Someone up there really liked me.

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
kaisuopai

Someone up there really liked me.

Post by kaisuopai »

...or did, when I was younger. When Krawks first came out around...2002? 03? I fell in love with them. So in a random turn of events, Our Dread Lord Dr. Sloth decides to up and drop a Krawk Transmogrification Potion in my lap. I gave it to my Kyrii and painted him purple, and we lived happily ever after.

...or so I'd like to say, but here's the woeful part; I'm locked out of that account because I used a fake birthday when I was younger, for fear of strangers on the intarwebs. Strange luck I'm having.
Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table...
invsagoth

Re: Someone up there really liked me.

Post by invsagoth »

You can figure out the year by friending the account to see how old you're supposed to be, and the date by trying to input dates systematically (I think you have 3 tries a day before you get locked out of trying) and/or watching your friends list until the age changes. I did that, and got two random birthdays that I had put in (arg) within a year. I didn't try to find the date, I just waited until the bday changed. I also kept track of the last day that I had checked, so that if I missed I would only have a small range to check.
Thank you to Jazzy for the av!
kaisuopai

Post by kaisuopai »

The only problem with friending the account is that my age is listed as "???". I think I had my security settings too high, four years ago.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Invsagoth, she's right. Once TNT caught on that people were "breaking into" their own accounts with the birthday trick, dormant accounts, and any account that didn't modify 'display age' under settings now has "???" as the month/date/year so neofriends couldn't see the age. It used to be unlimited tries.

Basically, if you don't know the year, you're screwed. I've heard you can log into your account without the birthday thing on a cellphone, but other than that.... :?
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
kaisuopai

Post by kaisuopai »

And if that's the case, I'm almost desperate enough to give my usn/pass to someone with a phone to see if they can "hack in" for me. But with TNT's rather arbitrary enforcement of the rules, that would probably result in freezing (not to mention the whole account-stealing issue).
EofS

Post by EofS »

I don't think that can be the case U_P. The vast majority of my neofriended accounts are long, long abandoned and every single one of them has the age listed. (Two don't - both so old they've been purged, and neither had ever been accepted. I suspect that, the non-acceptance, is probably what causes the problem.)

Can you think of anyone who would have had you neofriended?

(I can see why they would do it though - because if you can figure out the listed birthday then the security measure is completely insecure. What's the point of having it if a hacker with your password can figure it out exactly the same way that you can?)

Good luck getting back in!
invsagoth

Post by invsagoth »

Ah, I didn't know about the '???' thing. Perhaps it was because for me both accounts were my accepted neofriends. (It was easier to friend them so I could move items around galleries more easily.)

Sorry about the outdated advice. :/
Thank you to Jazzy for the av!
kaisuopai

Post by kaisuopai »

's okay. ^^;; I've heard this advice from lots of people, and I really wish it did work...

As for neofriends, I'm checking through all of my contacts right now, but it's highly unlikely that I'd remember anyone from four+ years ago, even if I tried...I had a few multis, but I seem to have lost the e-mails to those as well, so I can't check and see if they're connected to my main in any way. Gaah.