Masquerade Plot Thread

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Slugawoo

Re: Masquerade Plot Thread

Post by Slugawoo »

Boy, I sure love going through a seemingly random (but not, just overly complicated) maze while the site crawls slow as molasses! This would have been so much less tedious if they'd used north, south, east and west instead of left, right, forward and "back" (which apparently means "turn around" in their dictionary, but they seem to have changed it now).

Nope, I do not like this one bit. I actually had to get a piece of graphing paper and draw a map. Which I keep getting lost in, because by the time the stupid pages loads, I've forgotten where I am and which direction I'm facing. Yaaay.

Also, I do not appreciate the forums and inventory being places that mess up your time travelling. Refresh the plot thread? Start all over again. Refresh dance links? Start all over again. /headdesk
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

You would think any sewer system would be marked and mapped for practical purposes. NOPE #becausesubeta

my sense of direction is as abysmal in games as it is in real life. I thought I was getting somewhere and I apparently just ended up back at the start ._o
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Well this is a horrible stupid step. I keep getting sent back to the beginning, twice now, and the turn around direction doesnt do squat. :| atleast you could map out your 1000 tombs in the desert plot
Image Image
ImageImage
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I still haven't gotten out. I've given up on the map, since it's not going to help anyway, seeing as the key could be in any dead end, so I have to waste my time checking them all anyway.

Resorting to the "stick to the wall" maze strategy until I find that damn key. :I How could it have even fallen so far away from the starting point to begin with?
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Finally finished after an hour or two... making a map really did help! I just drew a bunch of arrows on paper, and was very careful to retrace my steps upon hitting a dead end. It's helpful to note that the appearance of the area isn't static so a straight path will look red once, blue another time; it's only the direction that stays the same. Maintenance areas are randomly generated and don't show up in the same places, so don't let them confuse you.

In the end it took ~50 steps from start to finish, excluding the pesky dead ends.

These maps are randomly generated, right?
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

What on EARTH. This is the most obnoxious, unnecessarily long and difficult maze. I've been clicking through it for a good hour now, and I still haven't made any progress (that I can tell). It's amazing that I can get this horribly lost when there are so few actual choices, but by now I shouldn't be surprised. Subeta loves tedious clicking more than anything else. The only explanation I can come up with is that Keith gets extra money for every page click, because otherwise I can't figure out the logic behind these plot steps.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

Finally finished. Goddamn, what a pain in the ass. I did it following these rules:

1. Always go right.
2. If you can't go right, go straight.
3. If you can't go right or straight, go left.
4. If you hit a dead end, turn around, then keep going right.

That should guarantee you check every dead end and don't hit the same place twice (unless you have to backtrack, which you will). The maps seem to be generated in a way in which there aren't any loops, so you shouldn't end up stuck going in circles.

And yes, the mazes are randomly generated for every user, according to one of the UAs on the plot thread.

Edit: Whoo, and now I'm somehow losing the card game without ever even having the joker in my hand? This entire plot step is dumb.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

It sounds like I officially can't deal with this plot step tonight. Hopefully it will still be around through the weekend.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

That totally worked for me Slugawoo. :)
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Thanks slugawoo, that was a brilliant tip!
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

The maze I can actually forgive. At least you could map it. (If you're getting turned around, check out the URLs on the 'Go Left', etc links; they actually do point north, south, east, and west, which helps when you lose track of which way you're facing. I started facing south; dunno whether everyone does.)

The card game, though. There is no user input! Literally none! Cheat! is more strategic than this. (Also, I love that the dashing, shady fighter pilots are betting on the game better known as Old Maid. "Stealth Bomber", hah... go on, guys, break out the teacups, we know you want to.)
bonecrivain wrote:Subeta loves tedious clicking more than anything else. The only explanation I can come up with is that Keith gets extra money for every page click, because otherwise I can't figure out the logic behind these plot steps.
Well, there are ads on the page, so... I guess he does. Does that make it better or worse?
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Server Too Busy

Well.. great.

How many times are we supposed to play the card game? I cant check the forum or anywhere, otherwise, it kicks me out of the past.
Image Image
ImageImage
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Five times. He won't tell you when you've hit that, either (or at least he didn't when I played yesterday), so you have to go back to Wild Aces HQ to get his congratulations message.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

There's a reason Old Maid is a kid's game. It requires no skill at all except mayyybe testing someone's poker face, and obviously that part is void in this case. They went to a lot of effort to design a set of cards for one of the most boring games possible. I'm sure it could have been worse, but "requires no skill" and "wastes your time when you randomly lose" is pretty damn bad.
Image Image
Runic

Post by Runic »

I just clicked randomly in the maze. Took me 10-15 minutes to succeed. It 'effing sucked.
I just...look, I get the point that plots on Subeta and even Neopets, they have to have some difficulty to them, otherwise everyone and their mom and pet cat could do it.
But plots are supposed to be fun as well, and frankly, this step was the freaking opposite. It didn't even cross my mind that I should try to make a grid map, because I was still half-asleep and sipping coffee. Dumb luck that random clicking got me to the end of it.

Please, have mercy on us with future plot/steps if this sort of puzzle decides to be used again. Maybe have our HA in the game actually draw the grid map as we go along the path, and refer to it if we need to? Since it's randomized for each user, then there's no need to worry about cheating. It'd feel a bit more realistic, I know I'd bring paper and pen to make a map if I was down in the sewers of Harrisburg. o.O

The card game was okay, too simple imo. Wish there was an achievement for winning the required 5 games straight, cause I got a lucky streak and finished it quickly. Anyone else think Marco's a bit...dense? The lights are on yet no one's home....huh. I like him. He's cute. xD

Continuing with more positiveness, I managed to re-do the 3rd step correctly, thanks to the programmers who fixed the glitch; I felt dissatisfied in accidentally skipping out on some stuff. x3