Pokemon D/P/Pt discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Re: Pokemon D/P/Pt discussion

Post by TCStarwind »

I totally wasn't going to get this game (the last pokemon game I beat was probably silver), but then we went to Target and I broke down. I also got a phonebook-sized game guide. Now I'm another $60 in debt (I really need to get rid of my credit card). :<

Anyone have an extra Shaymin or Regigigas?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Eeeee we're doing a bit better financially than I knew, I guess, because I was allowed (by my husband) to get a game (I guess I'm a stereotypical woman; I don't really manage our finances). So I got Platinum! =D =D =D ...I don't have a team prepared at all, really. I do have an adamant Beldum, still level 1, and I could go through the game with it and then re-do the EVs at the end. Not sure what to do otherwise.

I have a question, though. There are two DSes in this household. I would rather play Platinum on mine, but that's also the DS I use for Diamond. I believe the games retain trainer IDs based on the physical machine you use, right? But could I, say, start the game on Derek's, play on mine, and only use Derek's machine to do trades?
Image Image
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Yep! I'm pretty sure you can do that. :)
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Out of curiosity, then, cause that'd be good for me... does it affect digging underground? I love digging a stupid amount.
Image Image
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Underground and upstairs in the pokecenter only affects local wireless, so it shouldn't have anything to do with your FC. In theory. I haven't tested that yet, though I have two DSes. I should do that soon.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I'm up to Pastoria Gym (already) and have all my team but TogepiTogetic (Who is level 28) at least level 30, which is good. :)

...stupid Budew who didn't want to evolve. Pfft. Togepi is next, though, shouldn't be long for him as well.
Last edited by Iggy on 23 Mar 2009 04:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I've been EV training on Diamond for so long now that it feels painful to kill every single random pokemon I come across. *whimpers* I don't want to kill bidoof! Starly, okay, phew, speed. Aaaaagh not a kricketot...
Image Image
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Well, after poking around walkthroughs, I finally discovered than I could get rid of flamingmonkeybutt to replace with a Camerupt after I beat the Elite 4.

Which satisfy me enough. I decided to not transfer a Numel egg to Platinum, because I wanted another fire type...but, damn. Will get a Numel/Camerupt anyways

(I'm at Candice. I beat her, but my DS lack batteries and died on me. So, I'll have to redo her again. And try to hatch my Riolu egg. At least, it was not Maylene, which I beat through sheer luck. (Staravia + Quick Claw activating and a Critical Hit at once against her damn Lucario with...3 HP left? It was my last poke!)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Iggy, you can get a Camerupt egg now, without waiting until after the Elite 4. If you have Diamond/Pearl, you can trade yourself any generation Pokemon from those games.

Also, someone can wi-fi trade you those. You don't actually have to have the National Dex to get non-Sinnoh Pokemon.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Jessibb, I decided against doing that. I thought about it, especially since it was either Ponyta, Houndour or Flamemonkey. All the work on my Platinum will be done on Platinum. This is also why I didn't trade a second Shiny Stone, to evolve Togetic. :) (I needed Roserade earlier! I already had a normal/flying in Staraptor!)

It's getting me into using things I'm never using.

I know I could have, though, but thanks so much for advice. ilu. <3
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Agh, I wanted to check out the cheater's guide (that one that's the size of a phone book) to peek and see if it's something I want to get into, but the book is sealed. It seems a bit comlpex, enough that I'd really get lost and overwhelmed by it. So, since I'm awful about not going REALLY far into games like these (though I know there's not really such a thing as "finished" in Pokémon) I wonder if it'll be worth it for me.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

No, use gamefaqs instead. Save money, get better walkthroughs/lists/etc. Supplement with serebii.net and veekun.com (I love veekun). The only drawback is that you need a computer, you can't travel as easily as just taking a book with you. But I think the benefits are much more worthwhile. Veekun especially has a great search function, and sometimes links to bulbapedia and other sites. Gamefaqs itself is brilliant for "ummm, there's a Galactic grunt standing where I need to go so what do I do nowwww?"
Image Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Fjorab, if it helps at all, Lindsey and I bought the D/P walkthrough when we bought our games, and it is an awful piece of crap. Our R/S guide is actually USEFUL but this one doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the game. The only thing we use it for now is figuring out what we should put on our Pokemon for contests. Other than that, it gathers dust.

We bought the giant Pokedex too, which is still kind of lame, but it's useful for long car trips or if we're in the living room and don't want to dig out my laptop. Still, i wouldn't actually -recommend- it.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I caught Giratina.

With a Quick Ball.

At full health.

Especially since I was NOT trying to catch Giratina, I was healing my Riolu. But, clicked too fast on the quick ball (Which were the only ones I had left)

And the Distortion World is the most agravating thing EVER
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Hahaha, Iggy, that's pretty awesome! I'll have to try that trick. It would be really amusing to repeat.

I'm leery of distortion world right now. With my lingering vertigo/dizziness... am I going to get there and then keel over in real life? =P
Image Image