Meteor Games: Vikings, Pirates, Ninjas

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Meteor Games: Vikings, Pirates, Ninjas

Post by mellaka »

Has anyone been keeping up with Twin Skies/Meteor Games? They took down the main Twin Skies site (with the few mini games there) because Vikings, Pirates, Ninjas seems to be going into beta soon, possibly today.

There's a character screenshot on the main site and more information if you go to the old forums.

Edit: And, it's live. Though I can't figure out what to do.
http://www.vpnwars.com

Edit edit: It's a lot of fun though a little repetitive. I signed up as a Viking - Astrid the Blessed if anyone else joins.
daisybell

Re: Meteor Games - Adam and Donna's new venture

Post by daisybell »

I joined, and ended up with the name "Jane Threepwood"- I couldn't resist the Monkey Island reference (I'm a pirate, of course).

The waiting for more energy is kind of dull, especially as you level up and your quests need more energy. There isn't an awful lot of skill involved, at least, not at this point. It's just clicking buttons as far as I can see.
Neopets wishlists: here
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Hah! I'm a ninja! My name is Serene Storm. The list of random names is pathetically short, so I chose the most oxymoronic one.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm confused; is Twin Skies gone entirely, along with the stuff I did there? I mean, I know they didn't ever release it officially, but I had earned achievements and stuff. ;P
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I believe they said that the data for achievements is still around and will be available for whatever whenever.
mellaka

Post by mellaka »

I couldn't remember where I saw it, but it says on the Twin Skies splash page that achievements will be kept.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh... that domain was down when I tried visiting. Heh.
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Waiting for energy does indeed suck. It's made all the more boring because there aren't any mini games you can play while waiting. Hopefully, this will be remedied in later levels. I like their conservative use of flash and the little web tricks they use make the transition between flash and html almost seamless. Although, the breathing animation on your avatar is too exaggerated for something that big. It works on smaller sprites, where you have less to work with, but it's starting to grate my nerves here. I also wish you didn't have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page to see your basic info and navigation. It should either be fixed at the top of the page, so it's always seen. Though, that doesn't seem likely with the size of the background image because you'd see little else. Or it should be placed at the side, like Neopets used to be and Subeta, where you don't have to scroll as frequently.

The lady that runs the newbie weapon shop is hilarious. Her sword makes a sheathing and sharpening sound as it's slid along the back of her neck.

Oh Bobs, the shops restock. Endless joy.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

When I realised that the shops restocked, I sighed... I hoped that they'd moved on from that particular pet site cliche. Maybe it does happen in RPGs too, but I'd rather they'd just made the items expensive, which is what they are anyway in the auctions.

I realise there has to be something stopping you from just clicking to level up lots and lots, but there isn't anything else to keep you on the site between the few clicks for doing quests.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

So it's kinda boring right now and waiting for energy to refill is possibly the stupidest idea ever, but it's still kinda nifty. The dialogue is usually pretty darn funny and entertaining to read and I like the graphics.
I'm a viking named Erika Misenhimersen if anyone wants to add me as a friend. Is there a way to add people to your friend's list if they aren't online at the time? And can I add pirates or ninjas too?
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I think you can only add people as friends by being in the same location as them at the same time. Which currently excludes making friends with anyone who isn't the same race as you are.

I've got to level 10 today, and so I can't earn any more exp- I wish there was full list of all quests so I could find out if any of the ones I haven't done will open up others. At the moment I'm earning rep, and so I have to do quests for which I get no exp to get the items I need for the rep quest. And there's no point wasting energy doing quests which I'll get only a few coins from, no rep and no exp unless it lets me do another quest which is more useful.
mellaka

Post by mellaka »

Yeah the energy refill is tedious but I'm still enjoying the game. It's a nice break between dancing on Subeta for me right now.

I've been level 10 since yesterday or the day before, I forget, so I've been working on rep too. On the viking side you can earn some new clothes through some of the rep quests, and I imagine it's the same for all the groups.

Anyway, I think it will be fun to watch it grow.

Edit: I am a little disappointed to learn that I could've had hairstyle/eye shape options for my viking. The avatar creation was glitched when I signed up (it basically looked like a floating face with some hair in front of it), so I was just glad to get the hair color/eye color/skin tone I wanted, and that my viking didn't turn out to be a female with a beard.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

There have been quite a number of changes made. Name are unique and no longer auto generated. You can request a name change via the support form. You can also search for and add friends by name. You can create up to three characters of any faction. I added a pirate named Tula(Darkwater FTW!), and Viking named Syn. Godchecker was down, but wikipedia says it's a Norse goddess of some sort. I don't see any option to delete my new characters or to change their names without filing a support claim. My name change to Mileena hasn't gone through yet, but I listed Huggles and Cuppincakes and second and third picks. Althouh, I'd kinda like those as my other character names if Mileena goes through.

I just realized Bob is not taken. Woe. Edit:I am dumb. You can delete characters at the switch page by clicking on the little red minus in the bottom right corner, entering your password, then selecting delete. My viking is now Bob.

The map looks like it has been enlarged so that less of an area is shown at any given time. Energy regeneration has had the time limit reduced to 15 minutes, and there is also a counter counting down to when it does regnerate. Level limits have been taken away from pets and much more, says Donna.

There's an honor option on user profiles, similar to hearting on Fuzz Academy, that you can use to boost someone's energy.
mellaka

Post by mellaka »

I'm enjoying the changes. My original character's name was glitched with the updates and they changed it back really quickly. But I was one of the first people to ask so I'm sure there's a backup of requests by now.

I wish I would've thought it out and re-named my viking Aud, like I originally planned to. My username is Anya's (from Buffy) old name, but the writers also named her for a viking king's wife - so it would've been perfect. Oh well.

So instead I named my pirate Aud and, being the unoriginal person that I am, my ninja Anyanka. I was just trying to think fast and claim some names that I didn't want to miss. I almost added additional words to them, but I decided I'd just rather have the names themselves.

And, I guess I've grown attached to my original character's name.

Edit: And I added the posters here who are in other classes to my friends list - so if you get a notice about Astrid the Blessed/Aud/Anyanka, that's me. I was able to add Seerow before since you're a viking.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Hmm, I haven't been on the site for a couple of weeks and now it's all completely changed after months of inactivity where I visited every day. Do I need to create a new account on the VPN site or can I use my previous Twin Skies details?
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark