Spectrail- New Flash Game (aka Hell Freezes Over)

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Spectrail- New Flash Game (aka Hell Freezes Over)

Post by AngharadTy »

Ohh, I see it in the news posting. It's not on the game page, so I thought it just didn't say. Thanks.
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I had an apparent top 10 score a few hours ago, but now that all the scores are processed I didn't make it on at all. Meh. I hope the high score table clears periodically like on Neopets, because it won't be long before every high score is over 1k and it'll be impossible for me to get the top 10 achievement.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I rather like the music heh.
The game itself is alright. I find the controls rather jerky but I'm sure I'll get used to them in time. The art is rather cute and I need those plushies.

Personally I'd rather not see flash games play too much of a role in further plots, simply because I don't want to have flashbacks to Neo where every single event is tied into playing games.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Eh, again, I was always under the impression that Flash games, just like Ads, would never happen, but I guess times have changed. It's great to see Subeta expanding and trying new things though. Unfortunately, it''s something I'll just forget about within 10 minutes.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I like this! Given how busy I am lately, it's nice to have flash games to make some quick monies on, especially when I can squeeze a few minutes of play in between stuff like, say, online test questions. xD

My only problem with it is how blurry the art is.

EDIT: Ok, I did find a problem - when I try to submit my score and get an error message, it still counts as a sent score. As a result, I've sent in my score successfully twice, yet I only have one pass remaining to send my score for today.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So is there actually a way to win? Cause the whole trapped in a nightmare thing gets really creepy otherwise...
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I can't get it work at all. Actually, a whole bunch of Javascript-requiring Subeta features also seem to be broken - suddenly I can't switch from sidebar to events, or update my status from my userinfo widget, and the pages stay the height of the content instead of stretching to match the sidebar. Spectrail displays the loading screen, and even the little splotches of paint that presumably indicate its progress, but the game doesn't actually start.
I've tried fiddling with caches and cookies, but nothing's worked so far. I'm inclined to think that since Subeta's Javascript should only start up after the page finishes loading, something is breaking all the pages and preventing it from finishing, but I've no idea if that's really it, or if the Spectrail issue is related at all.

EDIT: Having tried a couple of browsers, I've gotten both normal features and Spectrail to work. This is not good.
The game is okay, but the movement is less than smooth and it boots me back to the loading screen, with no way to play again, whenever I die. (Also, I can see the paint blobs resetting themselves whenever they appear on top of nightmare clouds.) Can't see myself getting too into it.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, now everything works. That was odd.
Except it doesn't now. This is absurd.
Last edited by Foghawk on 15 May 2010 05:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

My only problem with the game (other than the obvious, that it has kind of jerky motion) is that on the hardest difficulty, the rounded corners are bigger than they look. I'm a gamer; I know where my hitboxes are. And I keep dying in clear space.

Edit--Another problem: We need to be able to see how many times we've played today. Other than getting a good score and trying to send it. I don't have a time sense. I don't know if I played today, or if I did, how much.

Edit edit: Okay what.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Oooh, that happened to me to, Ty. Except mine was a few "boxes" lower and through some miracle it was sticking out *just* enough that I was able to snag it by running right against the wall.
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on 15 May 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I think if I'd been truly talented, I could have managed to just snag the very edge pixels, but as it was, I got it and died in the same second. ;)
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Well speak of the devil....

Suffice to say I did NOT get that one. XD
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

AngharadTy wrote:My only problem with the game (other than the obvious, that it has kind of jerky motion) is that on the hardest difficulty, the rounded corners are bigger than they look. I'm a gamer; I know where my hitboxes are. And I keep dying in clear space.
This is my main problem with it, too. I was hoping to like this game (I'm fond of Meerca Chase), but it's just annoying. It would be a lot better if the "playing field" wasn't rounded. Sure, Meerca Chase's plain old border-less box may not look amazing, but at least you know where your corners are.