Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Rah

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Rah »

Speaking of hilarious toilet related humour - has anyone had their zebstrika put to sleep? The 'zzzzz' comes out of his butt. I lol'd.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I agree about the bag, I'm finding it really confusing this time around. There's something about the way it's organized that makes me struggle every time I need a repel or hyper potion or something.

One little thing (very little thing...) that I'm enjoying a lot is the new pop-ups that tell you when an Ability was activated. I think that's a cute addition, and makes some Abilities a little more transparent. And yes, like Tom said, Sturdy is now the most irritating one ever. I just love wasting 2 PP instead of 1 to kill all the freaking Boldores everywhere...

I'm relieved that I wasn't the only one who found the start of the game actually pretty challenging. I thought it was mostly because I hated almost all of the first 20 pokemon I had access to, but apparently it was annoying even if you liked some of them. My downfall with this gen is that I want pretty much all of the new ghosts on my final team, and many of them aren't found until later in the game.

Right now, my team is:

-Petal, Jellicent (female. I went to great lengths to catch a Frillish that was a) female b) had Cursed Body and c) had a good nature. I also caught them all in heal balls because I'm addicted to matching the ball to the pokemon.)
-Roman, Litwick (Roman candle... Eh, eh? I love this line, although I haven't found a dusk stone yet...)
-Dilly, Vanillish (caught because Vanillite is so adorable, but the entire line grew on me so I'll take it all the way to the end. Actually has pretty decent stats, and learned Ice Beam at level 35, which will be super helpful for the last gym)

The other three on my team right now are a Krookodile, Swoobat and Joltik (named Fuzzums), and although I've enjoyed raising them a lot and they've served me well, they won't be post-game team members like the other three. I'm still waiting to catch a Pawniard, a Golett, and I have a Dwebble but I haven't got around to training it yet)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I caught a female good-natured frillish with cursed body in a heal ball, too! Hehe. I'm training that and a pawniard to be my final two team members. Although I'll add even more later.

I'm through Victory Road and up to the E4, and now I'm trying to figure out the best way to train all my pokemon. It sure would be nice if I could re-challenge previous trainers. No go, though. Why is that? Do we finally get the VS Seeker after "winning" the game? I'm also really annoyed that I don't have some of my final moves now because the TMs for them are in some post-E4 areas. Great, there's something on the road. I think I can deal with it. LET ME PAST.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Augh, this freaking bag! >_< Do not like.

Black finally arrived in my mailbox and I've already put 8 hours into it (I'm "rushing" to catch up with my friend who has White so we can battle). I got REALLY lucky with my starter: I was expecting to spend at least a good half hour soft-resetting for gender and I ended up with a female starter on my first try. Nature's not great but I'm going to switch her out for another water type down the road anyway. :P

I also caught my Victini this morning; I was originally planning on soft-resetting for nature but it took me so long to catch it that I just accepted the Hasty it came with (I was hoping for a speed boost anyway so it's not exactly a loss). I've been switching pokemon in-and-out of the box based on what types I need but right now my team looks like this:

Lilo the Dewott
Clover the Victini [keeping for story team]
Valant the Woobat
Toph the Timburr [possibly keeping for story team]
Aurora the Munna
Random Lillipup w/Pickup so I can grab free stuff

I just beat the third gym, but I need to head back into the city to face that group of battling businesspeople and level up my team some more. Incidentally, I learned that if you're planning on trading over one of the giveaway pokemon to get your hands on Zorua you need to see this guy and do his little song and dance routine. Simply trading the pokemon over won't trigger the event. :/
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I connected to the GTS today, for the first time, the moment I do, I get the trading animation, Im all kinds of WTF , since I never put anything up for trade. It trades over an egg, and sends it to the PC. When I looked in there, it was a Zorua..the OT is someone named Ceol, and caught in a Premier Ball...o_O Im all kinds of confused since its just wtf, AND whenever I reconnect to the gts, it sends me another.

Woo, and I found out, it was from http://gts1.ceolbox.net/pkm here!

So, you can get some there!
Image Image
ImageImage
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

I finally got round to beating the Elite 4 yesterday. I'd heard so many horror stories about some of the Pokemon in there that I decided to be the paranoid idiot who grinds her Pokemon to ridiculous levels beforehand. So my final team heading in was:

L60 Braviary
Crush Claw/Aerial Ace/Rock Slide/Superpower

L60 Sigilyph
Fly/Shadow Ball/Psychic/Air Slash

L60 Samurott
X-Scissor/Surf/Aqua Jet/Strength

L60 Sawsbuck
Leech Seed/Horn Leech/Double Kick/Jump Kick

L60 Galvantula
Thunderbolt/Electro Ball/Bug Buzz/Thudnerwave

plus an untrained L42 Cobalion.

For anybody who's curious how it went:
Spoiler: open/close
Marshal: Sigilyph killed them all. Throh died to Psychic, Sawk got knocked to 1HP because of Sturdy and missed its Stone Edge. Marshal used a couple of Full Restores as I kept on knocking it back to 1HP before letting me knock it out. Conkeldurr died in one hit. For some reason I thought Mienshao was Fighting/Psychic so I tried to use Air Slash. It missed, used Rock Slide for half my HP, then was one-shotted by Air Slash.

Caitlin: Galvantula killed Reuniclus and Gothitelle in one hit with Bug Buzz, Sigilyph wit Electro Ball and Mushurna took a couple of hits from Bug Buzz but died fairly easily.

Shauntal: Sigilyph knocked out Cofagrigus in two hits with Shadow Ball and got burnt for its troubles. Jellicent managed to survive a Electro Ball from Galvantula and used Surf. Shauntal used a Full Restore as I killed it with Thunderbolt. Samurott knocked out Chandelure and Golurk with Surf.

Grimsley: Braviary knocked out Scrafty with Aerial Ace, then took a fairly bad hit from Krookadile's Foul Play, but survived and killed it with Superpower. Sawsbuck used Jump Kick on Liepard, then Braviary came back in to Superpower Bisharp.

Zekrom was an easy catch. Paralyzed it with Galvantula, wore it down and then chucked a Heal Ball just to see what would happen. It broke out immediately so I decided I couldn't be bothered messing around with different balls. Second Ultra Ball I chucked got a critical capture and snagged it. I switched out Cobalion for it.

N: My first (boosted) Fusion Bolt got a critical hit and took of 3/4 of Reshiram's HP. It then Hyper Beamed me into the yellow and I killed during its recharge turn. N brings out Vaniluxe and I switch in Sawsbuck. Jump Kick knocks it into the red as it uses Hail. I think N heals here as I Jump Kick again. I then kill it with Double Kick. He brings out Klinklang. I Jump Kick, one-shot it and it turns into Zoroark. The real Klinklang comes out and I kill it with Jump Kick and Double Kick. Archeops is mown down by Galvantula and I then have a complete mind blank as to what the hell Carracosta is. I think its the Bug/Steel and brings in Samurott. It turns out to be the fossil turtle so I sacrifice Zekrom to bring in Galvantual for free and KO with Electro Ball.

(I then proceed to freak out because I didn't realise you're not allowed to save before Ghetsis.)

Ghetsis: Zekrom vs Cofagrigus. None of my moves are doing much damage and he's spamming Protect after using Toxic the first turn. Zekrom died when the coffin is in the red. I bring Sigilyph in and use Shadow Ball as he heals. I kill him next turn. He brings in Bouffalant. I Jump Kick with Sawsbuck and do 3/4, survive a Head Charge and kill it with Double Kick. Out comes that damned Hydreigon. He outspeeds Braviary and knocks half my health off with Dragon Pulse. I Superpower and one-shot it! Eelektross is KO'd by a critical hit Bug Buzz from Galvantual, Bisharp by a Superpower from Braviary and Seismitoad by Horn Leech from Sawsbuck.
I really, really love this game. I honestly think this may have been the most fun I've ever had playing one of these games (and I've been around since Blue). Going to start going through post-E4 stuff later tonight.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

@ Goldenchaos- I tried to connect to the GTS after I read your post the other day and I never got anything. Do you know if it was just a limited time offer?

Fought the 4th gym master today. Incidentally, fuck hyper potions. >_<

And, of course, I also fought
Spoiler: open/close
N, which proved to be a much tougher battle than it should have been because I was caught completely off-guard by it. He got me down to one pokemon (out of 6!) and he erased all lingering reservations in my mind about having Victini on my team. :P
I'm all but ready to face the 5th gym and this is my current team:

Americone the Vanillite (f/rash/lv.25) [keeping]
Archaic the Deerling (m/quirky/lv.27) [keeping]
Blurb the Palpitoad (m/docile/lv.28) [keeping]
Clover the Victini (-/hasty/lv.24) [duh]
Jet the Scraggy (m/hasty/lv.27) [keeping]
Valant the Swoobat (m/naive/lv.27) [placeholder]

Still need a Joltik to round out my team (and a Litwick for battles where I can't use my Vicitni), but I have almost everyone I wanted now.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I am having a hell of a time with the end boss. I need to train a bit more I guess, but mine are all around level 50 with Zekrom being 53. It is so slow training when there aren't any more trainers to battle, even with a lucky egg attached.

Team is as follows, though it hasn't really changed a whole lot.

Zekrom lvl 53
Victini lvl 45
Serperior lvl 50
Excadrill lvl 50
Archeops lvl 49
Darmanitan lvl 50
I also have the really really awesome looking Beartic which I used to replace the stupid dress wearing water monkey.

Wish you could go back and challenge old fighters again. Guess I'll just wander the caves some more tomorrow and hopefully I won't have to beef up too much more. *Fingers crossed*
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Re: post-game training. I'm pretty sure you can beat the trainers in the stadiums in... Nimbasa City(? 4th gym leader one) daily, and their levels are pretty high. Other than that, I think you're going to be pummelling Audino's in the Giant Chasm (heehee) and beating the E4 all the way to level 100.
Subeta: Thomas
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I'm way behind the rest of you (boo work) but geez, I'm really baffled at there not being ANY way to challenge old trainers in this game! That seems like a really silly and slightly stupid thing to 'change' in this game. Sure, I fight the Elite 4 a lot in DPP too, but I also have other trainers I battle when I want to quickly level someone up (the two ace trainers at the edge of the grass in the resort town are PERFECT for quick levels and quick money). The idea of having to constantly grind through the Elite 4 sounds really unappealing.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Haha, I wondered into the sports stadium in that city, and ended up in a battle with some dude and his two level 67 pokemon. Mine were level 50. Was not prepared XD (But my Excadrill saved the day because he is awesome) I didn't investigate more than that because I was scared of dying but I think they're repeat battles? Or they play on certain days at least.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

I just caught my first BW shiny! While running around in Chargestone Cave, I entered a battle and looked down just as the sparkles rang out over a blue-spiked Ferroseed. Little miffed that I missed seeing it properly appear but I'm not going to complain. Unsure if I'm going to evolve him, there's no consistency in their shiny colours:

ImageImage

In other news, Kyurem is a bastard to catch. ._. Maybe my shiny is compensation for the stupid amount of healing items I went through.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Today is the day I get pokemon black! I am so excited! I have been so jealous waiting for it, BUT TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY SO I HOPE I GET SOME AWESOME SHIT.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I caught a shiny yesterday while grinding in the area outside the entrance to Victory Road (I know Audino gives better exp, but you have to actually pay attention, not so great if you're watching a movie while grinding). It was a Rufflet; I actually wasn't sure it was shiny because I totally missed the sparkly thing, heh. I looked down at my screen and thought, "Huh, that one looks weird. Maybe I'm crazy, but..." I caught it "just in case" and then confirmed it in the PC. Yay!
Image Image
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I usually rematch trainers for EVs as I find it far less tedious than trawling through the grass, so yeah, totally agree with the lack-of-rematch-annoyance sentiments.

Very jealous of your shinies! I haven't found one since Gen II - a very lovely Tentacruel that is, sadly, lost forever.
Subeta: Thomas