Suggestion for Subeta: Hiatus mode

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Pyrostatic

Suggestion for Subeta: Hiatus mode

Post by Pyrostatic »

I'm not posting on the forums there because I'm keeping to my word to not return until I can be civil. So I'll post my suggestion here:

I think we should be able to put our accounts on a hiatus status. I suggest this because I really don't like the idea of disabling an account. I think it would just be less stressful for staff to have to go through everything to make sure that you are the owner of the disabled account and such. I think people, like me, would be less paranoid about their account being accidentally cleared if inactive for months or disabled. There is always that error that could occur.

I'm not sure if it would be better to just send in a ticket to staff to put your account in the mode, or if the user themselves could just set a date to which they want the hiatus mode to end. Or, if you are able to return earlier than the set date, you could still get in touch with the staff via a ticket and they can take your account off Hiatus mode.

What do you guys think? Too paranoid and unnecessary? Helpful and comforting for people who leave temporarily?
Discuss please. ^^
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Suggestion for Subeta: Hiatus mode

Post by Jessi »

If I've heard things correctly, actually, now the self-freeze process is automated, including the unfreeze option for that. I'm 99.9% sure I heard that somewhere, so it's basically the same thing, haha. In my opinion... if you take a hiatus for over a year, then your account SHOULD be eligible to be cleared, just like people who are frozen, self freeze, or just leave.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

In the free MUD I play, there's an automated self-freeze option where you set the length of your time away. It's important for two reasons--if you have a project due and you're afraid the game will distract you, you remove that option, heh... and for people who have legit reasons for being away. Like the military. That can make you have to be gone for a long, long time. And if you do get leave, playing a game might not be your first concern. That's one reason to have the availability for long hiatuses.
Image Image
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Oh no, I fully agree that once an account has been sitting frozen for a year, then yes, fair game to be cleared. But I agree with Ty more. I think it'd be more of a pain to lose many things, especially pet names and certain items that can't be replaced as easily. It'd be an unfair cycle if you're constantly going away and such, because you'd be constantly having to restart. And that's not really fun, in my opinion. =/