Super Smash Brothers Brawl Website!

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Ierosbats

Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl Website!

Post by Ierosbats »

(Spoilers ahoy in this post, although now that the game's out I think spoilers are fair game and you should be careful reading this thread if you want to remain surprised.)

I agree with Ty, it's almost baffling how completely useless Lucas is. It's like they took the worst of Ness' moveset and made the attacks even MORE difficult to execute and control and then decided that Lucas still wasn't irritating enough so they raised his voice a couple notches and decided he should cry as much as possible and made him dumb enough to trip over and get stuck under the only protruding root coming out of otherwise barren ground. Bitter? Me? At least they stuck him with the Pokemon Trainer in the SSE whose story is equally frustrating. In which of the Pokemon worlds can you wander into some ruins and throw a Pokeball at a trophy and capture an Ivysaur and have it instantly obey you? Obviously I've been mislead.

I really shouldn't be complaining, though. The game is absolutely amazing. Like a lot of the reviews are saying, I wouldn't call it a 10 but I don't do part marks and 9 just isn't high enough. A part of me wishes I hadn't been following the Dojo/online spoilers so closely because nothing has really come as a surprise, but at the same time had I not known what was coming I think I would have been overwhelmed and not been able to appreciate everything as much.

A few thoughts after playing for about 14 hours yesterday both solo and as a group ranging from 3 to 8 people:
-definitely sticking with the GC controller. I don't mind the nunchuk setup, it works, but I don't love it enough to switch over. The wiimote by itself is a little too awkward for me.
-the Rotation mode is a great idea. I like not having to think.
-Rumble Falls goes beyond the point of being fun, like the Ice Climbers' Melee stage was, and is instead just difficult and often frustrating. Personally, I think it scrolls a little too fast and has too many platforms you can't jump through. I like when stages are interactive, but there's a difference between that and being so difficult and distracting that you can't even fight on it.
-the music in this game is absolutely amazing and being able to pick and choose the frequency of each song is so cool. None of the songs are bad, but there are definitely some that are a little weird to fight to that I wouldn't mind encountering a little less often. *coughweirdmona'spizzasongwtfcough*
-All of the returning characters have stayed mostly the same except for Pikachu, who I feel is stronger this game and actually really like to play as now, and Peach, who I think they made harder to control and won't be using nearly as much as I did in Melee.
-the Final Smashes win at everything ever. Especially Link's. And Pikachu's. Not so much Donkey Kong's.
-with a few exceptions, they really outdid themselves with alternate costumes this game. Toon Link's are adorable! You can have a Four Swords battle! They also gave quite a few characters Dark versions, which is neat. I like Pit's.
-speaking of Pit, he's by far my favourite newcomer, closely followed by Wario and Snake. As for the duds, I'm not big on Sonic, Olimar, Lucas or Diddy. Granted, I probably need to give it a little more time and really learn to use them properly, but so far I haven't had much luck with those four. I do prefer Diddy to Donkey Kong, but that's not saying much.
-the Coin Launcher/new trophy system is fantastic but I'm not big on the sticker system. Again, I probably just need to experiment with it more.
-one of the benefits to playing with the wiimote is when you select a character to fight with, a little phrase or noise of theirs plays on the wiimote speaker. It's cute.
-multiple taunts! Fun.
-ZSS has some crazy... anatomy issues, shall we say, going on. Also, she sounds like a man (but then again, her voice is more realistic than Peach's and Zelda's. Good lord.)

There's a lot more I'd love to discuss as more people starting getting into the game (or getting the game period! I'm so, so sorry, Europe! I would die.) but I haven't been playing for a few hours and I'm going through Brawl-withdrawal. It isn't pretty. I need to unlock more things!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

Seriously? I think Lucas is loads better than Ness. I thought it was pointless to have Ness since Lucas is so completely better.
I found SSE hideous. Once the "Oh sweet!" factor wore off, it was tedious. And then we got to the Great Maze level and it was just downright retarded.
I'm really glad Kirby was buffed. He's so much more awesome now. ROB is amazing. Pit is pretty sweet too.
Final Smashes are fairly fun, but the best new item is definitely the Smart Bomb from Starfox. So amazing.
The balls of evil are never safe from the steel-toed boot of JUSTICE!!!
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Anubimon wrote:I found SSE hideous. Once the "Oh sweet!" factor wore off, it was tedious. And then we got to the Great Maze level and it was just downright retarded.
OMG YES, IAWTC.

If maybe it was half or even a quarter long as it is now, I'd be more inclined to say that it wasn't eye-gougingly annoying as it is now. Even on "Easy," it makes me want to chuck my Wii out the window.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I rented it this weekend...and I like it

Considering how much I dislike Fox, I'm sad they decided to make yet-another Fox Clone. However, I actually *like* Wolf. :)
And, when I brawl, CDs seem to pop up once I'm done. Not cool :(

Link's final smash is currently my fav. It's fun :) Like Shmoe, I'm not big on Donkey Kong. But, perhaps it's my hatred towards the Donkey Konga series that judge that. :)

Events match seem slightly more fun, considering the fact you can actually choose the difficulty this time around.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I got it yesterday and played for 7 and a half hours straight. I'm in the Great Maze, and THANK GOD FOR THE MAP OMG. I'd be so pissed if it didn't have a map.

