my head a-splode. [adoption-trading frustration]

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Arviragus

Re: my head a-splode. [adoption-trading frustration]

Post by Arviragus »

Only somewhat related, but another thing that REALLY irks me about the whole trading thing is when people Neomail you out of the blue asking for one of your pets. I've got a well-named UC Plushie Korbat on my main account, and even though I don't check in more than once in a blue moon I'd never consider giving him up as his painting was a gift from a dear friend. Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I log in one day to get an Neomail going something like "zomg I found your Korbat on a Plushie directory and was wondering if you'd trade me for a Baby Pteri??!11!!?!"

Uh...no.
Subeta
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Arviragus wrote:Only somewhat related, but another thing that REALLY irks me about the whole trading thing is when people Neomail you out of the blue asking for one of your pets. I've got a well-named UC Plushie Korbat on my main account, and even though I don't check in more than once in a blue moon I'd never consider giving him up as his painting was a gift from a dear friend. Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I log in one day to get an Neomail going something like "zomg I found your Korbat on a Plushie directory and was wondering if you'd trade me for a Baby Pteri??!11!!?!"

Uh...no.
YES! This is the plot hole that Neo forgot about. What happens to the rest of us lucky UC'ers minding our own damn business and want nothing to do with that board? I don't report those people because I know they had to have found me in the UC directory. But yeah, it's always chatspeak 11 year olds thinking if there's a link to your pet on another page, you're giving it away.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
covet

Post by covet »

There are still a few people who just post there to put a pet in the pound, but they are very much in the minority - and then the people who pick up those pets post boards like

'OMG LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN THE POUND.... UFT'

In other words, people pick up the pets just to trade them off. The number of boards of people demanding baby pets for their checkered grundo and ending up upset and frustrated because no one wants it is simply staggering. And just like the regular trades board has the big hitters with 10 trades or rare items, there are people with whole accounts of draiks and krawks just trying to trade up.

It is a weird, frustrating place.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

I've noticed quite a few people with some sort of image on their pet's lookup stating their pet isn't up for trade. Though most of the images are rather gaudy looking that I've seen, I can't help but wonder if they, or just a little message somewhere on the user/pet lookups, is enough of a deterrent for begging to those people that find pets via UC galleries.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
varii

Post by varii »

Xelio wrote:I've noticed quite a few people with some sort of image on their pet's lookup stating their pet isn't up for trade. Though most of the images are rather gaudy looking that I've seen, I can't help but wonder if they, or just a little message somewhere on the user/pet lookups, is enough of a deterrent for begging to those people that find pets via UC galleries.
From personal experience, no it is not. But it might differ depending on how persistent the person is and how desirable your pet is.
rei @ neopets
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Ah well, suppose I can't blame those people for trying.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

For what it's worth, since I've had a note (plain text) on my pets I've not been bothered with beggars.

Not that I've ever had any of those, but I had a lovely week or two wherein a couple of different morons persisted in trying to trade away Suzanne, my unconverted faerie Pteri.

Thankfully, a couple of nice souls PM'd me to tell me what was up, so I just added the note saying that anyone who said this pet was up for adoption or trade was lying and left things to sort themselves out.

And they did. Haven't been bothered since.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
covet

Post by covet »

Well, it seems like offering a well named, hand hatched and painted maraquan draik is not enough to get you a UC royal kyrii. I've made almost a board a night on the subject, with two people vaguely interested but ultimately falling through, and one person suggesting I could have her RG Kyrii in return for 'an army of custom draiks'.

Uh.

Several people mentioned having traded away their UC Royals for maraquan draiks last month, so maybe I'm just slightly behind the times. Sigh.

Now someone has offered a UC plushie Ixi on one of my pets. It is possible I could trade a UC plushie Ixi for a UC Royalgirl Kyrii... but they've offered on Glinda. Glinda being my faerie krawk who I used to adore but am now sad about because I don't like the new version Krawks. But I still love her name and I stalked it forever and, argh.

Why can't Glinda magically become a UC RG Kyrii?

I just know if I do the trade they'll bring out an 'unconvert' item tomorrow. It's like having super rare trading cards you can't buy with anything but other super rare trading cards.

Anyway, I just needed somewhere to whine.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

I agree that this is like the most annoying thing to ever happen.

I had a few outstanding pet goals when customization happened, but overall I was lucky, with four of my pets and a lab rat being spared. I traded off the lab rat (grey ixi) for an unconverted faerie peophin, which I was very satisfied with.

The pets I wanted but are gone FOREVER, like tyrannian kougras, don't torment me. It's easy for me to accept that they are, just simply, gone. But unconverted pets that other people have, and I can NEVER have, ever? It chaffes at me. There are unconverted pets that I loved before customization but had no desire to own for myself. I was happy to view them on other people's accounts. Now they torment me.

I think the only way I would have been happy at customization is if I had five accounts full of old art pets. I try to be happy with what I have. My unconverted pets are some of my favorite pet art that was. Side account pets don't even really do anything but sit there and look pretty anyway. But what gets me is that TNT could end my frustration with this, and they won't. Also that I could have had these pets, if I had only painted them in time. Ugh.