my head a-splode. [adoption-trading frustration]

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
covet

my head a-splode. [adoption-trading frustration]

Post by covet »

uuuurgh.

Really, TNT. Whose bright idea was it to leave only selected pets unconverted, give us no way to unconvert the pets that -were- raped by the system... and then allow people to trade for them?

It is possibly the most frustrating thing in the world to have a longstanding yen for a royal Kyrii couple (but only the UC versions), and know that people are out there trading them like gambling chips, but not for anything I can offer.

Most people with UC royals who are trading want either other UC royals or UC draiks... both of which I have but couldn't possibly part with. Ugh, I say. Ugh.

I've resigned myself to painting a converted royal shoyru, but the converted royal kyriis are so ugly.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Usul_Princess

Re: my head a-splode. [adoption-trading frustration]

Post by Usul_Princess »

Welcome to why you left in the first place. XD

Don't do that to yourself, covet. You will hate the boards, and yourself, and you'll gain a few bald spots in the process. People will wait for trading for *months* on end, only for the other moron to flake out on them and change their mind. Neo is going to great lengths to convince the masses about why you should like 2.0 better. And it's failing. horribly. Is it just me, or can you read the undercurrent of "I HATE CONVERTED PETS! CHANGE THEM BACK!!!!" on the boards? No one in their right mind would go through all this mess if you could just save up for one.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
covet

Post by covet »

Hahaha yes. I... don't think I can take the boards for long. But part of me thinks if I don't try now then they'll be even rarer than hens teeth in a month or so, and you'll only be able to get one by signing a blood contract with satan himself.

It's just.... ridiculous. And frustrating and sad-making, and yes it does remind me of why I left. All the identikit paper doll pets they have now. All the beautiful, unique, incredible art they used to have. Have any pets since the switch actually been something to 'wow' over?

I wonder if they'll ever allow us to unconvert.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Yes - it got really tough there of late. I think draiks and krawks and other UC pets are almost the only currency for any unconverted pets at the moment.

I had luck in venturing there very early on and managing to get my desired UC desert poogle before the things went completely crazy. I got a badly named one for a baby hissi, and a well named one for a poogle which I painted plushie for them. I won't even attempt looking for an UC plushie usul. There's maybe five in existence, if that many.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Have you tried asking around proper adoption agencies, not traders? Surely there must be one or two UC Royals left out there, especially if you're not picky about names.

As for good-looking converted pets, I like the Faerie Acara (the yellow is much less eye-hurting, and it doesn't look like it's trying to stand on its hind paws) and the new Island Moehog defied my expectations by showing that a Moehog could actually be pretty. I think everyone has his or her favourite :)

On the other hand, there is increasing pressure on TNT to make an unconvert option. They can't do it now, they said so, but maybe in a year's time or whatever (when all the NC Mall donations and whatnot start to stack up) they'll be able to afford better servers that can handle it.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
covet

Post by covet »

I'm afraid I find standard neopets adoptions even more frustrating than trades. The only place I've ever adopted from is the NC - people who already know me and don't expect a 5000 word illustrated essay on why flopsy bunny should come and live with my pets in their great carrot field in the sky.

I've actually checked out a couple of royal kyrii adoption options. One had three petpages worth of rules, one said it had over a hundred applicants, both had 'deadlines' set several months away, and one stated that they might change their mind about adopting, anyway.

It makes my head hurt just considering it. I do write a bit for my pets, and I do do art - the proof is in all the trophies on my lookup. But I like to do it for myself when the mood takes me, really.

Bringing in an unconvert option in a years time would be incredibly frustrating to the people who have traded beloved pets for something they feel there is no other way to get - but I know I'd be glad to see one. I do very much doubt neopets is actually too poor to afford the servers, though. With all the merchandise and video game tie ins? Really?

Thanks for the suggestions XD I'll go and check out the faerie acara - since she got converted, Glinda just hasn't looked quite right as a faerie krawk.
Rainbow Daydreamer

covet wrote:I'm afraid I find standard neopets adoptions even more frustrating than trades. The only place I've ever adopted from is the NC - people who already know me and don't expect a 5000 word illustrated essay on why flopsy bunny should come and live with my pets in their great carrot field in the sky.

I've actually checked out a couple of royal kyrii adoption options. One had three petpages worth of rules, one said it had over a hundred applicants, both had 'deadlines' set several months away, and one stated that they might change their mind about adopting, anyway.
Wow, you've run into some demanding foster parents by the sound of it. Sorry to hear it. (I don't ask for petpages or art, and have always been kind of suspicious of those who insist on them, although my own particular brand of irritating behaviour tends to involve losing or mixing up Neomails while I'm interviewing-- I can't help it, Neo eats mail and I'm a scatterbrain.) Unfortunately I guess it is just a matter of luck which foster parents have UC pets of what species. (I just adopted out a UC Sponge Kiko, and can honestly say that not ALL unconverted pets will have applicants beating down your door. It took more than a year to even get some applications.)
covet

Post by covet »

Sadly I think the general rule is the more high demand a pet, the more hoops you have to jump through. Not in every case. The couple of adoptions I did with people on here were wonderful, but for so many of the people on the neoboards it seems to be more about showing off their trophy pet than finding it a new home.

