Cabal Online

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Cabal Online

Post by AngharadTy »

Sooo, once upon a time, I got addicted to a Japanese game that I had to apply a hack to in order to play, and nothing made any sense, but it was massive fun, and then the Japanese banned all North American IPs. And I was sad. And then, much later, OGPlanet picked it up and released an open beta just for me! Um, and a slew of other morons. *coughs*

Cabal is a semi-generic fantasy game; basic system is a lot like WoW, world is a lot like Final Fantasy; there are 6 classes and all of them are fun. My main is a blader (two-sword-wielding melee fighter) and my secondary is a force blader (one sword, lots of ranged magic too). Derek is a force archer and I'm jealous because he does more damage than me.

I'm tired of being surrounded by idiots in there, so I'd like to attract some of you... and I'm probably not being very convincing, am I? ^_~ I turned off the global chat lines and it got a lot better. (The only problem I have with the game is that the monster-assigning system makes it really easy to kill-steal: the person who gets the last blow gets the credit. Bullshit, right? But it's actually not terribly common.)

Here is the main site for the NAM version. There's already an EU version somewhere, I dunno much about it. I play on the Venus server.

Here is my character, Chaostrophy. Here is an attempt at an action shot which ended up revealing too much of my character's personal area. ^_~ (Hah, helps if I remember to paste the links. The second image is 800px wide, by the way. Oh, and observe the well-timed things my guildmates were saying.)

It's free, it's pretty (screenshots don't do it justice--the moves are all really lovely; you should see the swirly things I can do with my katanas), and... I play.... And I had some free time so I figured I'd ramble. =D
Image Image
Monkeyguy

Re: Cabal Online

Post by Monkeyguy »

Aw I'd like to play, but looking at the screen shots I can say that my computer would die before it let me play. However, it is going on my list of things to do after I buy my new computer.
Image Image Image
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I do have all the options turned way up so it looks the best. I used to run (the Japanese version of) Cabal on my old, much-crappier computer (it had problems running WoW) with medium settings and it was just fine. There's load lag on lower-quality computers, but once the world has loaded, lag is very seldom present at all.
Image Image
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Most important of all: is it free? If so, does it have a nonsense "cash shop"?
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I downloaded it and played a bit, and it is indeed very pretty. But I got a little frustrated after being killed twice while hunting rabbit-things, so I'll try again tomorrow. I'm fairly clumsy at this sort of thing... and since I'm not familiar with WoW, that doesn't help me any. My character is Nelennath.

Mayhem: she said it was free in the first post, though down at the bottom ;) And I saw something that looked like a cash shop, but I have no idea what sort of stuff is in there - didn't bother checking.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

There's no pay system yet--it's still technically in beta, though they have no plans to wipe anyone (unless things go horribly, horribly wrong). I think they'll probably have some sort of "premium" level if you pay, and perhaps a cash shop too. Nuffin' yet, though. And it'll always be totally free if you don't want to pay for stuff.

Re.: getting killed--depends partly what class you are. You want to attack things that have yellow names. Some monsters are aggro; they attack you on sight. If you're fighting rabbit things, watch out for the scorlux or... scorplex... or however it's spelled... hehe, sorry, haven't fought those in a while. ^_^; But anyway, they're aggro, and they hit pretty hard when they're orange to you. Town is always a safe zone (and you'll regen in town), and when you have a bit of money (800), you can buy the skill regenerate from the instructor. It's not an insta-heal like potions are, but it heals a bit over time, and is nice just to keep up. Also, I buy massive amounts of potions. Mostly mana potions. Right now I have 1 line of health potions and 4 lines of mana potions, but my skills cost a lot to use right now (like 35-40 mp each cast) and I only have 85 max mp. I spent a lot of my skill points raising just a few skills, so they hit really hard but I waste a lot of money using 'em. Not everyone plays like me. Hee. I don't really care; I have 2 million (and I'm poor for my level!).

Sorry for the ramble--I just got done playing for hours (got level 48, woo!) and am very tired and about to collapse. That makes me want to talk a lot, apparently.
Image Image
PennyLane

Post by PennyLane »

Cabal! I played the Brazilian version for a week or so last summer with some friends from Maple Story. We had to use a language patch to play it though and didn't realize it was only a 10 day or so free trial =-/ It was so much fun, I loved the "dance" command. It was nice leveling up doing nothing but quests. My friends who I played with last summer have started playing this version but I haven't downloaded it yet since I was training to 120 on Maple with a double exp card. I may have to get it now though...
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Hee, funny you should mention dancing; I was bored last night and tried to get some screenshots of my character dancing with her katana out. It looks really deadly and dangerous! ;P I like this shot, though.
Image Image
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Progress update: I am now level 10. Yay! Thanks for the advice on Regenerate, it really helps and I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise :P Incidentally, I'm a force archer. Forgot to mention that before.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Yay! I'll check for you the next time I'm able to go on. Which might be pretty late tonight, so... I'll also check for you the next next time I'm able to go on. ^_~
Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

I signed up because I'm a sucker like that, but when I played none of the backgrounds loaded, so I was running around a dark space with rain.

I think it's Vista.
derp
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Well, Derek plays on Vista, so it's probably not entirely that. ^_~ Have you updated your drivers recently?

I'm gonna be in Cabal for a good part of today.
Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

Aha, my DirectX thingy wasn't updated, I guess. Or maybe I didn't have it. Anyway, graphics are all nice and not-black now! Thanks.
derp
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

*yawn*
Well, seems interesting, so I decided to get it. About eight hours after I started, it's downloaded. I created Nanabobo the Force Blader (who looks reminiscent of Sephiroth, surprisingly) and set out. I was just killed by a rabbit of Caerbannog, realized what time it was, and deemed that, though pretty, the rest of my quest shall wait until tomorrow. Thanks for showing me the new, interesting game. Good night.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
Kari

Post by Kari »

Forgot to say last post that my character is Arcelia on the Venus server. I'm a little level 7 force archer. Still have a few graphics problems, mainly when I try to play in windowed mode, so I'll go fullscreen from now on.

EDIT: Also forgot my question: Some enemy I pwned dropped a Chaos Lamp. You can right click on it to "rub it"...so what does rubbing it do? I'm tempted to just sell it to the NPC shop for 250k.
derp