How do yo decide when to sell stuff?

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

How do yo decide when to sell stuff?

Post by Wingsrising »

Random question. I have a 1 month GA active (something I usually don't do) because I wanted to make another pet. So I figured, may as well clear some junk out of my vault as long as I have the autopricer. (I've managed to reduce it from 13 pages to 11... not in sales, mind, just in sticking things in my shop.)

I have a terrible time trying to figure out what to sell and what to keep. I'm focusing on the cheaper items as autopricer doesn't work on the expensive ones (and I can sell those anytime anyway.) I'm getting rid of a lot of the current, restockable items in my vault. And, ironically, while other people are adding items to their wardrobe to get achievements, I'm reducing mine... getting rid of stuff I actually don't like and never use so it's easier to find the stuff I'll actually wear.

But what about all those free gifts/ToT items/Melody items? Old trivia prizes? I find myself very reluctant to sell those because I think, "Well, maybe they'll inflate." Then when they inflate, I'm reluctant to sell them because, "Well, maybe they'll inflate more." Now don't get me wrong, I make most of my sP these days selling old items that have inflated -- mostly old trivia prizes, DPs, giveaway items, or token shop items. So this isn't a bad strategy. But I know there's a point where I have to let go, or I end up with what I have... 11 pages worth of crap in my vault. And of course on Subeta, old items can be re-released as trivia prizes, giveaway items, or crystal shop items at any time, meaning it's not always safe to wait around forever to sell things.

How long do you guys usually hold on to things like free gifts, ToT, or Melody items waiting for them to inflate?
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: How do yo decide when to sell stuff?

Post by Jessi »

I'm a hoarder, and I just end up keeping everything in my vault... until I need SP for something, heh. Usually what happens is I decide I want to work on a particular pet's treasures, so I clean out my wardrobe and vault of anything I don't use, activate a GA and autoprice my shop. I don't really have a real rhyme or reason to it, I'm sorry to say, so my advice isn't particularly useful ;_; I do hold onto all my books, though, since they'll inflate rapidly when there's a new reading drive.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Until I need money! Then sell everything either a) I know I'll never want, like fugly clothing items, or b) over 100k.

I hoard like crazy. My vault is 24 pages and that's low--it was 30 or so. I'm not even the worst hoarder here, I think. =)
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Subeta's economy is just too broken to predict. Free gifts are most profitable upon release; I always sell mine immediately (if it's a good one, usually for 500k-1m) and rebuy it later when it's worth nothing. In my experience, it'll only become very valuable in a year or two if it's a highly demanded wearable, or if it got replaced with another free gift too soon (like the confusion with that flower sticker thing, I didn't get one.) Also, I think Melody items will continue to be worthless for a long time because of the New Year's giveaways.

The book drive is good for old, retired books. I had people buy 10m+ ones from me on the last day.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Well, I don't know if I NEED the money, per se. But massively updating pet treasures, release of costume trunks I wanted a few items from, but not enough to buy the whole trunk, and just generally knocking a few items I don't think are going to get much cheaper off my WL has sucked my bank account down by quite a bit.

I guess 11 pages isn't all that bad. It's just that I actually don't usually run a GA. I feel weird spending TOO much real money on virtual stuff, so I usually save it for costume trunks and wearable DPs, and I always think about how much I could sell the GA for instead of using it (I think that in terms of ease of selling and return on investment they're one of the best ways to convert real money to SP). So I want to take advantage of the autopricer while I have it.

On a related note: re: converting real money to SP. How easy is it, usually, to sell retired DPs? If it's pretty easy, buying and holding for 6 months that might be another good bang for the real-money-bunk...

Good point about the giveaways, I forgot about those. I may just sell off my old Melody items that aren't books or attractive plushies, minons or wearables.

I've heard rumors about the possibility of another book drive upcoming. Anyone have any news? If so, I'll be interested to see what happens to the items and pricing structure in the Reading Drive shop. In previous years hitting 400 points to get the top item required a huge investment, but with new book releases you can hit 400 books just with books selling for under 100k.

Oh, yeah, that's the other place my sP has been going recently, restocking my book supply in case of another reading drive...
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Wingsrising wrote:How easy is it, usually, to sell retired DPs? If it's pretty easy, buying and holding for 6 months that might be another good bang for the real-money-bunk...
Depends. Are you talking about the old DP's with the random prizes or the collections where you can choose your item? I can tell you from experience that the old DP's are a bitch to sell. The collections are easier to sell, I believe. It also just depends on how good the items inside are. Some collections are going for more than 6 million, but others hover around 4.

As far as real money to sp goes... I just looked up going rates for CSC on the advertising forum and WOW. Maybe they went up 'cause of the sale, but 9 million for 500 credits? SO, if you want sp for your real cash, you could either 1.) buy the gift cards and trade/sell them on the forums (they tend to get bought quickly) or 2.) buy 1 month gold account medals (they'll always be in demand). Just my opinion, though.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}