Nintendo DS. Is it worth buying?

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

Anna the Red wrote: Is Sonic Rush really crap? Damn. I was so excited about a new game. I do so love Knuckles and Tails. I had a crush on Knuckles after I started reading the comics.
While I haven't played it, I heard that Sonic Rush is really fun if you enjoyed the Sonic Advance games, and the old 2D games on the Genesis (which, in my opinion, were tons better than the 3D ones).
DS has a ton of great games. There's good solid "regular" games, like New Mario Bros, Sonic, Castlevania, Kirby, and the like... But my favorite thing about the DS is the more quirkier games. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Elite Beat Agents are games that everyone who has a DS simply must try at least once.
Last edited by Anubimon on 28 Jan 2007 08:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The balls of evil are never safe from the steel-toed boot of JUSTICE!!!
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

Keith wrote: Final Fantasy III is actaully really good. The plotline isn't good, but there wasn't much they could do with that, since they just ported it from GBA. But the job system was revolutionary at that point, and is still fun to play.

There are lots of good games, really. :D (I love my DS)
Actually, teeny tiny nitpick *is a final fantasy fanboy*, FF III was actually a NES game, and it's plot was /much/ more simplistic than what you see on the DS. They actually revamped it, added a ton to it in order to prepare for the DS. I <3 the job system, it's one of my favorite aspects of FF games, which is why I love the Tactics family (includingomgthey'reportingittoPSPyays!)

Games that I'd whole heartedly Recommend for the DS:

FF III (See Above)

New Super Mario Brothers:
This game is beyond fantastic, esp. if you love the older, NES Mario games. The new wall kicks and tiny Mario give it a lot to play around with, and KoopaMario is officially my second favorite costume Evar (Nothing will replace Frog Mario).

Super Princess Peach:
Incredibly cute and fun, and Peach is just love x10.

Animal Crossing DS:
It's a great version of AC, and the hats (the bunny ears in particular) are much fun to play with in addition to the constellations (Esp. if you draw naughty images in them :P) and just general AC goodness.

WarioWare Touched: WarioWare games are god, and Touched is no exception. It is the one game I've found best uses the Stylus, and you can spend hours on it :D

I've been recommended Nintendogs, but I borrowed a friend's copy, and I am not impressed, really, other than the fact that they look like they'll be fun to use in SSBB.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Twisted
Location: On the run from the thought police. With a big jar of Fizzy Fish.

Post by Twisted »

My brother has a normal DS, and so does one of my friends.

Somehow I have found myself wanting a DS Lite-preferably one of the pink ones (though white will do and would probably end up with a stickered decal later). I've had a few goes on some of my brother's games. Though Ihave hinted I would like a Pink DS Lite for my birthday (hopefully with no Nintendogs. Not my cup of tea-RP's for the win!)

-Warioware is bloody addictive for the DS-great bit of fun. Though I'm gonna have to kidnap it off my brother if I get a DS.
-Castlevania's fun too which is good.

I also want to get Elite Beat Agents. Looks very fun and I want to play it though apparently some of the songs in it aren't that great. Also Contact looks fun indeed, which I probably will be asking for.

So I'd go for it personally. There are some great games coming out.
Returned for the moment...I guess.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Oops! I meant NES. Wow. haha.

The new Super Mario Brothers was really good.

Also, I suggest Super Mario 64 for the DS. It's a fun game.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I just wanted to add to this thread that I just got my Nintendo DS yesterday, and Final Fantasy III for it today, and for that reason alone its completely worth it <3
sureq

Post by sureq »

I got my DS light on the weekend, a black one with mario kart. I never owned it for the Nintendo 64, but I used to play my cousin's before they moved away.

I loved it. I was thinking of getting Nintendogs, but I could so easily see it getting boring very quickly.

I'm wondering if I can use one of those flash card thingies for roms of my old GB games. Kirby's Dream Land is my favourite, and I was crushed when I tried to put it in the GBA slot and it didn't fit :oops:

I was a little annoyed at the EB guy, I asked if it played 'old' games and he said yes. I guess he didn't think I meant old, old.
Last edited by sureq on 06 Feb 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

sureq wrote: I'm wondering if I can use one of those flash card thingies for roms of my old GB games. Kirby's Dream Land is my favourite, and I was crushed when I tried to put it in the GBA slot and it didn't fit :oops:
You can get flash card things that let you play ROMs, but they're really expensive.
However, if you do really want to play Kirby (<3 that game so much), you can probably find old GBAs or even GBCs for really cheap. I want to say Gamestop used to have the original GBA models for $20... Dunno if they still do though, they seem to have stopped selling a lot of older models of consoles and the like.
The balls of evil are never safe from the steel-toed boot of JUSTICE!!!
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

my gbc was £10 secondhand, so you might want to try going to pawn shops and the like
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

Update!

I got my first paycheck! (I get paid once a month) It was about 23000 kronur, which is quite a bit! I am pleased. ($433 Aus! Neat!)

If I buy a Nintendo DS, the Brain Training Game and Mystery Dungeon all brand new, it will cost 19019 kronur! Whoo! (I just realised that is #358 in Australian. I have NEVER spent that much money on anything!)

I couldn't find Pokemon Rangers, but I will order that once it comes on there! I am most pleased with this development!

I never buy anything expensive, so this is pretty whoo! The most expensive things I've ever bought was a pair of sixty dollar shoes for work (Which I found out I could have deucted form my taxes! Boo!) and my fedora, which cost sixty as well.

So, man, $358...whoa.

It will so be worth it though. I will see you in a month my pretty little DS!
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

Sorry about bumping up an old topic, but I didnt want to create a new one because I have a quick question about the DS Lites. If I buy one from the states would I have to buy all my games from the states as well? Or would I be able to use my american DS Lite with games bought in Europe?
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Joystiq says it's region-free, Wikipedia confirms.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

Another nifty thing I've discovered and bought for my own DS is an adapter card. I use an M3 DS Simply with a 2 gig micro SD card. The practical upshot is a pirate such as myself can download nintendo DS roms, put them on the card, and play them to my heart's content :).

(2 gig is heaps - an average game is about 32-64 MB, with the biggest games with lots of music and graphics 128 MB...)

All up the system cost me $100, which is the price of two DS games, and I'm enjoying Pokemon Ranger, Ouendan 2, Cake Mania, Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2007.... and probably will be enjoying many more.

If you're like me and poor and lacking in moral fibre, getting an M3 DS Simply and a microSD card is the way to go.
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

DamionDarkheart wrote:Joystiq says it's region-free, Wikipedia confirms.
Thank you! :)
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Homebrew with an SD card is also the way to run other programs for the DS- email programs, drawing packages, music programs, even Linux (which IMO is a bit of a waste, but you know).