Meteor Games - Adam and Donna's new venture

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Kantark

Re: Meteor Games - Adam and Donna's new venture

Post by Kantark »

AngharadTy wrote:Best anti-bot system ever.
Agreed!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

The mini games are really fun! The Laundry and leaf eating one especially.
They have some pets up on their site now, which seem to be free when you make your character though there will probably be pay ones too. The animations for them are adorable!

Looks like I'll be reinstalling Bootcamp in order to play this game when it gets released so I can play it :D
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

After a very long period of not updating, Adam has announced that Twin Skies will now be 2D due to budget constraints and stuff. The thread announcing this is 65 pages long and counting, so I haven't read it all. But, I don't think it's a joke. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. It will be done in Flash, somehow. Gaia, Maplestory, and Wakfu were mentioned. That it will be better seemed to be of more significance. They're also working on a game with, or called "Ninjas, Pirates, Vikings". Adam also casually threw in that they're working on a Virtual Pet Site. Orly?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Mrrph. The lack of stuff to do has kept me off Twin Skies. I can only play witchery or laundry so much. (And actually, "so much" is "quite a bit"--but I need my hand to not hurt and my time to be spent on work... what was my point? I think I want something other than flash games.)
Image Image
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Thanks for the info. I've still been trying to log in daily but gave up trying to keep up with the forums. *goes to read*
Keith

Post by Keith »

Huggles wrote:After a very long period of not updating, Adam has announced that Twin Skies will now be 2D due to budget constraints and stuff. The thread announcing this is 65 pages long and counting, so I haven't read it all. But, I don't think it's a joke. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. It will be done in Flash, somehow. Gaia, Maplestory, and Wakfu were mentioned. That it will be better seemed to be of more significance. They're also working on a game with, or called "Ninjas, Pirates, Vikings". Adam also casually threw in that they're working on a Virtual Pet Site. Orly?
Really, that's a bit surprising. You'd think that the terms of their contract with Viacom included a non-compete for some years in the future after leaving the company.

Regardless, that's a little disappointing (and worrying for me!). I sent them an e-mail awhile ago congratulating them on getting away from Viacom and getting to work on what they wanted, but it got bounced back :(
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Some of the other forum members mentioned that they'd kind of like to have Twin Skies finished, or at least in some sort of playable form or beta, before they start working on something else. I concur.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Did Viacom buy Neopets from Adam and Donna, or did Doug Dohring buy it from them and then sell it to Viacom? Or was he just like, their financing manager/douchebag-in-charge? I am unclear of the business details.

Either way, I agree - I hope they push back any other ventures for now and finish up Twin Skies, which sounded really promising.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I think Adam and Donna sold it to Doug, and they were still apart of it. Then Doug and all them higher ups, sold it to Viacom. I forget where I read it ( I think it was one of the Twin Skies fansites, or Neopets one), but after awhile Adam and Donna didnt like where Viacom was taking the company, so they left/sold it..

Or something to that degree.
Image Image
ImageImage
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I think they may have retained a share in the company when they sold it to Dohring. But they may have not had much choice but to sell their part to Viacom if the others all also wanted to sell.

They left in 2005, which is longer ago than many of us actually thought, and that was around the time that Viacom took over Neopets. I seem to remember in the interview that I read that they "felt it was time to move on from Neopets" or something like that- which might be a euphemism for not liking where Viacom was going to take the site.
Neopets wishlists: here