Battling Revamps

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Re: Battling Revamps

Post by Silverevilchao »

Seerow wrote:I think the critical hits comes from your speed. If your speed is X amount (over your opponent?) you get a chance to hit first before basically so you do double damage.
Hahaha, so this battle system is the Gen I battle system. [/lame Pokemon joke]
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Silverevilchao wrote:Hahaha, so this battle system is the Gen I battle system.
No, no, it isn't glitchy enou... Whoops, never mind.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Oh that sounds very logical. It would be nice if speed played into it more.
Any thoughts on were the random freezing comes from? Or maybe, as Jessi suggested, it is just random. :D
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Marah wrote: Also I had a general battle question: I have my sets sorted (sort of) and my scrolls, got the potion part figured out. And I was just looking at the mod slots.
So, some questions about those for people who are kind enough to answer: Are there any "favoured icons" to add, do you prefer to add icons of the kind the weapon allready has, or give it some icons it didn't have before?
Do you like the special crystals (Critical Strike Tear Crystal, Blessing of Natural Armor Tear Crystal, Freezing Tear Crystal, Healing Tear Crystal) if yes, what weapons do you prefer to attach them to?
We've designed recent opponents (and will redesign current opponents/design new opponents) so that people can't just slap a few crystals onto a weapon and leave them forever. Mods are supposed to factor into your strategy, so different mods will be needed (or will be helpful, anyway) to beat different opponents. For an opponent that can multi-freeze, crystals that can activate an anti-freeze blessing are great. If you need a bit more power, or some varied icons, slap on some that deal damage. If you want the opportunity for a harder hit, use a critical strike. If you want to up your chances of stealing the opponent's weapons or freezing them (and you can't equip multiple stealing or freezing weapons), there are crystals for that, too. With a couple of exceptions, crystals are pretty cheap; it doesn't take a whole lot of battling time to earn new ones for swapping in.
And a question from Cranberry: Is it possible that some of my weapons do stuff that I didn't expect them to do? For example, I was trying some things out and sometimes got the message that I did double the damage. I had nothing that could double my damage (that I know of)
And in one fight I froze my opponent, but I have no freezer. The only weapon I could think of that might do that was my fierce ice blade. Allthough it doesn't say anywhere that it can freeze...
Fierce Ice Blade does have a small chance to freeze, yes. It's not marked on the hover because it's not classified as a freezer (meaning you ARE able to equip it along with a 100% freezer if you wish). We don't have a way to mark such weapons as "freezers that don't take up the freezing slot," unfortunately... not yet, anyway.

Crit hits depend on your speed. I'm not completely clear on that, because that's not weapon or opponent-related; that's in the programming that Keith and grelca do.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Cranberry wrote:We've designed recent opponents (and will redesign current opponents/design new opponents) so that people can't just slap a few crystals onto a weapon and leave them forever.
I thought the whole point of mods in the first place was to give users a reason to leave their weapons in their armory forever. To stop lending. Because lending is suuuuuuuch a big deal.
Image Image
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

I don't care about weapon lending, honestly. I believe that mods were introduced as a way to combat lending back when our predecessors were in charge, but that's not necessary with this system. With the new tier system, lower-tier pets won't be able to borrow godlies and punch way above their level, and we've deterred people from lending pets by making them lose some stats when transferred (pet lending was much more of an issue). Now mods can be used more for strategy.

Please don't assume that we agree with everything Ryan said when he was an admin, or everything Keith said back then. Keith's opinions on some things have evolved, and Ryan is gone, along with the old battle system. :)

Edited to add: Hopefully third time's the charm with the Trident situation.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I know it's from quite a while ago, but Ryan made a topic here about critical hits which is a bit more indepth. I'm pretty sure the mechanics are still the same.
Subeta: Thomas
Cranberry

Re: New Features/Updates

Post by Cranberry »

Marah wrote: I like that the battleshop got new weapons and I'm secretly hoping for some blue building love because it has no weapons for sale at the moment.
Here you go: http://subeta.net/news/12554

It's only a tier 3, but it's a neat little weapon, drawn by the lovely bean. :)
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Since my 3 battle pets are tier 2, 3 and 4. I'm not complaining at all :)
It's lovely!