riding steady at ~150 shares for half a year now with a sell point of 70. I've been thinking about maybe building up my portfolio.

It's not just you in the red, my port is as well, for the first time in months. And I haven't sold anything very recently either. Fingers crossed they aren't doing that.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Mine's just done the same, thanks basically solely to CHPS' big fall over the last couple of days. My portfolio has been overwhelmingly red for a few weeks, but 6,000 CHPS in the 30s has been compensating for that (against my belief) and I've stayed in the green. But now... ugh. It doesn't look good.

Congrats though. That is incredible perseverance.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Congrats on half-mil! I hope those all serve you well. :)

Mine too. I sold my 2000 shares of KAUF when it hit 75 (my sell point now) about 2 days ago, and now my port totals look like this:

Chg Qty Paid Mkt Value % Change
Totals: 372,000 5,596,000 5,031,000 -10.10%
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Congratulations! But, bugger, you're right. The real-life economy's doing badly, so if any Neopets stocks are going to crash, it'll be now. Here's hoping it's not one of the ones I have 10,000+ shares in. (Unless they crash the two biggest stocks, HELT and POWR, since I own some of every other stock I'm going to lose something.)
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Hmm, my port was showing about -1.6%~ish yesterday, it's now at -6%. I lost out badly last time - although I had a very small portflio back then a good percentage of it was invested in BOOM. I think I've got shares in just about every stock except the two biggies now, too. Hopefully it's just a coincidence and a temporary blip - I'm optimistic that most of TNT have forgotten the stockmarket exists and if it's not broken they won't break it. *fingers crossed*

Ailiel, good luck if you do decide to build up your port - it's pretty difficult to resist selling a stock when it's up to the 90's, trust me ;)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Mine's at -19%, which means it's worth about 500k less than I paid for it. Small change in the grand scheme of things, but I haven't seen my port this low in a long time.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Mine's at -18.01%, which is a little better than it was a couple days ago (-22 something). It's worth 470k less than I paid. My highest stock is CHPS at 37, ew.

A friend of mine was doing some research into whether or not the neo stockmarket mirrors the real-life one at all (he suspects that it does). Not sure how far he got with that.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm not sure it does on a day-to-day basis, but when a major real-life corporation goes bankrupt, they bankrupt stocks. They did it during Enron, iirc.
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Mine is down -3.27%, which at 153k shares is down 75,000 neopoints. Actually not terrible overall. It's kind of rebounding a bit. NAKR and CHPS are keeping it afloat.

I'm not too worried, it does tend to fluctuate up and down and it's been in the green for a really really long time. It doesn't matter much to me either way until something hits my sell point.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Wow, CHPS really shot up there fast... sold 8 lots of it today at 61 for a nice profit (I'm in the buy at 15, sell at 60 camp). Now EEEEE and a few others need to do the same!
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Damn, I saw Cranberry's post and ran to check CHPS, and it's dropped to 58. I hope it goes up two more points ;_;