Spectrail- New Flash Game (aka Hell Freezes Over)

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Spectrail- New Flash Game (aka Hell Freezes Over)

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Yes... there's now a Flash game on Subeta. It's essentially a Meerca Chase-esque game (I know that's a parody of some other game but I can't remember it's name at the moment) with Spectrum Pets and nightmare clouds.

I love these kinds of games, but I'm finding the controls a bit difficult in that I keep turning much sooner than I want to; it might just be my keyboard/computer, though. My impressions of the payoff is that it's not great (it looks like you get 1.5 sP for every point, at least on Hard, and blobs [s]are worth 15 points each (?) on Hard[/s] vary in worth from 8 to 40 points on Hard), but I didn't get that many "paint blobs" on my tail before I died so I didn't have that many points to begin with. :P

In general, I think a flash game is a welcomed change and I hope to see more of them on the site. :)
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on 12 May 2010 03:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Spectrail- New Flash Game (aka Hell Freezes Over)

Post by Joey »

It's amusing. The original it's based off of is called snake, and I've never been too bad at it. I could use some practice on this one though, just to get the timing right.
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

Finally a Flash Game!
Of course if it's similar to Meerca Chase, then I'll do very poorly [I don't know why I do so badly at a simple game x3;] but man oh man, I'm happy to see, FINALLY, a Flash game :3! I reallyreally hope they do more.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

I like how they're finally using flash. I guess it's safe now?

Still, I have some issues:
1. This game isn't too amazing. I mean, it reminds me of one of those startup pet sites way too much. Maybe that's just me.

2. Another instance of Keith changing his mind. He does this a lot.

Still, I like flash, and I hope they can integrate it into plots, and not just games!
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

One of my favourite simple games. Yay! Didn't get many points the first try though.
Luxe

Post by Luxe »

Is it so bad that Keith changes his mind specifically to listen to what his userbase has been asking for for years? :/
Mia

Post by Mia »

Bacon wrote:Still, I like flash, and I hope they can integrate it into plots, and not just games!
This is my biggest hope, that flash games will be integrated with plot events.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

People are allowed to make reasoned decisions and change their minds about things in ways that benefit us. Really they are.

I loved Meerca Chase for so long; I'm pleased to have a Subeta equivalent.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Hmm. I just scored 589 and submitted the score I'm not on the High Score list. :/ I'm hoping it's just cache or something being slow.

ETA: Reading through the comments, it looks like everyone's having issues right now. Bah.
Bacon wrote:Still, I like flash, and I hope they can integrate it into plots, and not just games!
Oh man. This so much.
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on 12 May 2010 03:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Luxe wrote:Is it so bad that Keith changes his mind specifically to listen to what his userbase has been asking for for years? :/
I'm not mad about it; I welcome it. I'm excited about it. I do wish to know what made him change his stance, though. Did he find security measures?
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I loved Meerca Chase on Neopets. One of the only flash games I played there. So I'm happy to see this. And it deals with spectrum pets. I love rainbows, yay rainbows! XD **coughs** Anywho, I started to play it when my power suddenly went poof! I'm going to say that's on my side and not the fault of the flash game. o.o I'm going to give the game another test run but I liked what I had played of it. So this is a good step for Subeta. So much better then their last new game they had. XP Now they just need a Subeta version of Destruct-O-Match and I'll be a very happy girl. ;D
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Keith

Post by Keith »

Mostly because Flash has come a long, long way since I started my crusade. It's still slow, and easy to cheat, but now it's a lot easier for us to catch the cheaters. Not only that, but the ability to communicate between PHP and Flash has been greatly increased, and that lets us set flags along the way in the game (ie: you collect a green paint splotch, then a purple one, and the game keeps track of that) and hash the 'flags' and send those along with your score. If the hashed flags don't match up with your score, then we know you're cheating.

We took a look at the situation and the new abilities of flash, and decided that it was worth it to give it a try :). I'm really excited, and our first game is going really well (except for some score issues. Don't worry, your score is being tracked, and the high score list SHOULD update soon!) and it's something that we can easily build on for the future :D
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I like that it's a game I'm not entirely awful at. Neopets has at hundreds to chose from, but similar sites always seem to start off with the ones I hate. It's a classic game and the art is nice, albeit a little blurry. I especially like the game over screen. The music is fitting, but I don't think it will be getting stuck in my head any time soon. That may be for the best though. The sp payout isn't laughable, but it still feels a little low when compared to doing a single wizard, mid to high item, or Saggi quest. I am not the most active person when it comes to making money on the site, I mostly scrounge around and try to sell really old crap I have in my wardrobe, but having a decent payout is a two sided coin. Users like making money, and I imagine the staff doesn't want to spend that much time working on a game nobody plays after the newness wears off.

Overall feel of shock. Heartfelt enthusiasm is shared.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

One question--I haven't had time to actually play, but are we limited to 3 plays a day like on Neo?
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

10 for gold accounts, 5 for regular users.