Subeta Friend Feed

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Subeta Friend Feed

Post by Huggles »

So basically you and your friends can now see what you're all doing at any given time on Subeta. Get an achievement? Updated. Paint a pet? Updated. Post a comment? Updated.

No offense to everyone who is my friend, all of Neocolours, but I personally find it to be completely useless. I really don't care what you do if you don't care enough about it to post here. The fun thing is that it's automatically turned on. Who didn't learn their lessons from WoW and Facebook? Oh, I bet you can't guess! Logically, one would think people on your block list shouldn't show up to you and your updates shouldn't be shown to them, but I haven't bothered checking if it's working.

So, now's the time to start defriending any stalkers you might have friended to placate them for whatever reason. Or, be an invisible hermit like me.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Re: Subeta Friend Feed

Post by TCStarwind »

This has been around for a while, actually. I don't remember when they put it up, but I ignored it. Now it's taken over the front page. I miss the front page, I want it back. :(
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

Yeah, the feature has been around for months. Except prior to this, it was an optional thing you could check under your personal tab. Not... the freakin' "home" page.

I know Keith said he was going to change the front page for logged in users (to go along with the new "JOIN SUBETA LOL" page for unregistered users), but is this it? Really? Ugh.

*looks through her own feed* And now I feel like an ass updating my restock status every hour and spamming a bunch of you. :| Sorry.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

You can't do anything without other people seeing it. I feel a bit stalked, even though the information is forced upon everybody without asking.
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Marah wrote:You can't do anything without other people seeing it. I feel a bit stalked, even though the information is forced upon everybody without asking.
Er... yes you can? I'm never a fan of the stalker argument, as a lot of what we do isn't private to begin with. It has been made easier to find by others, sure, but there's no way to play Subeta in your own personal bubble either.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Aha! I must have ignored it since everything was turned off, and not on. Or not. I have never seen it before.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I can't remember ever seeing it either, but I probably didn't look hard enough. Thanks for the link, I will not be spamming people with unimportant events anymore :)
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I feel stalked myself, and I've had all of mine turned off forever. Except for token shop purchases -- I figure if I accidentally catch a restock, someone else might want to know too. But the rest of it just feels downright invasive, even if it can be turned off.

If I wanted people to know what I was doing 24/7 I'd post a freakin' sign. I don't appreciate someone trying to follow me around and post it for me.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Haha, what? That's what subeta.net turns into when you're logged in? Good christ, that's dumb. Oh well. I will continue using my quick stock link to get to subeta. But now I will also snicker.
Image Image
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Kamil wrote:I feel stalked myself, and I've had all of mine turned off forever. Except for token shop purchases -- I figure if I accidentally catch a restock, someone else might want to know too. But the rest of it just feels downright invasive, even if it can be turned off.

If I wanted people to know what I was doing 24/7 I'd post a freakin' sign. I don't appreciate someone trying to follow me around and post it for me.
I know this is going off on a tangent but maybe one of you can explain this to me? Because when I ask the same question on the forums, I never really get a satisfying answer.

Let's assume you *don't* want anyone on Subeta really knowing what you're doing. You rarely/never post on the forums or news comments, so people likely don't even know you exist. You take the pet widget off your profile so there's no way to see if/when you're adopting pets. You don't ping anybody or otherwise draw attention to yourself. If the friend feed wasn't optional and you behaved like this, I could totally see why people would be against it. However, if that's your playing style, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have anyone on the site friended to begin with, meaning the feed would be empty anyway.

But as it is, I think most of us are friends with each other on Subeta as part of that NC list in one of the stickied posts. If you don't mind someone here enough to friend them, why is it such a big deal when they can see your posts or when you adopt a pet? It's not like the forums, profile comments, etc. aren't public domain to begin with. The only truly private thing is messaging and obviously the friend feed doesn't touch that (and it rightly shouldn't).

So what exactly is so invasive about the feature? I'm not asking this to be snarky for any reason, it just honestly baffles me how someone can be simultaneously sociable by wanting to have friends, and yet not wanting their friends to interact with them in this way. If you don't want your "friends" to know what you're doing, are they even close enough to be listed on your profile at all?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I think Keith could have come up with something far better then the friend feed for the main page, as it's not really all that attractive. I rarely visited the home page (I have the news page set on my bookmarks) so I guess this doesn't really affect me. I will miss those pretty splash images though. One of the few reasons I ever did visit the home page was to see if there had been any more of those added.

I'm with Tiki on this, I don't really understand how people can feel stalked by this, especially since you can turn off everything. I don't really understand the point of it, though I also don't understand the appeal of twitter or that facebook update thingy, but I don't feel like I'm being stalked. The info is already easy enough to find if someone wanted to check your comments page or forum posts, it's just all on one page. *Shrug*
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I don't. Everything's turned off and apparently working. But there have been incidents here where a jerk has been nice to one person in order to get information from them to follow other people around. Or simply, it would have been nicer to implement something like this in the off position. The whole making it easier part is the annoying thing when you can basically erase all pertinent information from your profile. It makes more difficult for most people, but it can make it wholly not worthwhile for stupider folk. But even forgoing annoying members, it can kinda ruin any good surprises you might be hiding from someone. Again, it's opting out of something instead of into it that's a pain. I don't consider myself less social because I choose to interact here instead of on Subeta itself, where it doesn't have the best track record in things working like they were designed to or like logic would dictate they should. I keep the giant Neocolours friend's list for some reason. I think it was because of Neocolours, the pet, and to easily spam the interactive holiday links.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I've had my entire friends feed turned off since the beginning. I think I MIGHT have things I do related to pets turned on now, but other than that... the friends feed has never bothered me. I never use it, and my stuff doesn't get posted to it, so I feel indifferent to it. I definitely don't feel 'stalked' by it - people on my Subeta friends list can usually tell what I'm doing by my status updates anyway, haha. Or because I'm talking to them in a chat program.

So... yeah. My thoughts- it's really dumb for subeta.net to redirect to the friends feed if you're a logged in user. Really? At least have it direct to the news or our inventories if we're not going to get our own splash page. But as for the friends feed itself, I've always been indifferent to it. I turned it all off ages ago and that's all I cared about xD
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I like the friend feed. It makes my subetaing feel a little more... eventful? I seldom go to people's profiles just to see if they changed anything, so the feed tells me when they have a new pet, a new paintjob, or if they add something to their wishlist I might be able to gift it, and so on. I can quietly and harmlessly keep up with my "friends" while remaining the human-interactionless hermit I really am. That's the way I like it. I doubt anyone can stalk me on subeta in a significant or unblockable way.

The main page going to the friends feed might be a glitch or temporary thing. I don't think they would've made that great new splash page just to chuck it already.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Keith posted on the feedback thread about it saying that it wasn't permanent.
Which now begs the question; why the hell was it added in the first place then? Just leave it the way it was until you were ready to implement the proper page?

Sad thing is though, I'm not surprised that it isn't going to stay. He always makes so much more work for himself.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.