2000 Users = Free Pet Slot

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

2000 Users = Free Pet Slot

Post by Jessi »

Some of you may have seen this on the forum or heard it on the live Keith Answers tonight, but Keith said that if 2000 users come online at once any time between now and November 15th, he will give every single user a free pet slot.

HOLY HELL.

Since most of us are huge fans of pets on Subeta, haha, I thought I would definitely make a post about it here to spread the word!

Also stated was they are working on a way to have mystical plushie slots differentiate from loyalty totem slots, so that those of you that have used totems to get to 20 will still be able to 'max out' how many pets you can get total. (ie, ONLY mystical plushies will count towards 20, the rest will be for 20+. So if you had 20 pets, used two totems, then bought a MDP, you could still get to 22 if you were eligible).

..Not sure if that made sense, but! 2000 users by November 15th! Exciting stuff!
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Re: 2000 Users = Free Pet Slot

Post by Griffin »

Doesn't the site pretty much keel over and die when 1500 people try to get on?

Anyway, I hope we can do it. I've been saving sP and CSC for to get a mystical plushie because of the more frequent name clearings, so it would take a lot of pressure off. =D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Well, I would like a free pet slot!

I read in the forums that there's a plan to log in on the 23rd? So if everyone keeps doing stuff on the site on that Saturday, we could get 2k users online.
Image Image
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Jessibean wrote: Also stated was they are working on a way to have mystical plushie slots differentiate from loyalty totem slots, so that those of you that have used totems to get to 20 will still be able to 'max out' how many pets you can get total. (ie, ONLY mystical plushies will count towards 20, the rest will be for 20+. So if you had 20 pets, used two totems, then bought a MDP, you could still get to 22 if you were eligible).
That's good to hear. I plan to use at least one of my loyalty boxes for a pet slot, but haven't yet because of the way things are set up now. I doubt I'll ever have the maximum number of pets, but I still like to keep the option open.

So I have 4 boxes sitting in my inventory, taking up most of my lock spots.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Cyro wrote:Doesn't the site pretty much keel over and die when 1500 people try to get on?
In my experience. yes, it totally does. So I have zero interest in trying to get the number online higher than that; I honestly have better things to do with my time than sit there trying to get a page to load. Over and over, and as, for example, over.

At least now I'll know what day to totally avoid the site. ^^
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I was watching that stream. :D I'm excited to think that I may be getting a free pet slot. Also, Keith said that all the people who were on when the 2000 user thing hits will get an achievement with a title, and that he'll dance for us. But the pet slot is totally the most important. XD
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Kamil wrote:At least now I'll know what day to totally avoid the site. ^^
I certainly suspect that Subeta will break when that many people try to get online at once, but I don't see how refreshing the screen for the chance to get a free pet slot hurts anyone. I think it's worth a day of downtime and a little bit of frustration if everyone on the site comes out on the other end with another pet. This is one of the more exciting things to happen on Subeta in a while, and I'm really hoping it works! People in the forums seem determined to make it happen, and I would absolutely love to not have to wait another year for my next pet. I really don't see any negative side to this (with the exception of Keith's promise to dance shirtless), as long as there's an accurate users-online count before the server breaks...
Rah

Post by Rah »

I don't know, I've been online when the site has had over 2000 users before and been ok, and we've had extensive server work since the last time that even happened. Keith thinks the site could likely hold 3000 users :)

I like the idea of a site-wide login push. It feels very togetherness-y! And like bon said, it's worth a bit of lag to benefit so many people.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Unless something completely glitches, of course, when giving people that extra pet slot. That seems to happen a lot when a big event goes on I've noticed. o.o
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I'm a little confused, because I keep hearing different things from different sources:

If/when the site hits 2000 users, does every registered user get an extra pet slot, or just the users who are online at the time the site hits 2000 users. 'Cause if it's the latter, I'm going to be kind of annoyed for the people who don't happen to be on the site at that time due to bad luck/other obligations (which may or may not include me).
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on 15 Oct 2010 09:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

It looks like everyone will get a totem if this happens. Which I assume means we'll be able to use it at our convenience. Reason I say this is because the only extra pet I'm interested in getting right now is a Steamworks Kanis, but I don't have anywhere near enough sP to purchase a key or a mold yet. Probably won't for a long time, since I'm hardly ever on Subeta nowadays (alas, there's that pesky thing called a job to deal with!)

But, never mind that. I suppose I can come and take up space if it'll make others happy XD

And...good question, Officer. I'm wondering about that now, too. When I first read it I assumed that every user meant every single registered user, but now I'm not so sure.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Every single registered user will get a pet slot, regardless of whether or not they're on.

However, the users that are on WHEN the site hits 2000 will get a special achievement and forum title.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Ok, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for clearing that up, Jessi. :)
Kari

Post by Kari »

I've been holding off on using my totems because of the limit thing, so if they change it that'd be awesome :Db
derp
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

I haven't been on the Subeta forums in months now, so this was the first I had heard about this...I am excited by this news. I currently have an uneven number of pets and it bugs me to no end, so getting a free slot for just showing up has me feeling pretty happy towards the site in general. Thanks for giving us the heads up on this. I will try my best to add myself to the 2000 on the 23rd.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image