EPICon 2013

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: EPICon 2013

Post by Jessi »

Marah, Grace has been trying to make it mobile, but right now there's no way to input the numbers on smartphones :c
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I'm rather annoyed at myself that I didn't get all the points available for the day yesterday. I got just a handful of games in of Subeku since I was gone all day and had to go to bed early. I just know there's going to be an awesome top prize that you need to have all the available points to get! That said I will be insanely happy when I don't have to play this game on medium because I suck at Sudoku and it takes me ages to complete them. I will be happy when I can play on very easy mode to get my allotted 10 points :)

Edit: The seashell game is really really easy to "cheat" at. All you have to do is right click the "Are you ready?" link and have it open in a new window. Voila, you can compare the shells to your hearts content to select the right one. You could also take a screenshot of the shell, but I found this to be a bit quicker.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Cranberry wrote:I saw that Tom's status over on Subeta yesterday was something like "Stealth Bomber makes time go backwards," and I concur.
The truth! I have to say, with the tweaks it has become much better, but the first couple of days were horrible. I still don't find it too fun. I made it to 15 wins on hard on Subeku today so did the others on Very Easy, which definitely lives up to its name. I fill in anything obvious, spam the 25 hints and the rest is a breeze. I was getting into the flow of Hard games though; I managed to finish one game in just under 5 minutes as I had a very straightforward board. But I enjoy logic puzzles anyway. Subeku is definitely my favourite of the games so far. Seashell Spotter is super easy but not really fun. Stealth Bomber is much better now you don't have to win. On the second day I ended up playing 20 games for 10 wins, almost always being tantalisingly close to victory. I was very much losing my patience. But currently I have completed everything to its fullest. I do need to start working on a cosplay but think I know who I'm going to enter as. :D It's not something that's going to win (I'm not really into any anime/fandoms that seem to rule Subeta) but eh, that part doesn't bother me.
Subeta: Thomas
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Marah, Grace has been trying to make it mobile, but right now there's no way to input the numbers on smartphones :c
I know, on my phone I can select the square, but it doesn't show my keyboard, so I can't type. i wish the numbers were clickable like this site:
http://www.sudokunet.nl/
select a square and the numbers show up on the page itself.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Subeta was down for an hour at the end of yesterday, and up for about one pageload in ten for an hour before that. I couldn't finish half the games on the list because I could not load the site (plus lost a 100+ streak on Seashell Spotter, the only game it was anywhere near possible to finish, because apparently mad refreshing changes the shell you're looking for). Half the time I couldn't even get through to the standard Subeta error page, just their server's generic one. Ridiculous. After midnight Subeta time I gave up and figured they'd have something about it in the news tomorrow—a smattering of free points for everyone, a chance to make it up, you know, something like what they've done the other times their apparent total lack of QA has led to difficulty for the users this event. (I shouldn't even care, but you know there's going to be a bonus for maxing out your scores.)

Nothing. Not a mention. I'm actually too annoyed to look up how to file a ticket right now. (Do they even have a ticket system anymore? Am I going to have to post on the forums?) This site, you guys.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I thought the way they handled the sudoku error was very good (and since it had affected me, I very happily claimed the free points). It made up for the problems I'd had, for sure. Yesterday was also problematic. I got shitty scores on my 10 plays of the Raceway game and when I got a 5k+ score after that, it wouldn't send because I'd used up my plays. I heard that later they fixed it so good scores would actually count, but it was too late for me to do anything about it.

They also did improve Raceway a lot--you can actually move your plane quickly now, so it's not like guiding a fatass--so when I played today, almost all my scores were above 5k. But of course, no bonus points for that. I still dislike Raceway because of the luck factor; I got close to the end quite a few times and then three planes would liberally drape the area in bombs, leaving me nowhere to exist. You'd think three lives would be enough to get past the last tiny bit of the time trial, but... they ain't, not for me.
Image Image
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yeah I'll be interested to see what they do about yesterday. I'd done everything up until then to 100%, so if not being able to do 7 games of Stealth Bomber counts against me I'll be pissed off. I'm expecting an announcement of some kind so am holding off filing a ticket or anything (Foghawk, tickets still exist! Check under the 'Subeta' hover). I guess it's hard because it's about finding a balance. You can't really invalidate the whole day because of an hour and a half of downtime (or can you? I dunno, maybe it'd be justified, but it'd piss lots of people off too).

I've actually enjoyed Raceway (came just over 100 meters from the finish line on Hard earlier, grrrr) and love Divine Discs. I actually play it sometimes in the temple anyway for fun.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh yeah, about tickets--I disabled the hover (with a chance it was your code to do so, Foghawk), so it's under the "Help" link on the Navigation module.

The discs game is really good. I'm pleased to see one of my constant favorites in logic puzzles having an official spot on Subeta.
Image Image
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Right with you guys on not getting all available points for yesterday. I believe I just had some games of Stealth Bomber left to play but there might have been a few more points I missed out on other games because of the site being so buggy then completely down. I hope they don't have a 100% completion prize or something. Even if they gave extra points, it wouldn't really make a difference since people who did complete everything before the end of the day would just get the extra points tacked onto their score and still have more.

Edit:
And the site is back down, surprise surprise. At least today I got all my games done.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Divine discs again! Excellent. I haven't been participating much since I've been (1) on vacation, followed by (2) running about like a chicken with my head cut off preparing to (3) go on vacation again. (Horrible burden, I know! ;-) ) But this way I can rack up a fast 20 points in between laundry and packing. (I like sudoku, but the amount of time it takes to get just one point seems excessive.)
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Playing Stealth Bomber when the site is broken in a royal pain in the ass. *Public ranting*
Tom

Post by Tom »

From what I can gather, Wings, even though all games are worth the same 'EPICon points' they aren't worth the same prize points. So a game of Subeku should be worth more at the end, I think?

Last night, fighting with Cloudflares and down pages, I had to play 9 games of Subeku to register 3 wins. It was so tedious. I learnt my lesson today and did everything a bit earlier (and didn't leave Stealth Bomber until last! For which my hatred has reignited, it's just oh so dull), which is good because the site followed its destiny and collapsed dramatically. Didn't get the chance to do my cosplay entry, though, but eh tomorrow some time. The Metal Gear box yesterday made me change my potential direction.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Tom wrote:From what I can gather, Wings, even though all games are worth the same 'EPICon points' they aren't worth the same prize points. So a game of Subeku should be worth more at the end, I think?
I don't understand; then what's the point of EPICon points? How do you know that some games will be worth more prize points?
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

AngharadTy wrote:
Tom wrote:From what I can gather, Wings, even though all games are worth the same 'EPICon points' they aren't worth the same prize points. So a game of Subeku should be worth more at the end, I think?
I don't understand; then what's the point of EPICon points? How do you know that some games will be worth more prize points?
Wait, what? Is this some sort of bizarre secret point system? Bleh.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I don't think that's accurate...