Granted, if I wanted to find a new home for a pet I wouldn't want to just let it take its chances in the pound - I've had enough pets picked up on immediately abandoned newbie or side accounts. But if I wasn't giving it to someone I know, I'd rather just lurk until I found someone who seemed to be looking for it as a permie, and then make them really happy.

I don't know, a large part of it is TNT's fault for literally creating something money can't buy.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I've given up on ever getting a UC MSPP, UC Darigan Draik or UC Darigan Krawk. I just refuse to attempt to trade my own semi-desirable UC pets to get them.

It's kind of weird to no longer have any kind of dream pet that I can work for, but I just put my nps into training/battle stuff instead.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I think I said this on your other board, but I do completely agree. I don't see why TNT can't release a UC-revert option now, because, think about it, those images are still on the server and are still taking up space. Might as well use them for something.

And gods, I HATE the pound board, granted that's where I got my adorable desert kyrii, but trying to get anything you really want is a royal pain in the ass. I have lots of pets, some of which are practically the best thing since sliced bread, I'm just not trading them. And the ones I'm not going to draw and use in any way no one wants to trade for or adopt. It makes getting even a converted robot kyrii with casings impossible and I'm not even going to try trading for a UC royal kyrii pair. Even though I have just enough NP to paint them on my own, I don't like the way the converted ones look.

That and half the time you can never find your dream pet anyway, and when you do, the person wants a custom pirate or something for it. D:
covet

Post by covet »

Hahaha I wish they wanted custom pirates for it. Most people trading UC royals will only trade for something they consider to be worth more than their pet.

Now, with a maraquan draik currently running at about 14 mil if you create it yourself, I would have thought it was worth more than an unconverted royal, but not anymore. Unless it's a more desirable UC royal, UC plushie, or UC draik, you're basically out of luck.

And hahaha, someone I just mailed to ask what they're looking for on their RG kyrii tells me the 'coverted offer to beat is 50 million'.

Um. What.

I saw someone on the pound board last night demanding three painted krawks in return for their rare plushie pet (plus two basic pets thrown in to make the trade 'legal' apparently). It's a little more craziness than I can take when I'm not interested in 'trading up', just getting a pet I really love which isn't available through converted means anymore.

I guess I'll hold out for the pipedream an unconvert option is brought in one day. I am not cut out for this nutsiness.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'm honestly surprised they haven't made it a cash shop item/option by now. They'd probably make tons of money, and isn't that what they want most now?

All the pets I have left now are converted, I do believe. But you're welcome to any of them if they'll get you a trade. I have an orange chia, but it's probably not worth near enough to get you what you want. :(
Rainbow Daydreamer

covet wrote:
And hahaha, someone I just mailed to ask what they're looking for on their RG kyrii tells me the 'coverted offer to beat is 50 million'.

Um. What.

I saw someone on the pound board last night demanding three painted krawks in return for their rare plushie pet (plus two basic pets thrown in to make the trade 'legal' apparently).
You can report both of those by the sound of it, and rightly so. Asking for NP for a pet or trying to disguise a non 1:1 trade is very illegal and, while I'm against trading in general, while it still exists we need to come down hard on this kind of behaviour.
covet

Post by covet »

Aww Huggles. It's okay, I don't want to be offering up other people's pets or anything. I have eight unconverted pets myself, of which only my darigan draik would be considered 'worth it', and there's no way I could ever, ever part with him.

Kind of crazy that the reason we were given for customising pets in the first place was that the 'most wanted' thing on the site was a way for pets to wear clothes. Now the 'most wanted' thing is a way to go back XD

I, too, am very surprised they haven't made it a cash shop item. And beyond that, unconverted pets can still have background and wear trinkets. I'm sure they could make just as much cash shop money out of people decorating their UCs.

I doubt we'll get an unconvert item, personally. It's just been so long.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Covet, it really is *that* bad. And yes, I do find sheer irony in the fact that the pets we apparently "demanded" TNT to auto-covert, nobody wants. Try Neotrades.com. It's a slightly less nerve wracking way to find decent traders. I tried the entire 5 weeks she's been on to get a UC faerie lenny for Larkspurlane, and failed.

EDIT: And this never crossed my mind. But there is next to no one on those boards putting their pet up for adoption. Which is really sad because now people want to cash in on the deal. They can't just give away a pet they don't want. They'd much rather go through the nuances of "'i want ur pet pls!'" and "'nty to all'. sry." if means there's something in it for them.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy