japanese translation?

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

japanese translation?

Post by Jazzy »

I assume it's Japanese...it might be Korean or Chinese, but I recognise "kirei".

In a game I'm playing, Broken Sword 2, the main character goes up to two girls who giggle, say "anata wa kirei te des ne" and giggle again, at which point he says he won't talk to them anymore- if he wants to be laughed at, there's always his girlfriend. What, if anything, does it mean?
PharaonicQuiche

Post by PharaonicQuiche »

I think "Anata wa kirei des/u" is Japanese for "You are beautiful/pretty" and then with the "ne" on there, something like "You are beautiful, eh?" Teasing him about his masculinity maybe?
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

"Anata wa kirei desu ne" does indeed mean 'you are pretty' (its desu, the u is silent). The ne is kind of like saying 'eh', or like... "You are pretty, you know?"

If its two girls saying it, then yes, I'd definetly say they're teasing him xD Basically teasing him for being a pretty boy, since kirei isn't used on boys very often, as far as I know. It's more of a girly term, or even for objects.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, he's the sort of guy who never appears particularly macho :) Thanks! I should have guessed the "ne" part because I've compared it to the german "ne" myself before.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

jessibean wrote:"Anata wa kirei desu ne" does indeed mean 'you are pretty' (its desu, the u is silent). The ne is kind of like saying 'eh', or like... "You are pretty, you know?"

If its two girls saying it, then yes, I'd definetly say they're teasing him xD Basically teasing him for being a pretty boy, since kirei isn't used on boys very often, as far as I know. It's more of a girly term, or even for objects.
Yeah, O-to-ko-ma-e is "handsome" and is probably used a lot more for males. xD
Fullmetal Dragon
Human Avatar: 156401

Post by Fullmetal Dragon »

Girls like that though, would be more likely to use 'suteki' to describe handsome than 'otokomae'. Otokomae means more like... the way a man should be. XD Suteki is more like ... 'cool' or 'handsome' in the way teenage girls would usually use it.
<3
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Fullmetal Dragon wrote:Girls like that though, would be more likely to use 'suteki' to describe handsome than 'otokomae'. Otokomae means more like... the way a man should be. XD Suteki is more like ... 'cool' or 'handsome' in the way teenage girls would usually use it.
Heh, never heard of that one. Hopefully, I learn a lot more in the next 3 years of Japanese class I'm taking. :P
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Silverevilchao wrote:Heh, never heard of that one. Hopefully, I learn a lot more in the next 3 years of Japanese class I'm taking. :P
FMD Is being very modest e_e She speaks near-fluent Japanese and has been taking classes in it since high school. It's also her major in college >> She's going to be a translator. So if you ever need Japanese help, just ask her xD; I do all the time.

I only took Japanese for two years in college, and the second year I had to leave halfway through the semester due to a lot of issues, so my Japanese is basic and rusty at best.
Fullmetal Dragon wrote:Suteki is more like ... 'cool' or 'handsome' in the way teenage girls would usually use it.
Or teenage boys? Tee. Sorry. Couldn't resist. *ducks*