Devastated (EDIT: Happy ending!)

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Mistress Morbid

Devastated (EDIT: Happy ending!)

Post by Mistress Morbid »

EDIT: Just to put out a warning to everyone that there's pretty good proof the Neopets' servers have been hacked. Anyone's account could be compromised right now. I'd suggest changing all of your passwords and PINs!

First of all, I know this post is out of the blue as I've been absent from both Neopets and these forums for quite some time. The recent Warm Fuzzies had me check you guys out again for old time's sake.

Anyways, for the hell of it I decided to login to Neopets just to take a look at my pets and see what's new.

It was then that I realized that 4 of my pets have been stolen. I'm surprised how much this has upset me, considering that I pretty much abandoned my accounts. The pets were stolen off my main account and one of my side accounts. All of them were rare pets. I still have over 1 million NP in the bank, and everything else seems to be untouched.

Eerie (Krawk); Shroomy, Wythorn, and Sinthom (Draiks) were the 4 that were taken. Wythorn upsets me the most out of these 4, I saved up for ages to by the Darigan Draik egg, and I really loved that pet. He's now on a frozen account. I'm so grateful that Zhale was not taken, he's just a plain Shadow Shoyru but was my first pet and the most developed. Even though I've deleted all of my pets' descriptions and pages, I kept all of that stuff on my computer. They'll always be special due to the personalities I created for them. This was also one of the reasons I was never going to delete my accounts permanently. I wanted these pets to go on existing, even if on a stale account, just to say that I still had them and they were mine, and I knew where they were.

I'm stunned and pissed off because I have no idea how this could have happened. I only log into my accounts every once in a while to keep them active so they aren't deleted. My password was ridiculously complicated, and I have never shared it or been on any scam sites. My email address was not changed, and I also had a PIN number for doing anything......I just don't understand.

So yeah....I'm here to mourn the loss of my pets. :'(
Last edited by Mistress Morbid on 11 Aug 2009 11:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image
Fury

Re: Devastated over pet theft

Post by Fury »

Oh my God, that's so strange! I'm really sorry to hear that you've lost your pets. :(
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Wow that's really horrible and sad. I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you can get them back if you reported it though - I've heard that they sometimes give pets back.
Mistress Morbid

Yeah, I sent off a form explaining everything. Even if I could only get some back I'd be a little bit happier. Shroomy and Eerie might be more difficult because they belong to active owners, but Wythorn and Sinthom are both sitting on frozen accounts.

The biggest thing I want to know is *how* this happened...it completely boggles me. I have my accounts set up so that you have to use a PIN in order to do anything, including abandoning pets. So they obviously got my password and PIN, yet they didn't touch my bank account which has over 1 million NP, and the email and password weren't changed.
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I don't know how they would have gotten your PIN, but do you have the same password for Neopets and Subeta? There was that thing a while ago about Subeta passwords being stolen, and Neopets accounts being targeted by the hackers. I don't remember many details right now, but everyone was told to change their Subeta and Neopets passwords.

I'm sorry; that sucks. =( Even though I don't play anymore, I kept my favorite Neopets, and I'd be pretty sad if I signed onto my account and discovered that they were suddenly missing. And your pets were so important to you! They had great designs and stories and pages and everything. Hopefully you can at least get a few of them back.
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Oh my god that's awful. Ugh, I'm horrified. It had to have happened in the last two months, because I checked on your pets not that long ago and they were doing fine. :( I always loved your pets and the way your accounts were set up... how completely awful. I am so, so sorry. It's even making me feel awful, as if I lost something, too. Some little bit of the old Neocolours, maybe. I remember you posting about these guys in the old Achievements and Tales of Woe board... and now posting about them again, but for such an unfortunate reason.

I can't express my condolences enough. I agree that even if you weren't playing anymore, it was still a nice monument and remembrance of what was to have all the pets together and on your account. I hope you can get some kind of justice.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

That is really, really awful. I'm pissed off for you. Geez! I don't use my accounts either, but I'd be really upset if my pets disappeared. Ughhhh.

