Restock War - Nico vs. Manwar

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Re: Restock War - Nico vs. Manwar

Post by Tiki »

AngharadTy wrote:Yeah, don't go to the subeta forums looking to defuse that rage...
.... I really should listen to you from now on. ;P After that lovely dose of supreme professionalism I do believe I will turn my attention to my grad school applications for the rest of the weekend! Perhaps my internet-rage will subside on Monday when the cosplay thing starts and we get more point-gaining options.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Item stealing for Manwar is pretty aggravating too. At least the items are there, sure, but I can refresh by the second, see a stack of six of them, and they're Sold Out! when I click on them. That is insane. I've only managed to get one and I'm supposed to get 25 for the final tier.

I admit I'm having a lot of fun since I got back into the swing of restocking in a medium sized shop where I know the whole inventory. For the first few days I was like "screw this I'm going to go play sega saturn instead" but now I'm up to 1.3k points.

I'm just worried that if the prizes are all gaming/nerdy themed, I won't have much use for them besides my pet Kole's TC. (I'm already giving him extra spaces in preparation.) But it could be exciting if there's references to games I like, hmm.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

*sigh* I miss my Sega Saturn. :(

I got two points by restocking a 5k book. It's just enough to get and keep a medal. Although, I still have my Calvin Blackmoon medal for earning 0 points.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I haven't been able to steal a item for Manwar yet. It could be because I killed my laptop so am playing on an older, slower desktop, probably for the rest of the war. (The worst part - it's all my own fault since I knocked over the damned thing.)

Anyway, at least I got my desktop working and am up to about 1400 points.
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Apparently my window of opportunity is around 5-6am my time before leaving for work when there's around 400 people online. I managed to steal 6 items for Nico, which is... 6 more than I hoped to get, LOL.

Reached 2000 points as well and every time I think I cannot stand another restock, I see a ton of people with 4-6k points and I feel like I really should keep going. :\ This whole thing with the points being displayed on the forums would make for a nice sociological/peer pressure study.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Voting for the Cosplay contest started today, and I like the way they have it set up. Every hour, you get a set of HAs to vote for that I'm going to assume are random and they don't have the usernames attached either so it isn't a straight out popularity contest, which is nice. And wow, TONS of obscure (for me anyway) anime references!

I hope this isn't the other option we have to earn points though, as it would suck. If the event is going to be over by the end of the month, then well, Keith is really running out of time to add any more methods.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I just hope if we get points from being voted on, they let us know early enough so I know whether I need to try to RS one item for a trophy or not...
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Voting is hard: There are beautiful avatars, funny avatars and avatars from series that I really, really like. (also a lot of completely, to me, obscure avatars)
What a difference with the neopets dress up contest where the pets that are picked are all horribly mismatched and cluttered....

The only thing I wonder about, does every avatar get put up once? Because timezones can make quite a difference. Does it takes into calculation that you can't get as many votes if you are featured when 400 people are online then if you were on the page when there are over 1000 people logged in?
Other than that I enjoy the game of guess the avatar.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I've seen a few avatars a couple times already, so they're probably be randomly picked or something.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

It's randomly generated and different for everyone. :)

There are so many anime characters that it's kinda overwhelming - to me, it's a bit of a turn off as I usually have no clue. I tend to stick to the familiar. And I have no idea why people didn't include references as I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for half the time. That's automatically a no-vote from me, even if I can decipher them. However, I think I can safely say I was the only person to enter a Desperate Housewives character. XD

Also, personally, I'm quite enjoying restocking when I get time for it. I encounter the words 'sold out' far too often, but I've managed to snag a few nice things, though, if they will ever sell is a totally different manner. ^_~
Subeta: Thomas
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

If the HA is so good that I recognize the character even without a reference listed, I'll vote for it. That's the point, right, for it to be an instantly recognizable character? So far most of the ones I've voted for have had a ref listed, though. I recall Shawn of the Dead, Dean from Supernatural, Link (and Epona), and Cruella deVil. I'm not voting for any anime ones because I just don't care. I have seen a couple of Ramona Flowers ones and wanted to vote on principle (yay, Scott Pilgrim!) but they just weren't recognizable enough.

I'm sad that I didn't get a cosplay HA in before the deadline -- I meant to and forgot. I had a half-decent Queen Sophie-Anne from True Blood worked out.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I'm just voting for characters I like best, or if I'm not familiar with any in a batch, the weirdest/most unexpected. It's already obvious which ones will amass the most votes, so I'd rather support the underdogs for fun. I don't think I get any points for voting and I don't know the people behind the avs, so w/e. So far I've voted for a Rydia, Where's Waldo, and some amusing green thing in drag.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I voted for a Zombie vs. Shark, a Claymore, and something else I don't remember but that looked cool. I saw a Leela, but she was up against the Claymore.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

So far I voted for Mellaka (love your weeping angel), for avatars I recognise from series and movies I love and sometimes for creativity. I had already seen snow whites mirror on the boards, but I thought it was a really great idea, so it got my vote.
All the anime characters are unknown to me, so they have to be really good and look like their reference to get my vote.

I like the changing system, it's interesting to see if we will get points/achievements for this.
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

I go purely by how well an avatar matches their reference- I really don't think it's fair at all for people to pass over one just because they don't recognize it; that's the whole point of including references in the first place! LOL. At real life cons people get complimented all the time based on their costume's quality and such, even if the person they're speaking to doesn't even know who they're supposed to be. That's my reasoning behind my own method.

I've seen plenty of Disney and such that I do recognize, but more often than not I've been voting for anime ones because they seem to have spent more time matching the real character. Throwing on a medieval gown + single forest background =/= Sleeping Beauty, sorry to say. ;P

There is also a mental list of 5 or 10 people who have AMAZING cosplays that I will vote for every time I see them, but so far, none have popped up for me. Alas.