Nintendo DS. Is it worth buying?

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Anna the Red

Nintendo DS. Is it worth buying?

Post by Anna the Red »

Okay, so, after spending the past hour searching for a downloadble Pokemon emerald ROM that:

Works.
doesn't install spyware on my computer.
Is in English.
Doesn't make me vote for their site in advance before I can download (I did this twice, and both times the download din't work. Bastards.)

Sorry, sorry, I should stop before I go into giant rant mode. Bloody ROM sites.

I've decided that I may stop bothering with this crap and just buy the game, and a Nintendo DS, which I am told can run Emerald, and will run Diamond or Pearl if I buy that.

Now, what I need to find out is: Is it worth it?

At the moment, the Nintendo DS retails for about 99 pounds on Amazon, and the Emerald goes for about 10.

I'm living in Iceland at the moment, where everything is ridiculously expensive, so I'm sure as hell not buying it here. So that's...14705 kronur, and about 18000 with tax. I can make that in just over 4 weeks. It's not like I'm going to be buying much - I only shop in two different places here, and I work in one of them and hence get free stuff. My boss rocks.

Sorry, I just wanted to talk about myself for a while. I don't have anyone here who will let me talk about Nintendo DS's for very long. (What's the plural of Nintendo DS anyway?)

But yeah - is this worth getting? I know Pokemon Emerald is worth getting, I am so in love with Pokemon it is not funny. But I don't want to spend a lot of what little money I have at the moment for something I will only play two games on it ever.

And if it's worth it, can you recommend any good games I should buy while I'm there?
Aoi-lan

Post by Aoi-lan »

If you still want the rom, I got my pokemon emerald from blitz-designs.co.uk. It works fine and such, but you have to register to download it.

But about the DS, I got nothing D: I do have a DS but it's mostly my brothers.. heh. Sorry >_>
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Well, if you get a DS now, you'll be able to play the legit version of Diamond or Pearl when it comes out this year and play against people online.

Owning emerald unlocks GLIGAR in them, too! I'll need to steal someone's copy...
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Yay Gligar!

Yeah, I'd say it's worth it. I loves me DS. It's pink. I tend to play all my games on it. I like it better then the SP because the screen is brighter. And it has a lot of fun non pokemon games. I've been enjoying Children of Mana.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I love my DS to pieces. Oh man. So much love. I have a ton of games for it, though. Makes it more worthwhile. Also, mine is a first-generation DS--it's not a DS Lite. I like mine as it is; it's shiny, silver, and comfy to hold. The Lite feels too small to me, now, because I'm so used to my DS. Derek and I both play our DSes heavily, they're both the old style, and we've never had any problems with them at all. I only bring that all up because they might be cheaper to buy now than a DS Lite.

If you're only going to be playing GBA games, then buy a GBA SP. If you want Diamond/Pearl/other DS games, then buy a DS.
Image Image
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

I have both a DS and a DSlite (because I'm stupid like that?) and I really urge you get one. They're are so many brilliant games, heck I'm playing it now.
Aurinona

Post by Aurinona »

Let me put it this way- my husband bought a DS Lite back in May or June... within a week, he had to order another one because I kept stealing it and we weren't sharing very well. :D

Actually, we both have ours out right now since we've bought three new games in the past week and have to try them out. (Though I just turned mine off because I've spent too long playing Rocket Slime and the puns are giving me a headache.)

It's an extremely fun little system with some nice games- I recommend a DS to most people I talk to who play video games. It's been COMPLETELY worth the money, in my opinion.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Aurinona wrote:(Though I just turned mine off because I've spent too long playing Rocket Slime and the puns are giving me a headache.)
Hah! I love all the delicious puns. I giggle endlessly to myself when I play. I'm so sad that I'm through story mode, and the cartridge only has one save slot! ;_;
Image Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I keep trying to steal Lindsey's DS too - I love love love it. I want my pink DS NOW but all the stores are out. Sigh.

Anyway, obviously, I think its worth it xD
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

I wish I knew someone who had one so I could play it for a while and see if it makes me violently ill or not. I have this problem with my eye-brain connection or something that makes me extremely prone to motion sickness. The majority of video games released these days fuck with me. There are very, very few games that I will chug gallons of gin<b></b>ger ale in order to be able to play for an hour at a time. I really WANT a DS or a Wii or something, but I also do not want to spend money on something I can't play.

Basically, I need Ty to be in California!
NyauNyau

Post by NyauNyau »

Yes. Yes it is.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are due out in a few months. You have Yoshis Island DS(If you liked the original SNES one, this one too!) Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart (WIFI RACING..but people cheat, but you always can do friends)..and various other titles, BrainAge..the Phoenix Wright games..the list goes on.

So yes, it is worth it!
Nothing To See Here
Aurinona

Post by Aurinona »

Figgy- Do you have any stores in your area that may have a sample DS out for you to try? I know I fiddled with the DS Mario game at a Target one day. It's not as good as playing a variety of games on a friend's system, but it might give you at least SOME idea.

(And just a tip- if you do ever decide to get a Wii - DO NOT buy super monkey ball banana blitz. I'm not even prone to motion sickness, and it makes me feel kind of ill! )
Madge

Post by Madge »

Trust me, Anna, all the dudes at uni are completely obsessed with DSes. Otter carries his everywhere with him, and is always boasting that he bought his in Japan on or around the release date, so he got one of the very first. Seb is considering buying one on its own, without games, simply so he can play multiplayer games because you don't need two cartridges for many of them.

I'm hoping to get one for my birthday, though if my parents are actually going to split with me for a newer car, I'll have to hint to my friends to try and do a collection for it :P.

Seriously, they look awesome, and because of the touch screen you can't have emulators for them really.

Here you can get a DS Lite (get one of them) from EB games for AU$188 with nintendogs, IIRC. If it would work out cheaper even including postage and insurance I'd gladly post it to you so long as you gave me the money :P. If I posted it on sea mail you'd get it in, what, two to three months? XD

I have an emerald ROM, I could e-mail it to you or send it to you over MSN if you wanted, though I'm not going to be online tonight because it's my brother's birthday so I'm going to hang out with Peter.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Usually, the sample DS has some crappy or uninteresting game. Big Brain Academy, um.. Elite Beat Agents.. every once in a while, if you get lucky, Mario; but then the unit is usually so grubby and damaged that the screen's lost its sensitivity and just brushing by it makes you want to take a long shower. I may have something against store displays. *laughs*

A better store display would be something like EB/Gamestop--they generally have better-cared-for DSes. But it's also kind of fruitless if they don't have a display of the game you want. =\

(figgy figgy I'll visit you someday and you can try all my games and, um, we can make toast)
Image Image
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

I would have to test it out for a half hr or so -- my motion sickness does not always come in immediately (though it will set in within minutes if the game is poor-quality 3d without a fixed camera), but I always know within a half hour if it'll work out or not. And it varies from game to game... I suppose there are stores in the bay area that would allow me to mess around, but I'm not sure if any would let me play for as long as I need.

Ty -- Make toast, play video games, cuddle rats!