Wasn't there some sort of brief bug with the trading system where it auto-accepted trades if you didn't... do something... exactly right? I dunno. I forgot almost all my Neopets stuff.
Image Image
Mistress Morbid

Every one of my neopets and subeta accounts had a unique password, so that's ruled out.

I'm also extremely confused because now I see that all of my accounts have been signed in within the last 10 days...I haven't checked any of them for months. The only one I logged into today was my main, so that means someone's in all of them....but they haven't taken my other Krawks yet.

Gah, this is so frustrating.
Image Image
Mistress Morbid

New developments:

So I just went through my accounts and systematically changed all of their passwords AND pin numbers (as well as checked off the PIN use for every action I could). My only problem is the account striped_hat, which must have been listed under a different email for password recovery. I'm hoping I may have the password stashed somewhere at home, as I can't remember what other email it would be under.

Also, on the account that used to have Shroomy on it, I found a still-lingering event of the Pet Transfer to a user by the name of pikeral. I don't know if they might be the perpetrator, but I sent them a mail inquiring about the pet transfer.

*sighs* I'm not really sure why I'm getting so stressed over this, but I really just want to get to the bottom of it. I am still at a loss at how someone got into all 5 of my accounts when they each had separate passwords. I also know that they have not hacked into my email address since I never received any Password Recovery notifications. Plus the fact that they obviously had my PIN in order to abandon/transfer my pets in the first place. Not to mention the fact that I haven't been playing in *years* so there's no cookie grabbers or scam sites responsible.
Image Image
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh, hey, I'd be doing exactly the same thing you are. Spending a lot of time trying to get to the bottom of it. I hope you keep us posted, because we care too... I just wish there were something more I could do. Email TNT every day!
Image Image
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

D: That sounds absolutely horrible. Your poor pets. Poor you. :< I can't even imagine the fit I'd throw if I found my pets missing. And I don't understand how? Because this makes absolutely no sense. I hope TNT can do something about it. :(
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Hold onto your hats, kids. Munsterpoo and featheralley are both on lockdown for their own protection by TNT. Apparently this is no cookie grab scheme; someone has managed to hack into the Neopets databases. They hold a key to all of our accounts. And apparently they are selling the ability to get into our accounts, and presumably selling our pets too, offsite.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, MM, if they practiced these skills on your account. Anyone who has pets listed in directories, or are very google-able, are going to be at risk right now. No one is safe.

Panic ensue. I do not feel comfortable right now at all.

Screenshots from inside munsterpoo's account:
http://www.neopets.com/~Vinerous
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Aw, MM. I'm sorry. :(
Ailiel wrote:Hold onto your hats, kids. Munsterpoo and featheralley are both on lockdown for their own protection by TNT. Apparently this is no cookie grab scheme; someone has managed to hack into the Neopets databases. They hold a key to all of our accounts.

...O_O!

...That is all.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Mistress Morbid

Fuck....

Yeah, I just finished discussing with my boyfriend what's been happening. I explained the whole situation to him and right away he said the only way was that someone hacked into the Neopets servers. He's an IT Tech and knows eveything about that kind of thing. I told him how it was not even feasible that someone could guess 5 separate, random passwords ALONGSIDE pin numbers when I haven't been active to fall for any cookiegrabbers or schemes.

So this is on TNT's shoulders alright. If they pull some shit where they blame me for compromising my accounts I will punch them.
Image Image
varii

Post by varii »

Ugh. This is disheartening to say the least. And of course we'll never actually have an official response, but I hope they are dealing with it in a way to really truly put a stop to CGing and apparent hackers.

A few weeks ago on Charter there was someone who believed they were CG'd, but were really confused as the person got their pets off of their account even though they used a PIN. TNT did get their account back together rather quickly, but I guess she was another who this person was using as a skill test. :/

I'm really sorry, I hope you get your pets back and no one else (especially from here) loses theirs. :(
rei @ neopets