So far I really like playing as Pit. I haven't used Pikachu as much as I thought I would. Really I like everyone but Mario, Bowser, DK, and Samus, because they're all so heavy. I can feel their weight when I jump, and I don't like that.
derp
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Mayhem wrote:
Anubimon wrote:I found SSE hideous. Once the "Oh sweet!" factor wore off, it was tedious. And then we got to the Great Maze level and it was just downright retarded.
OMG YES, IAWTC.

If maybe it was half or even a quarter long as it is now, I'd be more inclined to say that it wasn't eye-gougingly annoying as it is now. Even on "Easy," it makes me want to chuck my Wii out the window.
I looooove the SSE. It's clever and fun and a really cute way to add a single player game to Brawl. Plus it's great for unlocking characters!
Image Image
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Yeah, I love SSE too. The Great Maze was actually my favorite part - it reminded me a lot of some of the Kirby games, especially Amazing Mirror and the treasure hunting part of Super Star. Not surprising, though, since SSB is made by the same people who do the Kirby games...

And awww c'mon, Lucas is my favorite new character by far. :( I find him a bit easier to use than Ness in some aspects. Then again, I'm such a huge fangirl of the Mother series that they could've had him damage himself with every attack and have his Final Smash instantly kill him and he'd still be one of my favorite characters. XD (god I HATE New Pork City, though. Cool looking level, nice music, but it's too freaking big. It takes FOREVER to kill anybody there because no matter how far you hit them it seems like it's not far enough. ARGH)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Lucas (and Ness) would be fine if he didn't shout "PK FIRE! PK IDIOCY! PK LOOK HOW LOUD I AM!" all the damn time.
Image Image
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Olimar sucks far, far, far more than Lucas, though.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Lucas and Ness aren't any worse then "AMAZING JOB CHARIZARD!" "GO SQUIRTLE!" "COME BACK IVYSAUR!" It's like kirby's old taunt, find a big map and hide from everyone and just ANNOY them to death :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I don't know, I don't actually hear the pokemon trainer much. Squirtle is a wee bit annoying ("Squirtle squirt! Squirtle! Squirtle squirt!"), but the trainer... I guess I don't switch pokemon very often when I use him?
Image Image
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I'm so happy with smash bros brawl! It's what I came to expect and more! I went out the day it came out and bought it. Then played it for a few hours each night this week. It's very much addicting and I can't wait to get the HD cord for my WII so I can get the HD prettyness on my tv. I also love the fact they let you use the gamecube controller. So much easier to fight and move around with that.

I loved the SSE and enjoyed the little plot line. I also love how they don't talk and use motions and stuff to show what they want. And such an easy way to unlock charaters. I beat it on easy and probally wait a bit before I try beating it on normal (I'm not so savy when it comes to games like this ^_^"). Now to work on classic and all star mode, weee!

I'm so happy to have my Marth back, he's one of my best players along with Zelda/Sheik (mostly use sheik though), Samus, Link and Pikachu. I'm quiet good with Kirby and Ice Climbers as well. For the new charaters, I've become quiet good with Pit and Meta Knight. I also like Lucario, Wolf and Snake. I love the pokemon trainer as well but I can't stand squirtle. He's weak, hard to move around and I just never liked him. So I'm usally ivysaur or charizard. It was so annoying in the SSE haveing to play squirtle most of the time, blah.
I accually like Lucas a lot more then Ness and also find him more easy to fight with then Ness (though both of their shouting attacks get annoying). I also don't mind olimar and find him fun to play. I'm easlly amused by throwing off the pitman (guessing that's what they are called, don't know much about the game) off the arena and pull up more to sacrafice, hehehe.

Now I just have to get around to inviteing friends over and getting them to fight with me. My wife doesn't like fighting games so there is no way she'll do it.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

Ah, such a refreshing game! I don't see why you guys don't like the Subspace Emissary. I found it thoroughly enjoyable Then again, I loved the fact that I was right and King Dedede was a good guy. Without him, we would all be doomed. Or at least, Mr. Blue Deus Ex Machina would be the one fighting the end boss.
Also, did you tune in Saturday night to Smashville? You get to hear K.K. sing songs you don't have, like K.K. Gumbo, K.K. Rock, and K.K. Aria!
Oh, the music is godly. Seriously, I got the Kid Icarus Title Theme CD, and just sat there for about three repetitions just listening to it. Then I made a stage with it. Oh, and then there's the remix of Marx's Theme... From Kirby Super Star. It's epic enough to make you cry. Then again, that just might be nostalgia.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
Kari

Post by Kari »

I've just about exhausted the game in stuff I can do. I've gotten all the stages, there's not much left for me to grab in SSE (and I don't even know what I'm missing in some parts), and I've only got Wolf left to unlock. He's been kicking my ass for about the last two hours.
derp
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I got Wolf rather easily, because I got one or two smart bombs early.

I cleared All-Star without continues for the first time yesterday, at my second try (Would have been first, but I got the crappy Nintendog assist trophy, and I killed myself.)