Second Life

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Monkeyguy

Second Life

Post by Monkeyguy »

Anyone here play Second Life? I was planning on upgrading my RAM at some point, but is SL worth doing it sooner? With only 512MB it's no fun to even try playing right now. From what I've seen the potential for things to do there is almost limitless.
Image Image Image
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Second Life

Post by AngharadTy »

I tried it and hated it. And then I saw it on CSI: NY and hated it even more. But I don't think I have the right kind of personality for it. I hate MUSHes, too, and they seem like a similar concept.

Still, I think CSI: NY is pretty solid evidence. ^_~
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Second Life is bizarre. Only a short while ago I had never heard of it, and after I did, it's showing up everywhere. I get a SL screenshot in 80% of my google image searches, no matter what.

Yeah, I tried it for about 3 minutes and said "whatever". It's mostly social, and it seems like too much work and know-how to create anything worthwhile. There's a lot of real dollars involved in getting into the game, so I'd just avoid it. Maybe the Sims would be a better alternative, I dunno.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I have enough trouble keeping up with my First Life.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Ditto. Oh wait. I can't just say ditto. Um...I played it for all of 10 minutes and found it to be eerily reminiscent of Cybertown. Only Cybertown was free at the time I started playing, which was about a week after I got my first home computer. I did it once, and I made tons of friends, but I'm not interested in game where the only purpose is to socialize and network for a fee.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I recently read an interesting article that said Second Life was growing popular in universities because students can attend conferences and speeches given by people in the scientific community easily.

It made me want to try it at least, but mostly because I need a new addiction as my pet site attractions are waning.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

The only reason I was interested was more in line with what Tiel mentioned. I saw an episode of True Life on MTV that mentioned a girl who did concerts, which I thought was pretty neat.

I agree with most of you on the social aspect though. I have my RL friends and online I have you guys. I think that's enough lol.
Image Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

thelonetiel wrote:I recently read an interesting article that said Second Life was growing popular in universities because students can attend conferences and speeches given by people in the scientific community easily.

It made me want to try it at least, but mostly because I need a new addiction as my pet site attractions are waning.
Interesting. I've never heard of this so it can't be all THAT big yet, but still. Going to virtual talks sounds really neat.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like it has some interesting potential for psychology experiments -- set up a virtual lab, have people participate in the virtual experiment, pay them in virtual money or real money or whatever. I'll file that one away to think about this fall, when I'LL be the PI (Principal Investigator) and can do whatever I want. (:insert manical laughter here:)

Of course, now I'm imagining writing a grant application saying I want to use taxplayer dollars to play computer games.