Weapons/ Battling questions

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Weapons/ Battling questions

Post by Wingsrising »

So, I have a couple of weapons questions.

One, I need to figure out how to spend my Reading Drive points. Subeta forum consensus seems to be that after you have the Reviver of the Lion, the Soma Tablets are the best thing to get (even though Truth Serum is prettier!) However, is that still true even with the Recycle Blaster, which turns out to be quite cheap? Is it worth the Reading Drive points, weapons slot, and one less chance at an attack to have both?

Two, on impulse I picked up a Forj Tempered Machete for 10 million sP, which is a lot of sP for me. Was this a silly thing to do? It looks like it's really the only attacker that might be better than my Azathoth combo in terms of icons, and has the advantage that it takes fewer slots than the combo, but am I misreading things? Is it better than the Azathoth glove with the combo?

That makes my set at the moment the Forj Tempered Machete, the Reborn Icewand of Doom, Gorgun, Mystical Star Shuriken (a very underpowered bomb, I know), the Recycle Blaster, Phoenix Quill, and Reviver of the Lion.

Three, how far up the battle tree should I be able to go with a Tier 6 pet? I can beat Pete fairly easily and the Killer King with great difficulty (I've only coaxed 3 wins out so far) and nothing else above Pete. Is this normal or am I missing something I should be doing that would help?
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: Weapons/ Battling questions

Post by Cranberry »

The Soma Tablets are great for a few reasons. They turn one of the opponent's weapons into an Empty Pillbox, which the opponent will sometimes use in place of one of their weapons -- this can save your ass in a fight! They grant you a random blessing and the opponent a random curse, and the pool of blessings/curses is all good. They also have a small chance to freeze.

The machete is one of the better t6 attackers, or at least it will be in a few minutes when Purge buffs it a little (we were just looking at it and decided it wasn't good enough).

As far as opponents go, you should be good up through Felibot and Fish Breath Jacques, stats-wise. You may need to change up your weapons and strategy. The BC chat is actually really helpful if you ask for strategies! The stereotype of the elitist, mean battlers is inaccurate. I see them helping and cheering on people of all levels.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

For what it's worth, I don't think the soma tablets are a good match for everyone (nor should any weapon be *coughtridentcough*). I used some of my leftover points from the last drive on one, tried it out for a few weeks, and then wound up selling it. I think a big part of that was because I already have other blasters, things that bless/curse, and I prefer/need a more reliable freezer. It's a good weapon, for sure, and they come pretty universally recommended. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. For me they didn't make a difference. It's possible that I wasn't using them to their full potential, of course, but I think mostly they weren't a good fit for my set. I really recommend a Reviver, though. Mine has become a staple.

I'm very skeptical about the whole "at tier x you should be able to beat" structure that seems so widely accepted. I'm well into t10 (2400 health, 1800+ other stats) and I still can't beat Saggy even once. I can get him down to around 2k, but that's about it. Still not even close on General Error. I've beat Ice King twice, but now I'm stuck with him too (plus to get those wins I had to buy and use the weapon he drops... sigh). It seems everywhere I look people say that you "should" be able to beat Saggy at tier 9. A loooot lot lot still depends on your weapons set. My set isn't worth billions, but it's fairly decent. Trying for so long to beat an opponent and not being able to is frustrating enough. Being told you "should" be able to just makes it even worse. I think most of the time it's meant as helpful advice but... nnnnot so much.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Strategy? You mean besides "Freeze + Recycle Blaster, Best Weapon + Bomb (although it's kind of a sucky bomb), Beat on opponent, healing when necessary, until one or both of us is dead?" Yeah, I can see how that might help. ;-)

I did surprise myself by beating FeliBot once tonight -- although I used a bunch of Dark Water Potions and am not brave enough to try for twice just now. But Jacques? Well, maybe, if I use potions.

It's not a stereotype of unhelpful battlers so much as avoiding the forums in general. Dunno why, I just got used to it on Neopets and continue the trend on Subeta. I read threads that seem useful, but rarely post.

So I picked the right time to buy the machete? Cool! I modded it out with a Critical Hit Tear crystal and a Singed Baguette crystal (which seem well-thought-of) although dunno, maybe I should have gone for Blessing of Natural Armor instead of Critical Hit. (I have a Blessing of Natural Armor crystal on my Icewand.)

ETA: I'm using Singed Stuffing as my one scroll at the moment, the others mentioned in the recommended scroll thread following my question a few months back being a little rich for my blood, and I liked the combination of attacking and healing with every turn. I'll be interested to see if the Cobalt Eternal Scroll makes a re-appearance in the Millionaire Center, though, maybe for winter?
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I'm glad to read this, I spent almost all of my reading drive points on the reviver and the soma tablets. I have been able to beat all of the hard opponnents 10 times, but haven't been able to beat felibot yet.

But I still use the azatoth set, I might have to look into a new attacker soon.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

As far as I can tell, there aren't actually very many Tier 6 weapons that are better than the Azathoth set. They're just that good. I'm hardly an expert, though! :-)

In other news, I tried out Daemon (100% water blocker) on Jacques and -- nah, he still kicked my butt. Maybe if I used a bunch of Dark Something potions but I was just losing too much attacking power otherwise (although the critical hit he scored one round when he happened to be using non-water, non-recycled weapons didn't help).
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

Wingsrising wrote: In other news, I tried out Daemon (100% water blocker) on Jacques and -- nah, he still kicked my butt. Maybe if I used a bunch of Dark Something potions but I was just losing too much attacking power otherwise (although the critical hit he scored one round when he happened to be using non-water, non-recycled weapons didn't help).
Jacques is one case where the Truth Serum might actually come in handy; he has a blessing that usually activates pretty early on that prevents stealing, but with the Serum you'll still be able to get one thing. If you can steal his Pistol, you can use that against him. It deals a lot of fire and light, which he doesn't block very much of (if any, I can't remember clearly at the moment). If you steal the Pirate Tears, though, DON'T USE THEM! It's an instant game over.

Which brings me to another point I wanted to make about the Truth Serum vs. the Soma Tablets. The problem with stealing, for a lot of opponents, is there are so many countermeasures they have against it - useless weapons that aren't worth stealing, weapons that will instakill your pet if you use them ( :x ), blessings that prevent stealing in the first place. It's generally better to blast an opponent's weapons.

I don't actually have the Soma Tablets, but I think they have a some kind of blessing? Whereas the Recycle Blaster doesn't deal any damage at all unless you slap a mod crystal on it. So I can see the advantage there. I didn't know what both of them did, so a couple of years ago I chose the Truth Serum over the Tablets because it was pretty, and wanted it anyway for a pet's treasure chest. But its practical use is, in my experience, situational at best. I would have got the Tablets this year, but I only made 137 points from the Reading Drive (don't procrastinate, kids!) Still haven't picked up a Reviver, either. =( Gotta try harder next year, I guess.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Yeah, I'd read that -- that stealing isn't actually that useful against one-player opponents. Do the blessings that prevent stealing also prevent blasting? The useless weapons clearly will effect blasting.

Once when I was fighting FeliBot it looked like I managed to blast an item that was OPB and had just been used, so was broken already anyway. :-( Or did FeliBot have more of them? It never used the useless recycled weapon that battle, anyway.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I think a lot of opponents have multiple of some of their OPB weapons to counteract the stealing/blasting but that may be wrong.

My pet Ishka is a tier 11 with close to 2500 in each stat and I can't beat most of the opponents I probably should be able to. I would likely have better luck if I used the potions more, but they are such a pain in the ass to equip (I would kill to have a "bank" where I toss them all and they just auto replenish...) and very expensive, especially when you keep losing, that I rarely bother with them.

I bought a Soma Tablet and Reviver during the RD but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.
Last edited by Seerow on 18 Sep 2013 08:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I know I complain about Subeta a lot, so I just wanted to say, the whole weapon mod system sounds awesome. And the enemies with increasing difficulty, and exp and item drops, and other stuff. This thread almost makes me want to explore the Subeta battling thing. I look forward to reading more about it.

(Do the mod crystals have images? They sound really pretty...)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Here are some of the mod crystals. I've definitely collected a bunch for treasures and galleries. They come in different shapes, too.
Image Image
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

thelonetiel wrote:(Do the mod crystals have images? They sound really pretty...)
Yup, they're regular items like any other. And yup, they're pretty! You can see them here:

Tear crystals: http://www.subetalodge.org/list_all/sea ... /mode/name
Baguette crystals: http://www.subetalodge.org/list_all/sea ... /mode/name
Seerow wrote: I would likely have better luck if I used the potions more, but they are such a pain in the ass to equip (I would kill to have a "bank" where I toss them all and they just auto replenish...) and very expensive, especially when you keep losing, that I rarely both with them.
THIS. It's a pain in the rear to keep equipping those potions.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Seerow, the potions aren't that expensice if you drop by the apothecary on a regular basis. There are ususally a few in stock.
I would kill to have a "bank" where I toss them all and they just auto replenish...
This! So so much, because I either let them sit around clogging my inventory or I have to drag the out of my vault every time...

Wings, my current battleset is the gorgun, soma tablets, reborn wand of doom, reviver of the lion, phoenix quill and the azahoth set. The azahoth set needs to be complete to be at its most powerful ,so that leaves me little room to play around with other combinations of weapons.

upside is that both my tier 5 and tier 6 can battle with this as a standard set, which is so very handy!
Runic

Post by Runic »

I've had my Forj Machete equipped to Elfric for some time now, and it's good for a lot of opponents weak to fire and such. Also I've modded it with 1 Singed and 1 Parched Baguettes, but I think it automatically does that as a curse/blessing? I also use the Forj Shield which has saved me from opponents like Wyrmgear and Forj Erupting, which deal out tons of fire...but the shield is semi-breakable.

For your RIWoD, I'd mod it with Parched Baguettes. You can never be too careful, especially with opponents like the Hustler, who can steal your weapons practically every turn (or he'll be cheap and use an Extremely Emo Spork first round -grumbles-). So yes, Parched Baguettes are your friends.

Also, Scrolls. SCROLLS ARE ALSO FRIENDS. Cobalt Eternal has good blocking, Fatal Fire is great to defend against Slavam, Soothing Current is useful for healing, and there are several others that are fairly reasonable in attacking, freezing, blocking too. Just...the really good ones are overly expensive to make or end up as 5th win loot from the really tough guys. But you'll get the really good ones eventually, just takes time and lots of battling.

Make sure you use up your EXP that you earn. I tend to hoard until I hit 100k EXP, then mass-boost El. Plus I can keep his stats evened (I have an OCD with his stats ending in 5's or 0's) and control his Level when I know it needs to be increased for training center purposes (but that's more of a nuisance for me).

OH. OH. Dammit how could I forget, the Shards of Space and Time (SoST)? GREAT FREEZER. Seriously, get that and using it with the RIWoD in the same round, seriously increases your chances of freezing. I've even had some battles where I just chain-freeze my opponent to death. Quite hilarious.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Runic wrote:For your RIWoD, I'd mod it with Parched Baguettes. You can never be too careful, especially with opponents like the Hustler, who can steal your weapons practically every turn (or he'll be cheap and use an Extremely Emo Spork first round -grumbles-). So yes, Parched Baguettes are your friends.
I think it's Blessing of Natural Armor that does stealing/freezing and Parched Baguettes only protect against freezing?

If I use two of them, does that double my chances of it activating?

Right now I'm only using EXP for level (since that's cheapest) but if it keeps building up I may use it for other stats as well.