Spore!!

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Saturn

Spore!!

Post by Saturn »

The actual game doesn't come out till September, but you can download the creature editor now from http://www.spore.com/ftl ! There are two versions, the free version that only has about 1/4 the parts and the $10 full version that has everything. I definitely suggest you check it out, even the free version has a LOT to do and you can submit anything you create to be used in the actual game when it comes out :) (and if my crappy computer can run it almost perfectly yours should too :P)

By the way, if you make anything awesome you can post it here by uploading the image file found in the My Documents/Spore Creations/Creatures folder. The little png files there have all the data the game needs to render a creature embedded in them, all you have to do is save them into your own Creatures folder and they should be in the database the next time you run the game. Here are all of mine so far:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ ... urn/spore/

C'mon, make some good ones :P
Goldenchaos

Re: Spore!!

Post by Goldenchaos »

:D SPORE...I loove the creature creator, and so cant wait for the actual game. Im probably gonna end up getting the $10 at some point, the one I have is the leaked demo.
Image Image
ImageImage
Madge

Post by Madge »

I downloaded it but it says I need directX 10, and it looks like my graphics card can't support it, so I'm going to have to use friends' versions of it :(.

Which is probably for the best what with exams.

In any event, it looks AWESOME - even if most people will be making giant penis monsters.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Last edited by Aqua on 19 Jun 2008 06:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

This is quite addictive! Here's the only one I've made so far, who I named Kar.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Spore needs DirectX10?? I had no idea it was going to be Vista-only! Damn. At least Derek has it, but....

(I'm actually having a hard time pinning that down--is it just a rumor or just the creature creator or what?)
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

You can get directx10 for XP now, but as my video card can't handle it I haven't bothered (that's a lie - I actually almost downloaded it, then decided to check my video card out, and apparently it's not up to the job though I have no way to be sure what with my silliness).

(I'm not sure if you can actually download it, but there are tricks that allow it to work).
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh. Silly me, looking at official sites. ^_~ I'm still confused as to why it's needed for Spore, though.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

AngharadTy wrote:Spore needs DirectX10?? I had no idea it was going to be Vista-only! Damn. At least Derek has it, but....
I've actually heard the opposite; that DirextX 10 isn't compatible with the game and you have to downgrade to 9C to play it (something to do with pixel shading?).

I'm running the trial version of the Creator on my XP laptop right now and I absolutely love it. :D I'm going to go and buy the full version of the Creator this weekend.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Bah. I don't like any of my creations. I can't help but think that the only thing I'd ever create in spore would be a koala. Perhaps, one with wings and teeny horns, but that's it. It's fun, but frustrating. I can play with human avatar customization systems for hours, I think that's how I spent the majority of my free trial time in City of Heroes, but this just makes me feel very inept.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Okay so EA is really pissing me off. I've been wanting to get the full version of the game so I go to EA to download it. But ohh look, they only have a direct download full version for PCs with the Mac version "coming soon". Its been "coming soon" since the release date. Last night the Spore website was down and I was excited that maybe they were adding the Mac version, but turns out they weren't. If I hadn't preordered the game, I'd just go to the store and buy the darn thing. I don't understand how they can have a PC/Mac usable disk but not have it ready for download online. Its obviously finished if they are selling it.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Aw my graphics card isn't up to snuff either Madge. I've been waiting for Spore for a long time, so I'm definitely going to upgrade before its released lol.
Image Image Image
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Seerow: You can go to the store and preorder the Mac version... but they make no claims about the ship date. I'm pretty sure it's not actually finished. And for good reason, too - the trial version is incredibly glitchy and has some serious problems. Crashes constantly, can't retrieve saved creatures, often freezes before you can even get to the creator part... At one point I got a debugging message that was clearly meant for a programmer. I'm hoping they're taking the delay time to fix the problems, 'cos at this rate I want to see the full version demo'd before I buy it.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Hmm I'm not having any of the problems you mentioned Foghawk. I haven't had a single problem with it on my Mac. Are you running a Macbook? I have read it has problems on those :(

I just find it odd that they already have it out in stores as a dual disk, but you can't get it online. I did preorder it, which is why I haven't gone out and actually bought it in stores, I'm just lacking patience I guess. I'm really liking the Creator and want to get my hands on all the parts.
Veo

Post by Veo »

I have heard of Spore for such a long time, and when the trial came out, I casually, lazily downloaded it, half expecting it not to work. I have a nice laptop, but . . . it's a laptop. Laptops do nice things, like excel sheets or allow you to surf the internet. No Command and Conquer 3 for me, no. I tried that game out and cried at the results. *sadface*

Thankfully, I have a bulky laptop which thinks it's a desktop, so Spore SOMEHOW runs nicely on my laptop. Also, I'm using Directx 9. My specs are a 1.8 AMD Turion Processor with a 128 Mb video card with one gig of RAM. Runs just fine. We are not talking like Crysis at fulls specs sort of results, but it's pretty and you don't even think your computer can't handle it. :)

Anyway. I get this game, can't believe it works, and then what?

I GET ADDICTED.

ImageImageImageImage

I made a cthulhu, a Lucius, a Luzz Bucket, and a Thorny Firefly. My Friend got a hold of it and made this . . .

CHOCOBO!

Anyway, I love this game. Love love love love LOVE LOVE, this game. I plan to legally buy it (surprise for me, since I'm a poor college kid), and prolly install it on both this computer and the one out in the living room so it can run on the projector I'm borrowing. Going to rock.

WANT IT NOWZ. :<