Keith asks: What do users want?

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Keith

Re: Keith asks: What do users want?

Post by Keith »

Sunwolf wrote:How about backups taken in a timely manner, or taken correctly? At first it was "server crashed, so we're going to do a backup of a few seconds", then it was "ten minutes", and now it's "30 minutes." Fixing whatever the hell this problem is would go a long way in keeping user trust.
We are working to fix it, and we have worked to fix it. We are using a replication method of backing up, which is to the second. This time, however the replication failed two days ago, and no one noticed. We now have a check in place that text messages either myself or Alex when the replication breaks. (There isn't an easy way to check. And it's not something you remember to do when you're checking things, because it doesn't show up, it LOOKS like it's working)

And, we also have a kernel level backup, that takes the backup and sends it to an off-server location, provided by this service. The problem was, that this service crashed when we tried to retrieve the backup, we called our technician, who had to call them, and that's how we got it up. We had a backup, and that's what the site came back up to. We don't just go 'boom' and the backup pops up though, we're talking about 20+GB of data that needs to be populated into a database. It doesn't take five minutes for MySQL to load all of that data.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Oh, and another thing: more Mahar colors! ::coughbloodredcough:: ^_^

{eta:}
I would also like it if this shirt wouldn't take my boobs away.
Last edited by lavender on 25 Jul 2008 05:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

lavender wrote:Oh, and another thing: more Mahar colors! ::coughbloodredcough:: ^_^
Along that note, more Illumis colors. Pleeease. xD;;
aura_bryt_dorigomi

Post by aura_bryt_dorigomi »

i agree with the putting stickers in our own albums... a friend gave me the stickers and i don't want to just put them in my gallery sence they were gifts...but can't put them in the sticker album.....humm some new wigs for HA's could be fun too if there is time ^.^
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Stickers are fun as a social event, though :( Way more than the beanbag/cards/plushies collection.

Perhaps cheaper costumes, who aren't Subeautique/Costume Trunk related?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I don't see why stickers can't be a fun social event as well as something you can do on your own. I don't have 1000 friends on Subeta like some of the other popular Subeta users and I rarely get random gifts, stickers or otherwise.

While it may be fun for you and others who have friends like that like to gift, for a lot of people stickers are just an aspect of the site to not get involved in. Sure, I can smail someone from here or a friend to trade stickers with, but its a step I shouldn't have to take.

I think it would make both parties happy if stickers could be added to your own collection or added by friends. You could even have separate collections for those that were gifted, and vice versa, or have a few stickers that can only be added if they are sent to you.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

How about a wearable version of our active pet? I seem to remember this mentioned before and always thought it was a cute idea. I would also LOVE a double bun hairstyle. Not Leia from Star Wars but more like the anime girls wear.

BTW, I love all the little changes and improvements to the site. They have made Subeta fun again :o
Not all who wander are lost.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I don't see why stickers can't be a fun social event as well as something you can do on your own. I don't have 1000 friends on Subeta like some of the other popular Subeta users and I rarely get random gifts, stickers or otherwise.
But you already have THREE collections of stuff you can do on your own. :(
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

What's one more collection going to hurt though? Its not like it would affect you or others who send stickers to friends if people could add to their own collections. They could have a separate section for stickers that were given to you by friends and have special ones that could only be added by friends to help keep people interested in that aspect of it. Its just a royal pain having to get together with someone and set up trades if you want stickers added to your own collection.

Stickers are pretty and I'd love to display them on my profile, but if I have to constantly jump through hoops to do so, I'll just admire them from afar.

Edit:
Ohh, I have something to actually add to the topic :) I'd like to how items are moved around on things such as pet treasures and such to be tweaked. It may just be me, but I have the hardest time moving stuff around. It won't let you move an item over sideways, you can just go up and down, but sometimes it doesn't actually move or it just seems to move wherever it wants. This probably isn't a very high priority, but it would make treasure arranging and pet ordering among other things go a lot more smoothly.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

You can move an item sideways. It only works in FF, not IE, and it feels like fighting--not necessarily the best system! But at least it exists... They do seem to go where they want a lot of the time. Pracer has 8 treasures and it took me far too long to manage to get the 4 gems on the top row--I gave up arranging the bottom at all. It became like one of those slide puzzles, except I like and am good at those!
Image Image
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Hmm I tried going sideways with FF and it never let me. I'm not using the latest version though, I can't stand version 3, so that may be the problem.

A quote from Huggles on the Economy thread reminded me of something I would love to see happen; pet themed items. Most of the items released don't seem to tie into the Subeta world as a whole. To go with Huggles example of the recently released cake frostings, I mean sure they are pretty but I don't know of many people who just collect cake frosting. However, if they were pet/minion/npc themed cake frosting, a bunch of people would probably grab them for pet treasures or galleries. I would love to see items released that are themed around pets, as at the moment each species pretty much only has a plushie and beanbag to represent it. Not saying every item released has to be themed after pets, but it would be nice to see more of them released.

Edit: Ohh, it worked now heh. Apparently I wasn't moving my mouse enough. Is there a reason I have to move it half way across my screen for the item to move just one slot?
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

I agree with Seerow on the sticker issue. I don't have many friends either - or at least ones that give gifts, so stickers for me are something I can never really have. They're just something to look at because if I buy any, I can't use them.

And I don't see why we can't be allowed to put stickers in our own album and still have the social giving as of right now. It makes it more fair for players like me who play 'on their own' in a way.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

I'd like to see the Fragmentizer's shop page get tweaked. Not sure if it my comp, browser, or if its the same for everyone, but the rows are all messed up and the "Amount in stock" number is cut off.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Farseek wrote:How about a wearable version of our active pet? I seem to remember this mentioned before and always thought it was a cute idea.
I would like to see the pet thing too, but not necessarily your active pet.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I really want less items, so that they have more significance. There are just so many junky, useless things that flood the site, it makes it frustrating. On Neo, I love my Gallery, and it's the reason why I'm still there, but on Subeta, I could have a thousand items I love in there, and it'd still seem like any other mundane Gallery. Themes are extremely hard to collect, there's either none or a million.

Weapons are either horrible, or amazing. Minions are almost as useless as any other item and the 40 colours of each clothing item irritates me to no end as well. I don't think there are enough people on Subeta to support the amount of items. Subeta seems like it has more items than Neopets on there, yet Neopets has about 50,000 people online at a time where Subeta has less than 1000. Something seems wrong there.

Subeta really needs to develop the world more, have more games and take the focus away from HA's and items. Not completely, but it definitely needs balancing. Of course, I have no real suggestions to accomplish this, I'm just happy to rant away.