Site revamp/overhaul

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Site revamp/overhaul

Post by Seerow »

Yet more changes were release to the pet profiles.
There's this new stats bar which is confusing as hell and looks rather tacky. What was wrong with the old version? It was simple to read and wasn't in your face.
I wonder if the rule about not being able to remove pet stats will be lifted now? Thanks Charm for pointing out that it is now perfectly fine to remove stats. Clicky

There is also your pet's birthday added, which is neat. Although I'm not sure why I need a "pet adopted" section when I was the one that created a pet and never adopted it. Seems kinda strange. *Shrug*

I wonder what the new changes are going to be? Maybe an easier way to add overlays! That would be great.

Edit again:

More thanks to Charm. Here's the code to get rid of the ugly bars under the stats :D

Code: Select all

.statbar {display: none;}
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Amphigorey
Human Avatar: 435031

Post by Amphigorey »

Gonna repost the codes here for those who haven't seen my Subeta post:

To remove stat bars:

.stat {display:none;}
.statbar {display:none;}
To remove all birthdates:

.pet_age_info_date, .pet_age_info, .pet_wco_info, .pet_wco_info_date {
display:none;
}
To remove just the adoption:

.pet_wco_info, .pet_wco_info_date {display:none;}
To remove the entire stats column (which is now allowed, just don't alter them) :

.column_3 {display:none;}
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Thanks, Amphigorey. Saves me the headdesking trouble of finding out which things were added and all. For a site that I play for fun, it sure makes me want to tear my hair out on a regular basis. I still haven't finished re-coding my pets' profiles, and this gives me even less incentive to do so!

Also... what is the point of the stat bars? Stats I get, but what do the stat bars mean?
Image Image
Amphigorey

Post by Amphigorey »

Also... what is the point of the stat bars? Stats I get, but what do the stat bars mean?
Apparently it's the comparison of your stats to each other. If one stat's really high but low compared to another stat it will be low in the stat bar.

It's terribly annoying on pets that don't battle; Sententia has a pretty high intelligence but I don't train him in anything else, and his other bars are actually in the negatives.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

It's annoying on pets that do battle, too. I know what the stats are. I can freaking read. They're not selling me on the whole "this is totally an improvement so the inconvenience doesn't matter" line.
Image Image
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

I've actually enjoyed all of the site changes lately, up till this... I'm really trying to wrap my brain around why the stat bars are remotely useful/cool/unique/necessary, and I can't come up with a single reason. :| They're easily removed, which is nice... but it's such a pointless addition to begin with. Maybe someone on staff will eventually explain why the bars are (meant to be) useful.

The only thing I could come up with would be if someone had the choice to display either the absolute stats (numbers) or the relative ones (bars), if they wanted a more vague description of their pets' stats like you might see in a videogame- X pet has high defense and low speed, while Y pet has high speed and low defense.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Mmm.. I hate the new additions, but at least they're easily fixed. Well.. almost. On my pet, [urlhttp://www.subeta.ws/pets/.Deva.]Deva[/url]'s lookup, the adoption/creation dates will go. When I remove the stat bars, her whole profile screws up e_e; Fff, I'd like to know if that could be fixed.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Amphigorey

Post by Amphigorey »

ZomgethMew wrote:Mmm.. I hate the new additions, but at least they're easily fixed. Well.. almost. On my pet, Deva's lookup, the adoption/creation dates will go. When I remove the stat bars, her whole profile screws up e_e; Fff, I'd like to know if that could be fixed.
[edit]
Since you seem to have removed the code and the problem remains, I'd guess the problem is with something else on the profile? I use the same profile and I don't have any problems with the code.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'd like a link to view your pets' profiles from the Pets page, after you click on their picture. It seems silly that I have to either search for them or visit my profile first, especially when editing their profiles.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Me too, Huggles. I keep clicking 'pets' and then going 'wait, what' >>.

@Amphigorey: No - when I get rid of the stat bars, it looks like this :B Of interest, this is what I've got on Deva's profile:

#pet_friends
{display:none}

#pet_treasure {display:none}

h2 {
}

.pet_age_info_date, .pet_age_info, .pet_wco_info, .pet_wco_info_date {
}

Shamu Neko's is the same, but with the stat codes css in place. So.. I dunno.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

ZomgetheMew, that's what should happen when you remove the stat bars. It does just that, gets rid of that confusing bar. If you want to get rid of stats altogether, you'll need to use the code to get rid of the whole column.

I think that's what you are wanting maybe? I don't see anything wrong with the page heh.

Edit:
keith wrote:As I've said before, we're moving forward. The next expected change to the pet profiles is large enough that we suggest you not do any further coding other than customizing what you've done to fit the current page. We're saying don't go pay 3 million for a brand new profile.

We try to keep things compatible, but sometimes it's not possible. The next major change to the page will probably not be compatible with current coding, but we're going to look into offering a sort of "pass through" CSS service where you input your CSS and we give you something comparable for the new layout.
From Keith on the forums. I just recently spent god knows how many hours pestering people for coding and getting my lookups to look nice again and I hear that all that effort will be for nothing. Why wasn't this stated when the new layout first went live. It would have saved people a lot of time and money if we had been told to wait till the end of the year for this magical new change to the way pet profiles work.

I guess I'll be saving all my coding again and hope to hell they are still functional when it goes live. But with 22 pets, even just reposting the coding takes far too much time. Mine is mainly just div boxes, so hopefully they should still work out okay.

I just really can't see what this new change could be, I mean, what else can you add to a pet profile that isn't already there? And why wasn't it designed this way in the first place.

Keith does have a history of pleasant surprises, so hopefully this is one of those changes. Here's to hoping!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Seerow wrote:I mean, what else can you add to a pet profile that isn't already there? And why wasn't it designed this way in the first place.
That's what MY biggest pet peeve is. Why did they decide to not change user profiles, but change pet profiles? Why did they beta test the site, but NOT new pet profiles? Why weren't all these changes to pet profiles made when the rest of the site was revamped so we wouldn't have to be fixing our pet profiles, over and over and over?
Amphigorey

Post by Amphigorey »

I'm hoping and praying that this will make pet profiles RIDICULOUSLY easy to code, like the drag-and-drop boxes on profiles, but I'm guessing that I'm going to end up very disappointed.
Why did they decide to not change user profiles, but change pet profiles?
Because user profiles aren't dependent on the layout, and there's not much reason to change them (though I suppose the same could be said of pet profiles).
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Seerow wrote:Why wasn't this stated when the new layout first went live.
This this this this this

I set a deadline for myself and waited to make sure they weren't going to release new changes to pet profiles before spending hours re-coding them from scratch. I really don't appreciate my time being wasted. I guess that one could say that time spent on a pet site is time wasted anyway, but at least I had something to look at for that time. I have no incentive to do that again. I am positive that as soon as I'd code something for the "new" flavor of pet profiles, something else would change. That seems to be the way of subeta. I have no interest in playing Red Queen (running to stand still) on my time off.
Image Image
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Seerow wrote:ZomgetheMew, that's what should happen when you remove the stat bars. It does just that, gets rid of that confusing bar. If you want to get rid of stats altogether, you'll need to use the code to get rid of the whole column.

I think that's what you are wanting maybe? I don't see anything wrong with the page heh.
I've already got that code in (and that isn't working, either >>); this is what happens with the stat bar code in.

..if it helps, I've got IE. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the whole reason for this error :x.