Reading Drive 2013

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Reading Drive 2013

Post by Seerow »

Not being able to turn in all books this year actually is awesome for me right now as I've made over 35mil in about 2hrs on the books I had stored away. I donated all the books I could then just stuck the rest in my shop and called it a day. I did try keeping them all in my inventory to do today's Library quests but I forgot that you couldn't buy anything if you have over 250 items in your inventory (I had like...800) so I ended up having to quickstock all the books into my shop after about 15 or so quests when it asked for a book I didn't have any longer. Oops!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Well, a lot of my work is apparently not going towards the reading drive--unless library quests happen to ask for books I already bought and stored for the drive, and it's an annoying grind to search through my reading drive shop for every quest (and obviously taking them all out at once is problematic in its own right). Especially because I have a PIN set for that and oof, this is going to get aggravating. Still going to do it, because hell, I already spent this many hours working up to this point, but... oof. That just sums it up. It's fantastic that Alexander's quests play a role in earning points, but I still have so many restockable books in my gallery that aren't anywhere near guaranteed to be turned in for points.... Honestly, would it be better to autoprice my book gallery and just buy books for the quests?
Image Image
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Wait Alexanders side quest is a daily change-able thing? I started yesterday and I got the note and I couldn't select the quiz answers and I just left it till today because I asumed it was broken. Because, well, a lot of events on subeta aren't working properly right from the start, so I just assumed that was the case and I would be able to continue today :(

Off course right now subeta isn't loading at all, so I can't do anything.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I have my custom search plugin (dictionarysearch) set to search in my gallery. It makes it super fast to pull out my stashed books for quests. That's the only way I could afford to do the quests today...

In the last RD, I turned in 521 books. In my hoard of 16,000+ unique items, I only came up with 85 books to turn in. I know the RD always favored the rich, but this is far, FAR worse than it was before. I don't have hundreds of millions of sP to do anywhere near as well as I did the last time, and there's still 1442 points worth of old prizes on my wishlist that I'm clearly not going to make a dent in. Plus I don't see why the drive couldn't wait until after the recode. I love it when Subeta is active, but the site isn't in any shape to handle it right now. ~_~

The Scavenger Hunt is a highlight. I'm glad they listened to feedback during Epicon and gave us something interesting and different to do each day. And I like that I can vend rare books. It makes up for the massive inflation and loss of retired unrestockables... kind of.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Seerow wrote:I really hope Alexander get updated soon with his new mini quest. It's not good to have plot steps that can only be done in a 24hr time span then not have them updated as close to midnight as possible. Time zones and busy schedules and all that.
Though I admit it worked well for me -- I didn't get on until after midnight Subeta time last night but still got to do the scavenger hunt. (I did miss a day of library quests, though.)
Griffin wrote:...there's still 1442 points worth of old prizes on my wishlist that I'm clearly not going to make a dent in.
I got the impression that the prices of items are going to be lowered to reflect the fact that it's no longer possible to get as many points as it was before. At least, I'm sure hoping that's the case!

ETA: Whew. Just got a jolt of andreneline when I went to remove some of my zombie books from the shop I store my books in and instead of removing "1" I accidentally set the price to "1"! Luckily I got them all changed back before anyone bought any!
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Wingsrising wrote:I got the impression that the prices of items are going to be lowered to reflect the fact that it's no longer possible to get as many points as it was before. At least, I'm sure hoping that's the case!
Oh, that's good to hear. If I can turn in 200 books and continue to do well on the quests, I'll probably end up with 1/3rd to a quarter of the max points (better than I was thinking). I can't imagine they're going to let the old weapons devalue too much, though.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Things deflated since last night, so I did some Library quests. I got 3 of those Saheric Textbooks. Read one to Tohil, turned one in and made almost 500k off the third one.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Griffin wrote:
Wingsrising wrote:I got the impression that the prices of items are going to be lowered to reflect the fact that it's no longer possible to get as many points as it was before. At least, I'm sure hoping that's the case!
Oh, that's good to hear. If I can turn in 200 books and continue to do well on the quests, I'll probably end up with 1/3rd to a quarter of the max points (better than I was thinking). I can't imagine they're going to let the old weapons devalue too much, though.
That was what I thought they meant by re-adjusting prices -- I hope they won't go UP! I'm sure the expensive stuff will still be expensive relative to the number of possible points. What I'm hoping is that it will be like previous years, where you can still get plenty of nice prizes, even if not the tippy-top prizes, if you gave a good effort but can't afford to drop tremendous amounts of money on books.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

The prices won't go up! Point totals will be lower this year, so we'll be adjusting everything down. We're going to figure out this coming weekend how much everything should cost. It's our goal to keep the weapons rare, but not unobtainable.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Well my bank account is crying sadly in the corner, but I donated 600 books. I had roughly 350 that I could turn in then the rest were all bought. There seems to be a glitch with the achievements though, I got the donate 500 books after donating only 400 then when I got to 600 it said I had donated 750. Still got them okay and the prizes. Now to figure out if the Thunderball is a good weapon or not.

Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

It's good. It's a strong bomb with a nice blessing.

And I think the achievement is glitchy because it originally asked for 750 books, but we got Ariel to change it because that was way too high!
moonsyne

Post by moonsyne »

I got all the points for the games event that I could possibly earn. I'm not a quitter ;)

... but I turned in my hoard, sold all the copies of non-restockables, and spent all that on un-RSing books I did not have (starting from cheapest) and am all out of books! Prices are too high for Alexander quests IMO. I think I am DONE.
Image Image
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Are we allowed to do more than 30 (with GA) Alexander quests per day? Cause the start quest button isn't going away after 30/30 for me. There hasn't been anything in the news/forums stating otherwise that I've found, but I haven't wanted to try either.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Joey, if you try to do more quests it gives you an error saying you've already completed the 30 for the day.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Oh good. I figured that might be the case, but didn't want to tempt fate.

I managed to scrounge up 100 books to turn in. I have a couple more, but I like it at an even 100 right now.