Account Worth and Account Backup

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Account Worth and Account Backup

Post by Huggles »

They're located under the Prefs tabs in the site navigation top menu. Did I miss these features being announced somewhere? Oh well. The account backup looks like a great idea. I'm sure there are more than a few people who wish Neopets had this. Although, I think this is something that should require a password if not a PIN despite the 24 hour limit. There is also a nice link telling me just how much my account is "worth". Hooboy. I suppose it's easy enough for someone who's managed to gain access to your account to surmise it's worth and what they'd want to take, but I'm not sure that's something I want collated onto a single page. It's sort of interesting to know, but now that I do, I want an off button.

One of my pet's treasure chests totals 82,100,064 million sp, and it's not the one with an infinite? There's also a few items listed in my most expensive item list that I'm pretty sure I don't have.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Re: Account Worth and Account Backup

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I find this useful in the sense that if I ever need to make some quick sP I can check this page to see where I can grab the items that are worth the most and stick them in my shop.

But, yeah, security issues immediately came to my mind as well. :/

EDIT: I'm a bit surprised that pet color doesn't seem to be accounted for on the list. I would have thought that they'd just take the current price of the potion that corresponds to the color (or the elixir, if it exists; whichever's cheaper). I'm also annoyed that books your pet has read count towards the "25 most expensive items you own" list; I can't exactly pull those books out for resale.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

Just from taking a quick look at this feature - my account's vastly over-valued. I'm not quite sure where it's getting the values for my items. It said one of the most expensive items I had was a Pink Chocolate Rose valued at over 10 mil sP, but looking it up on the Shop Search, the average price is more like...370,000. (No average price was given on the mouseover box whatsit.) Same deal with the Earth Tear Crystals: it lists them as being worth over a million sP a piece, but they're not worth anywhere near that and haven't been for a while now. Also I freaked and had to double check my vault when it said I only had one 1 Week Gold Account medal in there.

Soooo...I'd kinda take those estimates with a grain of salt, for now. Maybe future versions will be more accurate.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

I had no idea these even existed. I am now a bit scared by my account worth and also a bit unnerved by how little I feel I have to show for it. Security issues came to mind for me as well simply because of how detailed the list was. My one bit of a peeve is that they include the value of the books you have read to your pet in the equation. It isn't like I can ever get those books back and sell them for a profit and I almost felt pain when I looked at how much I had spent reading to my pets...I don't need to see that figure just for my own peace of mind. I agree that I'm surprised they don't include pet color as well...especially when they include something like books read and their value. Shrug. It's a neat little feature.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Cool, very cool. The backup thing is the best..:D
Image Image
ImageImage
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

By far the single most expensive category in my account is the wardrobe. No surprise there!

Speaking from experience, even if the "most valuable items" really ARE listed for that much in the Shop Wiz, trying to actually SELL them for that much is another thing entirely...
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I actually find the whole thing rather neat and hope that the kinks get worked out soon. The top 25 items list is rather pointless at the moment since it is giving false data! Here's how they are supposed to work, quoted from Alx.
Just a quick explanation in case anyone is curious! To price items, this tool first looks at the "today" price from the item hover. If that's not available, it'll go with the overall price. If THAT's not available, it looks in user shops to find that item for sale. It then calculates the average price it finds and uses that as an estimate for the worth of the item.
It doesn't quite work that way yet, as it has my Boobitis Cardboard Mask selling at 15mill apiece :P
I'm not really concerned about it causing account safety issues. The public can't view it and if someone did hack into your account they likely wouldn't need to look at that page to figure out what they can sell for a bunch of sp.

The account download would benefit from a pin/separate password though!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

It then calculates the average price it finds and uses that as an estimate for the worth of the item.
So if 1000 people are selling a worthless item for 1sp, and one single person puts it in their shop for 50m sp (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the max) not really intending it to sell, it will be priced at just under 50k on this listing? That seems slightly misleading.
sezrin

Post by sezrin »

apparently "1x: Boobitis Cardboard Mask @ 15,000,054 sP" errr despite the fact you can pick them up for 1,000SP.

Otherwise I like this, it's handy to see what lost things I have that are worth millions.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Huh, never knew I had an item in my gallery worth 30 mil...It's overall surprising to see how much my account is worth, considering I don't play that much.
derp
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Yeah.. As much as I'd like it I don't think my account is worth quite that much. :P

The back up thing is a really nice idea.

EDIT: Though I've already been surprised a little - Isn't the Song Chirrup a relatively new donation item? Then why is there only one up for sale, for 50 mil? O_o
Rah

Post by Rah »

Aqua wrote:Yeah.. As much as I'd like it I don't think my account is worth quite that much. :P

The back up thing is a really nice idea.

EDIT: Though I've already been surprised a little - Isn't the Song Chirrup a relatively new donation item? Then why is there only one up for sale, for 50 mil? O_o
Because a lot of people don't think a minion is worth $2.50, and would rather spend that money on a wearable (which is often easier to sell later, too)

Mostly, I'd just buy the monthly collection it came from and open it myself!
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

My account is worth more than I ever dreamed. I knew I had a lot of sP from my old restocker days. But I was really surprised buy how much Lyrra's treasures are worth. She has now unbuyable pretties in there. Second big surprise was the value of my Shinwa gallery. I stalked those items to get them at the lowest price and apparently they reinflated at some point. No surprise at all my wardrobe is worth a fortune :P Most expensive item I own is the Rune Reading Kit which I've never worn but never had the heart to sell either lol
Not all who wander are lost.
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

For having played as long as I have, my account is worth jack. LOL! I think it's mostly due to the fact that I don't mess with my wardrobe like so many others do.

What WAS impressive was noticing my minion gallery has supposedly just passed 1 billion sP. Awesome! Not that I'd ever sell it, but it is neat to see how much effort has gone into it.