Spore!!

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Miguel

Re: Spore!!

Post by Miguel »

Madge - I've no idea why it's asking for that, nor of any specific way to stop it asking. My generic advice, which will hopefully work... (and I really hope you're not on dial up):
- install the latest drivers for your OS/video card from www.nvidia.com
- install all the updates for your computer from windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- if you're on XP, get the latest directx (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en).

Then you might need to reinstall the game too, if it doesn't pick up that you've done all of that.
If that lot doesn't work, um ... try EA for support, and good luck to you if you do.
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
Sparrow
Human Avatar: 158026

Post by Sparrow »

So I had tried to download Spore on my oldish laptop several weeks ago, and not surprisingly, the graphics card wasn't good enough. No problem, I said, the home computer will have a sufficient graphics card! Except, no, it doesn't. I was extremely disappointed thinking that I had no way to play the game until I got my personal computer out of storage at the end of the summer, but then I remembered that we had another, more powerful laptop that no one in the family seems to use. Bingo, Spore runs great! I am very impressed with this game and I love it; I'm definitely buying the full version. Here's the two critters I made so far with the free trial:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/ ... dc_ful.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/ ... c8_ful.png

Sorta large images, but beautiful quality. I'm so glad I finally got a chance to play it. :D
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Yeah, yeah, old topic, I know, but it needed to be bumped, because...

DID ANYONE ELSE GET IT??? :D :D :D

I'm only up to the Tribal stage, but I'm loving it so far. Fortunately all the editors are available right from the start, so you can go ahead and start making stuff before you even start playing (the full game lets you make vehicles, buildings, armor, clothes, etc. as well as creatures). I'm a carnivore this playthrough, I'll go through with a herbivore next time and see how different everything ends up being.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

My main species is an omnivore. I got to the tribal stage and promptly got confused by the complete switcharound of viewing/movement controls. Ackth. Figured I needed a break.

I hit submit too soon. I love Spore! It's massively fun. I liked redesigning my species for diplomacy when I got tired of killin'. I just wish I were a bit more creative about designing animals. I keep going to four-legged Earth-like critters.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Waiting to get my digital download copy *grumbles*. I went to the local Walmart and Target and they were sold out, so impatient person I am, I ordered a digital download copy from GamingTreeOnline (since EA doesn't have a Mac Digital Download version). Still waiting for my link and code. The site put up a message saying it could be 72 hours till you get it :(

I want to play Spore! It looks like so much fun :D
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I also want to play, but alas I am broke. To help me not to be broke, I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any new games until I had finished my old ones...I have a habit of buying pretty games and then not playing them, or playing them for 15 minutes and never again. Woe. Well maybe I'll see if I can con my dad into buying it for me after I get to 70 in WoW, 50 curently, and finish Okami. I'm soo close on Okami, but somewhere along the line someone told me it took 8 hours to complete. After clocking in around 30 in a couple days, my head nearly asploded.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I just bought it earlier. Unfortunately, I'm having several problems with it. It's not installing right on Vista, which it should be fine with, and when I get to evolve my little blob, sea creature, the game shuts down. D: I'm going to look on the site for help now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it right this time.

Although, the sea blob creature part is fun. :D

Huggles, I'm over 26 or so hours in Okami right now and still not finished. XD I really need to get back to playing that...
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Hey, by some weird chance, can you create humans in Spore? Or something vaguely humanish?
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

The latter, yes. I've seen several human attempts on the Spore site, but none of them seemed very realistic.

$50+ is too expensive for me right now, so I'm going to wait until Christmas to get this game.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Sadly my computer won't run the creature creator so I'm sure it won't run the actual game, but my friend bought it and I'm going to go play later this week.
Image Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

OOOH! I can get it ON MY CELLPHONE for $8!

EA has been fabulous for making games that work on mine.

I haven't tried it yet. Should I? :D